ICU AGM 2011 - 50th ADM Motions & Nominations

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

Seanie
ICU AGM 2011 - 50th ADM Motions & Nominations

Post by Seanie » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:22 pm

Dear Club Secretary,

Attached is the AGM Letter, Agenda, Motions, Nominations and Proxy form.

Please note that the start time for the AGM is 11 Am on Saturday November 26,2011.

Yours Sincerely,

Karl Dunne
Honorary Secretary
Canoeing Ireland
Sport HQ
13 Joyce Way
Park West
Dublin 12
Tel: 01 625 1105
Fax: 01 625 1106
Attachments
5_Club Proxy Form.pdf
(11.51KiB)Downloaded 447 times
50th ADM motions.pdf
(28.38KiB)Downloaded 485 times
50th ADM Nominations.pdf
(25.92KiB)Downloaded 469 times
50th Agenda.pdf
(19.66KiB)Downloaded 507 times
50th Annual General Meeting letter.pdf
(17.75KiB)Downloaded 450 times

Seanie

Re: ICU AGM 2011 - 50th ADM Motions & Nominations

Post by Seanie » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:25 pm

A second email from the ICU:
Dear Club Secretary,

Please disregard previous Motions and Nominations Documents and see attached for Correct Motions & Nominations.

Yours Sincerely,

Karl Dunne
Honorary Secretary
Canoeing Ireland
Attachments
50th Nominations.pdf
(25.95KiB)Downloaded 556 times
50thADMmotions.pdf
(118.08KiB)Downloaded 445 times

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:33 pm

In the past the ICU has sent out the audited accounts in advance of the AGM so that the delegates can view them before the meeting.

I can't see how the accounts could be adopted without at least a few hours to read and parse the accounts beforehand. Given the issues that the ICU has has in the last year there cant be any argument not to send out the Audited Accounts in advance of the meeting.

roshaw_87

Post by roshaw_87 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:18 am

That with effect from the 51st ADM all individual Members will each have their own
personal vote and that with a view to maintaining the existing voting ratios the
number of votes available to clubs be consequently be increased by a factor of ten.
This is neither clear nor democratic. What If a member of a club wants to exercise their own vote? Do they get 10? Do they not get any or does only their chairperson gets 1001 for a club of 100? Or does it just mean that the one extra vote a club get is now 10 and a chairperson of a club would therefore receive 11 votes? Only that last one seems to be in keeping with the current systems ratio but reading the wording that’s not what is said. I don't think we need to keep the current ratio. One man one vote is just fairer. By forming a club a small number of members double their vote and a big clubs chairperson can exercise the votes of those apathetic or even opposed to his views in a club. That is not fair or in are best interest.
That the incoming Board be instructed, as a matter of priority, to establish a
Subcommittee for the purpose of reviewing the ICU governance procedures and
Constitution.
What powers will it have? How much will we be paying for this? Can it review the very structure of the board and have its findings discussed and voted on at an EGM? Will its finding be made public or available to all members? Has are new ceo got a written contract yet or can it wait till after we review governance procedures(like a limited tenure for the ceo)
5.1 This ADM resolves as follows:
That an Audit Committee consisting of three persons, under the Chairmanship of the
Honorary Treasurer, be established with the other two members coming from the
general membership based on nominations accepted at this ADM
I am not disagreeing with this but don’t understand why we need this if we are to appoint an auditor as the agenda states? What’s its purpose separate to the auditors?
Article 45 (Existing)
45. The term of office of each Executive member shall be two years.
Any member of the Executive holding office in the same Executive position for three
consecutive terms shall not be eligible for re election to that Executive position for a
period of two years.
Was this not removed in 2008? I went to check but got this
The resource cannot be found.
Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

The articles up now include article 45 dated 2009. Did it get added again in 2009? Don’t suppose someone has a copy or the 2008 or 2009 motions or minutes?

