Rush to select a new Canoe Union CEO/GM

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

Seanie
Re: Rush to select a new Canoe Union CEO/GM

Post by Seanie » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:57 pm

leftism wrote:
Seanie wrote:
Brendan wrote:It is funded not by the ICU, but by the ISC.

One more reason the ICU should be far better represent on the hiring panel.
Can you elaborate on this Seanie? I'm not trying to have a go or anything, but don't grasp your logic here. If the Irish Sports Council are the ones paying this persons salary, is their judgement of the candidate not important? Its their money after all...
The position is for the General Manager of "Canoe Ireland", not the General Manager of "Canoe Ireland, a wholly owned subsidiary of the Irish Sport Council". Canoe Ireland's goals align with that of the Irish Sport Council, but only for a subset of the ICU's/CI goals. There is a lot more to Canoe Ireland, but the ISC has no interest in that. Given the current state of affairs the GM role might even be more at odds with the demands of the Irish Sports Council.

At the risk of sending some people to sleep, I'd like to talk about how the Irish Sports Councils (ISC) has caused the implosion of many medium/small NGB's like the ICU.

Here's a snip-it of a submission to a "Special Group on Public Service Numbers and Expenditure", Dept. of the Taoiseach:
Badminton is a‘ good example of one of the medium-sized organizations and it has received praise from the ISC in recent years. It is a game with which I am very familiar. Twelve years ago it was run by a General" Secretary who was a volunteer and who received a small annual honorarium, a part-time assistant, and a State subvention of €70k.

The ISC has poured money into Badminton Ireland, €3.7 million in the 10 years l999 to 2008, and in €740kin 2008 alone, when it had a Chief Executive Officer paid €70k p.a. and a staff of l0. That was the year it became insolvent, having spent all the State money and its own reserve of During 2009 one competent person was recruited into the organisation who discovered that the accounts for 2008, certified by the Auditors, were inaccurate and the situation was much worse. By the end of 2009 the deficit was 15k. The CEO and three other prominent figures resigned. In the ultimate of ironies one of these was invited to join the Board of ISC. There was no fraud, just complete incompetence on the part of the CEO and the Board and the absence of financial controls.

Does that story sound familiar? In addition to Badminton, small ISC funded NGB's like Basketball, Boxing and several martial arts organizations have suffered issues relating to fraud or financial mismanagement. And we can now add the ICU to that list.

Why? Well if we look back over the ICU's history, the ICU started getting big money form the ISC about eleven years ago. The ISC looks for a healthy growing NGB's, that have organically grown to certain size. This requires a good core of members, the ICU's grass roots. With the addition of funding the ICU's resources and the ICU's focus and resources shifted hugely to Olympic disciplines. The ICU's grass roots no longer had a horse in the race, and soon ICU AGM's were barely meeting the minimum numbers, and two years could go by with out a single motion at the ICU AGM.

Now there was lots of money in the system and very few eyes. The outcome is inevitable. This happened to the other organisations also. To avoid this from happening small NGB's should always strive to maintain its heath grass roots, its base.

The current system for hiring the new Canoe Ireland General Manager is made up of one representative of the ICU, one representative of the Irish Olympic Committee and one representative of the Irish Sports Council. And the GM position is being financed completely by the Irish Sports Council. And everyone knows there's no such thing as free meal.

The ICU/Canoe Ireland has to see that its in it own best interest to also service the wider community and this needs to happen at the most basic levels. I'm not suggesting any radical change, I'm just suggesting that ICU board should be more assertive. A good start would be to add two or three more ICU board members on the recruitment panel. A beefed up job spec wouldn't hurt either.

Eventually I would hope that Canoe Ireland becomes more independent from the ISC grants and that it can eventually make its way back to serving all its members equally.

