Resignation of President and Executive of Canoeing Ireland

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

annie
Re: Resignation of President and Executive of Canoeing Irela

Post by annie » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:17 pm

After much thought I won't be renewing my CI membership when it expires in February. I would definitely be interested in maintaining reg. with the TDU and am looking into CANI for competition entry. Am in the process of joining a canoe club that doesn't AFAIK require me to be a CI member or automatically register me with CI. The only thing left then is holding positions on CI technical committees - my term is up in October and I hadn't expected be able to commit to another 2 year term then.

Other sports have official NGBs and alternative counterparts. Check out the official NGB for judo - http://www.irishjudoassociation.ie/ and the organisation that promotes the sport http://www.judoireland.com.

Adrians

Post by Adrians » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:36 pm

It's really hard know what to say about all of this.

As a long time CI member the only reason I am a member these days is to keep my TDU / CI coaching qualification valid. Like many who have posted in this thread I have attended AGM's in the past and seen things happen that deify logic.

I voted for Pat and I trust his decision was the correct and right thing to do, while I don't know him too well personally I have seen his fantastic work since in paddle sport in Ireland for many many years.

I'm not sure if any one can or is willing to confirm what happened to lead this current situation. (If some one want to DM or Email me that would be great)

I assume the motion was related to the whole GM position and how it was created and the hiring process and how very improper is was. I would hazard a guess that the GM (a role not allowed for in the CI ) contract was proposed to be removed / canceled and correct and transparent process was carried out to appoint a new CEO.

This motion was defeated and Pat etc had no choice but to step down.

That's what I think went on. I personally think that anyone who defeated the motion and supports CI's current management structure as it stands is as [EDITED BY MOD- SEANIE] as anything that has gone on in recent years and they should be ashamed of themselves.

I would support the TDU as an independent organisation but there is still a place for a differently structured CI in Irish Paddle Sport.

Adrian Shanahan
Last edited by Seanie on Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Allegation of defamation

Gonetosea

Post by Gonetosea » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:29 am

Membership of Welsh canoe association is cheaper than CANI, depending on the options you select. There has been no requirement for TDU members to also be CI members and TDU membership is cheaper than CI membership, though I believe that TDU membership may automatically give you CI memebrship.

For the TDU to float off or be a part of a new organisation, members will have to submit a motion in advance of the TDU AGM, which I believe may happen soon according to their website. In addition to proposing a motion there will have to be enough present (there is some rule on proxys) to ensure that the motion is carried. There is also a rule on membership voting, i.e to vote at the TDU AGM, you have to be a member for longer than 30 days? or something along those lines. Not all will be in favour of this and some will resist it.

roshaw_87

Post by roshaw_87 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:32 pm

In response to the last post tdu membership does entitle you to CI membership but you need to request that you are in the database as a member of the tdu and your club as this is not automatically done last time ii had to renew.This is important for CI voting rights for your club.

I don't want to affiliate with a Welsh or Northern Irish union(I'd be open to cani becoming national, but don't know anything about them?).

If there was a way instructors could band together to start a new organisation then dues and course profits(courses rarely run if they don't have sufficient numbers to break even in CI) could go to cpd and assisting starter clubs and youth development then we could legitimately claim to have kept are qualification in date.

Freestyle is unfunded by CI, sea kayaking and open canoeing are seriously under recognized and the current whitewater league is in a discipline that isn't even recognized!

If the current number of disenfranchised paddlers banded together and build a organisation build on one man one vote and transparency then we wouldn't be long becoming a strong organisation. no complicated burocrazy, no Olympic funding or sports council high performance funding. just a grass roots organization that offers training and support. As such we should still become entitled to funding from the Irish sports council as the mountaineering Ireland is. It does not have Olympic athletes and still gets funding.
087 9862517/ [email protected]
Intelligence is what you use when you dont know what to do

AndrewR

Post by AndrewR » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:02 pm

I think we need to hear from more people on the TDU committee on this proposed split(maybe we already have). Whether it is viable or not. I know its bound to be a sensitive issue for many reasons but it would be good to get their view.

http://tdu.ie/index.php/committee/

Is this still the current committee? Most positions havent been updated since 2010.