Gkc:
That there be one clubs representative added to the board.
Would it rotate between the very numerous different clubs (taking decades and giving tiny clubs undue board power) Or would it be a board member that only club members can vote elect? Or would it only rotated amongst the larger clubs who already have the strongest voting blocks to elect board members anyway? Should the board compromise of more elected positions and have disciplines given only one seat?
To make public the list of all instructors in the country and their instructor level.
Like the idea. Are they going to ask each instructor first or should it be made compulsory for all those who wish to stay as a valid instructor? Should this not be tabled at a tdu agm?
Discussions on the ICU Direction in the future.
 The promotion of canoeing in all its forms.

 To organise and assist in promoting and organising competitive and recreational canoeing events.

 To select, train, and administer competitors to represent Ireland at international events.

 To arrange and provide the holding of instruction in canoeing skills and techniques, the establishment and conduct of a system of tests and qualifications, and the promotion of safety.

 To issue guidelines and make regulations for all forms of canoeing as appropriate and to encourage the observance by canoeists of a code of conduct.

 To protect the interests of canoeists and to work for improved facilities.

 To support administrative or legislative measures which will improve facilities for canoeing and to act to prevent the introduction of such measures injurious to the sport.

 To create and promote by publicity and education an informed and interested public opinion of the value and importance of canoeing in all its forms.

 To provide and supply information and advice to members by means of books, periodicals and other methods.

 To provide services as far as possible and appropriate for other organisations, clubs and persons interested in or associated with the sport and recreation of canoeing.
How are we going about these goals and which are priorities. I would see youth participation firstly with access and improvements to facilities secondly as the two key priorities for are body. We need to change are stated goals to those that represent what all members want and then change the role of a ceo and staff to reflect that change.
087 9862517/ [email protected]
Intelligence is what you use when you dont know what to do

paupier

Post by paupier » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:38 pm

As a GKC committee member I can help clear up the motions we have put forward:
Gkc:
That there be one clubs representative added to the board.

Would it rotate between the very numerous different clubs (taking decades and giving tiny clubs undue board power) Or would it be a board member that only club members can vote elect? Or would it only rotated amongst the larger clubs who already have the strongest voting blocks to elect board members anyway? Should the board compromise of more elected positions and have disciplines given only one seat?
The intention of this motion is to create a position on the board to represent the interests of Kayaking Clubs around the country, not just the interest of specific disciplines. It is not intended that the position would rotate through each club - but the position would be elected by the clubs themselves.

To make public the list of all instructors in the country and their instructor level.

Like the idea. Are they going to ask each instructor first or should it be made compulsory for all those who wish to stay as a valid instructor? Should this not be tabled at a tdu agm?
As the precedent has already been set with the list of Level 4 instructors http://canoe.ie/en-us/trainingcourses/l ... ctors.aspx, we felt that this list should be extended to cover all instructors. The list need not disclose anything more than name and instructor level. It could be an opt out option should an individual not want to be included in the list.

I agree that it should fall into the TDU remit, but the Canoe.ie website is a landing pint for many people interested in paddling. To be able to find a list of instructors on the site provides 1) a means of showing that there are many instructors around the country (good advertising of the sports depth, I think) and 2) as means of checking if a person is an instructor or not.

I hope this explains what our intentions are. If I can clarify any further I'd be glad to help.

Paul Pierce
GKC

Ken

Post by Ken » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:00 am

roshaw_87 wrote:
5.1 This ADM resolves as follows:
That an Audit Committee consisting of three persons, under the Chairmanship of the
Honorary Treasurer, be established with the other two members coming from the
general membership based on nominations accepted at this ADM
I am not disagreeing with this but don’t understand why we need this if we are to appoint an auditor as the agenda states? What’s its purpose separate to the auditors?
The purpose of an audit committee is to oversee the auditors, It doesn't conduct a financial statements audit itself (although it could instigate internal audits) . It also has responsibility for financial disclosures and it acts separately to the actual board. It's common practice and is seen as good governance which is something to be welcomed in the ICU after the goings in the recent past.

Wikipedia article contains further information on audit committees.

leftism

Post by leftism » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:24 am

+1 on the Audit committee!

