No water? Time to surf.... [video]

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

chris_tierney
No water? Time to surf.... [video]

Post by chris_tierney » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:12 pm

A little bit of summer in Lahinch to make up for the lack of whitewater :

http://vimeo.com/28074939

Enjoy :)

ham n salad

Re: No water? Time to surf.... [video]

Post by ham n salad » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:23 pm

Were you out in Lahinch today? Hanging around with someone on a board? There was someone out in an orange and yellow pyranha but I never got around to saying hi

chris_tierney

Post by chris_tierney » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:11 pm

Hmmm, nope not me, though I'd have loved to have been in Lahinch today.... magic seaweed says the surf was clean, 6 feet with an offshore wind... no surf this weekend either- time for some sea kayaking + camping :)

Hyproglow

Post by Hyproglow » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:59 pm

Wow, that looks like loadsa fun, and maybe less difficult than white water kayaking. Or is it? I'd say that's a great laugh when you get a big wave. If you get flipped upside down by a wave, is it harder to flip back over than in a river, cos you'd have to deal with the motion of the next waves coming a hitting you too.

chris_tierney

Post by chris_tierney » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:57 pm

Yea it's really great fun and a discipline in it's own right; capsizing is definitely a barrier if you can't roll, as you have to lug a few hundred kg of waterlogged boat out of the water, empty it and reset... on the other hand there aren't usually rocks around, but you do have to be careful of wave action when upside down in shallow water. Waves aren't a rolling issue if they're spaced at least 10 seconds apart... there's a paddlesurf organisation in Ireland, you should look them up :)