BOB

Post by BOB » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:28 pm

A response to Liz Byrnes comments (the ones I can remember)
Can I firstly say Karl Dunne and Eamon Devoy are not such close friends as you make out, in fact prior to their involvement at ICU board level their interaction would have been minimal. And I know this with certainty as both KArl and Eamon are very close friends of mine. I have known KArl for over 25 years, was his scout leader and got him started in canoeing. As for Eamon I coached his sons and became a very close family friend. So while they know each other well now they are not such close friends as you might think. I think people quite unfair to critise Karl , he has carried out a huge work load VOLUNTARILY running the ICU office for the past year and for this I have unreserved prasie for his effort sna results.
Are there issues with the selction process ? Yes I believ there are and proposed a number of changes which were d up evoted at a board meeting ( at which Karl absented himself) . Be clear as soon as Pat expressed interest in being involved he unaniomusly recived the support of all the board to be on the slection committee and is on the selection committee now. Should Eamon be still involved ??? There are pros and cons to him being involved. Certianly when the process started (which I do feel was incredibly rushed , and I have suggested to Pat that if there were insufficent suitable candidates the process be re started - to date Pat has not indicated hes is un happy with the number or quality of candidates ( but I will ask for a report on the process at the next board meeting)
I must say I take exception to your critisim of a number of WWKC members being on the board.
1 Noel Tallon in a matter of months found serious financail concerns and took immeaditate action to resolve
2 Karl has voluntarilty managed the ICU office putting in 10 to 20 hours a week and has done a great job
3 I have given 3 years up to devleop Marathon racing and produced growth every year and invested heavily in equipment
4 Colin Ryan has re started Slalom canoeing and has it back to being a healthy discipline
5 Yvonne Glynn runs an excellent domestic White water racing calender and sends international teams off annually.
So perhaps you could outline your contributiuon to helping develop the sport at a national level thats puts you in such a strong position to critise such volunteers ? I have come to the conclusion that canoeist are thr greatest bunch of begrudgers going. Do nothing and no one will say a word , screw up an no one will mind. But be sucessful - then be prepared for the critics who sit on the fence.

Bob

BOB

Post by BOB » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:42 pm

And another thing Liz. While the president may or may not be the line manager. The day of the president and chief executive (general manager) having a cozy arragement is long over. Line manager or not it will be the board who makes the final selection of staff not the president. No longer will critical decisons be made by the president or executive and presented to the board as a done deal. If I and the rest of the board are going to be held accountable at ADMs (as we should be) then we will take full involvement in all such decisions. So Pat the president has no need to infleunce the exec which may have a 3 WWKC memebrs on it. It will be up to him to convince th entire board which is much larger and diverse. Plus we have the independent ISC & IOC members on the interview panel ( unless you are going to suggest Eamon Devoy / WWKC has infleunce in these organisations too ? - Remember WWKC is only a canoe club and not the free masons.
BTW the ICU could do well to follow the example of WWKC, it is one of the largest, long established clubs around with 300 - 400 members is active in most of the disciplines, slalom, polo, WW racing, Marathon, Canadian, and off course a huge rectrational scene. Furthermore it is extrememly healthy in terms of finances , ALL disciplines work extremely well together (the Lower Liffey os only the biggest race in the country due to the incredible support (rescue) from all the recrational and polo paddlers. And as you'll know if you ever paddle there it truely is a club with an open door policy with all paddler welcome to paddle there and use the facilites.
BOB

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:15 pm

Sorry BOB I missed what the Pros of having Eamon Devoy on the hiring panel are?

In your answer can you also address if other board members would be considered to stay on subcommittees past their terms for the similar reasons? Has this ever happened? And if not why is this different?

And if possible can you address the fact that all of the decisions of the ICU Executive, with respect to this job process's and spec, were done so without quorum as outlined in the ICU's Articles of Association? I have outlined the details in a previous post.