Had this been in place over the past 10 years, it is possible that much of the corruption which Mick Scanlon et al. were involved in could have been identified. This is a very good motion and hopefully will get passed...

roshaw_87

Post by roshaw_87 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:05 pm

Firstly to Gkc:
but the position would be elected by the clubs themselves
That's the bit I would like clarified. How at a Agm are clubs going to elect this position. Will it be the same as electing an executive member except voting blocks from outside clubs are removed from the vote? Are the current board not elected from some of the biggest clubs in the country?
The board consists of 5 executive members, 7 heads of discipline sub committees and 1 vote for the head of the TDU. What do you hope to achieve by adding one club elected member onto that list? The disciplines will still be over represented at board level.

As for the audit committee. Seems like its intention is to improve governance and best practice in the company. Reading from the wiki article it also seems like these committees are normally for larger private companies. I'd be worried we can't pull the expertise we need for this committee voluntarily from are 2000 members every time they need to fill a vacancy. Can anyone give an example or a company of a similar size and function with a working audit committee? That would put me at ease with this very positive move.

paupier

Post by paupier » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:26 pm

Firstly to Gkc:

but the position would be elected by the clubs themselves

That's the bit I would like clarified. How at a Agm are clubs going to elect this position. Will it be the same as electing an executive member except voting blocks from outside clubs are removed from the vote? Are the current board not elected from some of the biggest clubs in the country?
The board consists of 5 executive members, 7 heads of discipline sub committees and 1 vote for the head of the TDU. What do you hope to achieve by adding one club elected member onto that list? The disciplines will still be over represented at board level.
I see what you mean here. I guess if the 2010 Strategic Review were published and followed this would change the structure of the Board as it stands today - I don't know how long that would take to enact. In the interim a new position would need to be created on the Board in much the same way as the current disciplines committees are organised. The chairman of this "Clubs" committee would represent the "Clubs" committee at Board level. The structure of this "Clubs" committee should be made up of representatives from the provinces. Clubs should include schools, colleges/universities and,for want of a better description, general clubs.

If anyone has a better suggestion for the manner in which this might be achieved - I welcome an opinion. The aim being that that there is a mechanism to support clubs in their development, growth, access to information about grants and financial aids etc... It doesn't need to extend as far as helping clubs develop their plans for world domination :)

Paul.

Ken

Post by Ken » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:50 pm

I think what you are looking for realy is some form of clubs & schools support officer? Although I definitely see the requirement for one I'm not sure if a board position is warranted. It seems more something to be allocated to a member of staff (maybe even a full-time member of staff if the funding and demand is there)

If changing the balance away from the disciplines and more towards recreational paddling is the desired outcome I don't see this as being a way to do it. As Ronan pointed out there would still be way more disciple positions on the board, but also the clubs officer would inevitably come from one of the big clubs which focus more on competitive disciplines then GP paddling.

On the Audit committee question, I'm not actually sure if many sports governing bodies have one. They wouldn't be common amongst companies of the size of the ICU. But none the less I think it is a firmly positive move. If it's not something that's common amongst similar organisations then I think that it's a case of the ICU leading the way and other groups will be looking to replicate it.

leftism

Post by leftism » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:01 pm

Considering the massive "discrepencies" in previous ICU audits which were identified by Noel and the board, i think it would be downright negligent if the ICU was not seen to safeguard against this happening again! This motion should be seen as a prudent move by the executive, and will hopefully restore some confidence in the validity of the ICU accounts.

roshaw_87

Post by roshaw_87 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:17 pm

If we don't have the right people than forming a new committee wont stop anything. We've had treasures who didn't do what Noel has done. I'm asking do we have enough members with the knowledge of accounting willing to staff this committee. Anyone on this form going to put their hand up for and say i'll take on that responsibility?

BOB

Post by BOB » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:50 pm

The idea of the vote for individual members was to bring soem sort of say to individual members (which make up 30% of the ICU). I felt the concept of individual members having to try find 9 other members at the ADM was unreasonable and discouraged people attending the ADM. It makes no change to the voting by clubs, whther this is right or wrong is up to you to decide, but if you felt strongly about it you should have proposed a change to 1 vote per person (I havent given it much thought so dont want to comment for or aginst it). The proposal was designed to be a small change that most people clubs and individuals) would be happy enough to support)

086-8532032 ([email protected])
BOB