J P

Post by J P » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:31 pm

TDU Comittee 2012:

Chair - Kevin O'Callaghan
Treasurer - Alex Stanley
Secretary - Jenny Kilbride
Kayak Officer - John Pierce
Canoe Officer - Paddy McCormack
Safety Officer - Aidan Doran
PRO - Laura Griffin

The TDU AGM will be on February 16th. I would feel that is the most appropriate place to discuss views and the way forward. The membership can then decide what should be done.

Motions and nominations to [email protected]

JP

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:47 pm

J P wrote:The TDU AGM will be on February 16th. I would feel that is the most appropriate place to discuss views and the way forward. The membership can then decide what should be done.
I respectfully disagree. Meetings are good for seeking consensus and democratic decision making. However, if people leave discussing views etc. until that point nothing will get done.

If there isn't at least the basis of a plan, or plans, for people to deliberate on the TDU AGM will devolve into a talk shop. It will be a creative exercise rather than a decision making one. Meetings, especially general meetings are not a place for delivering new ideas, they are most efficient and effective when they are a place where people make decisions.

I would urge people to discuss and outline ideas, whether its on this forum, by email, phone or carrier pigeon. Iterating them until they are the best form of that idea. Then come to the meeting and propose those ideas, answer additional questions and put them to a vote.

paupier

Post by paupier » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:49 pm

J P wrote:TDU Comittee 2012:
Chair - Kevin O'Callaghan
Treasurer - Alex Stanley
Secretary - Jenny Kilbride
Kayak Officer - John Pierce
Canoe Officer - Paddy McCormack
Safety Officer - Aidan Doran
PRO - Laura Griffin
There is the Sea Kayak Officer position too, which is currently vacant. JP - correct me if I'm mistaken.

Paul.

J P

Post by J P » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:28 pm

Hi Paul,

Sea Officer is vacant as is Coaching Officer. We had an Access & Environment Officer for a while too and a Youth Officer position is likely soon too.

Seanie, I agree completely with what you said - what I meant was I don't think the committee will come on a forum and offer suggestions, ideas and solutions. Definitely needs debate and analysis before the AGM.

JP

paupier

Post by paupier » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:54 pm

J P wrote: Sea Officer is vacant as is Coaching Officer. We had an Access & Environment Officer for a while too and a Youth Officer position is likely soon too.
JP
Thanks for clearing that up JP. I hadn't even realised there was a coaching officer position :?

tadhgmac

Post by tadhgmac » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:06 pm

Adrians wrote:It's really hard know what to say about all of this.

As a long time CI member the only reason I am a member these days is to keep my TDU / CI coaching qualification valid. Like many who have posted in this thread I have attended AGM's in the past and seen things happen that deify logic.

I voted for Pat and I trust his decision was the correct and right thing to do, while I don't know him too well personally I have seen his fantastic work since in paddle sport in Ireland for many many years.

I'm not sure if any one can or is willing to confirm what happened to lead this current situation. (If some one want to DM or Email me that would be great)

I assume the motion was related to the whole GM position and how it was created and the hiring process and how very improper is was. I would hazard a guess that the GM (a role not allowed for in the CI ) contract was proposed to be removed / canceled and correct and transparent process was carried out to appoint a new CEO.

This motion was defeated and Pat etc had no choice but to step down.

That's what I think went on. I personally think that anyone who defeated the motion and supports CI's current management structure as it stands is as corrupt as anything that has gone on in recent years and they should be ashamed of themselves.

I would support the TDU as an independent organisation but there is still a place for a differently structured CI in Irish Paddle Sport.

Adrian Shanahan
I am requesting that Adrian amend his post and remove the allegation of corruption. Several findings were upheld in the investigation of the previous CEO which could be labelled "corrupt." It is unfair to use this term to describe those elected to Canoeing Ireland as "corrupt" because of the way they voted on a single motion. Pat has, himself, denied wrongdoing by the non-executive members in this regard.
Sincerely,
Tadhg MacIntyre
Chairperson
Wild-Water Racing Committee
Canoeing Ireland

geo

Post by geo » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:21 am

Last edited by Seanie on Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: allegation of defamation

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:12 pm

The word used and the way it was used can have a wide interpretation. For the sake of the ongoing discussion and fairness to all the people who sit on the ICU board lets either just avoid this semantics/name calling issue or substantiate claims. My preference is that we simply move past this, the people in question modify their posts and we proceed with the discussion.