BOB

Post by BOB » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:28 pm

Well the past president has been involved from the start of the recrtitment process and frankly he is relatively independent. While another board member might be preferable to be impartial it would have to be somone not from WWKC which limits the selection. Effectively Eamon is quite impartial and has littel to gain from selecting one pserosn over the next.
As for people staying on after their term I cannot really say what most ICU committees do or dont do, I can only speak for the ones I am involved and I certainly wouldnt use the past way the ICU board operated as a guide for how it should work in the future. But as for the Liffey organising committee and the MArathon committee we have a very open door policy and are more than happy to have non committee members attend (as long as they do some work) - it is after all just about getting more people paddling.
As for the quorum and the executive writing the job spoec. First - it was a board decision NOT an executive meeting. Second the Board agreed in advance that the meeting to discuss the job advertisement would not be bound to have a quorum
Thirdly and most importantly the job spec was specifcally ONLY for job advertisement purposes. Clearly what is written down so far as a job spec is wholly inadequate as an actual job specification. Most importantly about the past president stayin involved, I (and probably the whole board) will be relying entirely on the new presidents view on
1 that the past president should stay involved in the process (ie its benefical)
2 the advertisement and selection process has resulted in an adequate number of competent and suitable candidate applying for the position
3 That the final candidates called for final interview will be suitable to drive growth and improved performance in the new ICU (Caneoing Ireland)
Regards

Bob

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:40 pm

BOB wrote:As for the quorum and the executive writing the job spoec. First - it was a board decision NOT an executive meeting. Second the Board agreed in advance that the meeting to discuss the job advertisement would not be bound to have a quorum.
For one thing its a fact that the closing date was not set by the board, they might have agreed to it after the fact, about a week into the process, but they didn't set the date. And the board did not set the means or the manner of advertising. The board were by standers to this process initially.
61. The quorum for the transaction of the business of the Executive may be fixed by the Executive and unless so fixed at any other number shall be three.
As for the technicality of quorum. Either Karl excused himself or he didn't. Only the Executive can fix the quorum. That actually requires quorum too (3). Without Karl that's not possible. And if he voted to fix quorum at two for this process specifically, then he didn't excuse himself from the process completely. When was the quorum fixed? And at what number?

I'm not sure why a Executive of two members from five can effectively function in anyone's opinion. Why on earth would anyone agree to it? It should have defaulted to the ICU board entirely.

BOB

Post by BOB » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:37 pm

To the best of my knowledge neither Karl or Noel (and I am certain) knew that a date was set (as per the rest of the board) nor did they agree to actually to sedn out the unapproved job description (for advertisement purposes) I believe the past president did this on his own initatvie. I expressed my dis satisfaction at this and the fact that the job spec and date was ommunicated to the clubs prior to the board memebrs reviewing, and agreeing to issue the advertisement. At this stage we are relying on the new president to fully represent the board and insisted the interview panel gives him their full cooperation. It would appear he was unable to acces some information. It would appear more interviews are taking place up to Christmas and the board should be presented wit the outcome of the selection committee in the new year.

Rgds

Bob

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:25 pm

BOB wrote:To the best of my knowledge neither Karl or Noel (and I am certain) knew that a date was set (as per the rest of the board) nor did they agree to actually to sedn out the unapproved job description (for advertisement purposes) I believe the past president did this on his own initatvie. I expressed my dis satisfaction at this and the fact that the job spec and date was ommunicated to the clubs prior to the board memebrs reviewing, and agreeing to issue the advertisement. At this stage we are relying on the new president to fully represent the board and insisted the interview panel gives him their full cooperation. It would appear he was unable to acces some information. It would appear more interviews are taking place up to Christmas and the board should be presented wit the outcome of the selection committee in the new year.

Rgds

Bob
Thanks BOB.

Given that answer I'm even more at a loss why having Emon Devoy on the hiring panel is a good thing?

He makes up rules as he goes, ignores other rules when it suits him. How did ye not kick him off the board?

(All rhetorical questions. I'm kinda tired of hearing about the ICU. Every time I hear stuff like this I have the overwhelming urge to bang my head off the wall. )

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:21 pm

Any news on who got this position?

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:13 pm

Appointment of New General Manager
The Board of Canoeing Ireland is pleased to announce the appointment of Mr Karl Dunne as General Manager. Mr Dunne was formerly Honorary Secretary to the Board, is an active paddler and a member of Wild Water Kayak Club. The Board looks forward to a fruitful and productive working relationship with Mr Dunne.
http://canoe.ie/Information/News/tabid/ ... nager.aspx

Back in October of 2011, weeks before I started this thread, before the entire ICU board even knew about an ICU General Manager Position. I was told by an ICU board member that he suspected that Eamon Devoy, the ICU Chairperson at the time, wanted Karl, his fellow ICU executive board member, as the new 'CX'. It looks like he got his way.

Issues with this appointment:
- The GM position is the most senior employed position and unlike the previous CEO position, it is not mentioned or outlined in the ICU articles of association.

- The previous most senior position was held by the CEO that was fired for actions taken by himself and another executive board member when Karl was secretary of the union. Karl sat on the ICU executive board in 2008, and sat on it til the last AGM. The executive board at that time played an active roll in the entire escapade. This fact is borne out by the ISC report on the issue. The ICU board were referred to by the ISC as “Light Touch” and that "The Executive side were guilty of apathy...".

- The ICU gave only 17 days for 'advertising' for the most senior position in the ICU. Which amounted to a total of 11 business days.

- When the job specification and process was being drafted and enacted, the ICU executive board at the time was made of only Karl Dunne, Eamon Devoy & Noel Talon. Two seats were vacant. When Karl excused himself from meetings, the executive board did not have quorum for their votes or even have quorum when carrying out their meetings. But they still went ahead with finalizing the job specification, deadline and advertizing details, and more.

- The final job specifications were finalized without the input of the full ICU board or without putting to a vote of the ICU board.

- The Chairperson from this period, Eamon Devoy, sat on the hiring panel, even after his term ended. The same very chairperson that sent emails to Karl asking for his feedback on the ICU GM Job Specification draft he had written, before the ICU board even saw the job specifications.

I'm sure if this was dug into this in any sort of fashion there would be more issues, but the issues raised should have counted as enough red flags for any professional organisation to pause.

The ICU board member's that eventually backed this process should be ashamed. And frankly Karl Dunne, I'd be embarrassed if I got a job under these circumstances. The ICU had a chance to turn a page, but it looks like the same old people and the same old crap. Professionalism and transparency for Canoe Ireland will have to come another day.

J.K.

Post by J.K. » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:02 pm

Aye, that bit about Devoy still sitting on the hiring panel after he'd been deemed what, guilty of gross incompetance/negligance, wasn't it?
That bit really rankles, it's just retarded. i can see no sense in it.

tiernan

Post by tiernan » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:26 am

Ye the whole thing stinks. Some people my be able to throw a blind eye to be obvious nepotism (in a kayaking family sense) that is going on in the ICU, and has been for along time but most recently highlighted by this matter, however the things that really disappoint me are these:
Seanie wrote:- The ICU gave only 17 days for 'advertising' for the most senior position in the ICU. Which amounted to a total of 11 business days.
Seanie wrote:- The final job specifications were finalized without the input of the full ICU board or without putting to a vote of the ICU board.
The ICU throw terms like CEO, GM, company around like its cool or something! The above is not the actions of any business. Even if you're corrupt mentality had decided who you were going to hire - i.e. Dunne, at least go through the motions of giving more notice (not only is it inappropriate but its lazy).

I use to work in a newsagents when i was 15 - there was more advertising time allocated to the job of the guy who made sure the video tapes were rewound than has been given to the "CEO/GM". That guy got paid about £2.50 an hour, what does the ICU CEO get paid!

Same goes for the job spec. Its either lazy, incompetent or corrupt. I'd love to think it was all three but I find that corrupt people tend not to be both incompetent AND lazy... deffo a combination of 2!

Tell ya the truth lads, I come away from all this wondering what the hell the ICU is needed for in the first place and if its worth all the money?!? Or better yet, have 2 unions. One for selecting, training and sending athletes to the olympics as is the ICUs main function and another that will focus on what the other 98% of kayakers in Ireland do (which won't require alot/if any money from the government).