Two kayakers drown in Waterford

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

tiernan
Re: Two kayakers drown in Waterford

Post by tiernan » Thu May 12, 2011 2:55 pm

roshaw_87 wrote:I disagree that Canoeing Ireland should try to advertise courses everywhere boats are sold. It has trained hundreds of instructors to give basic kayak training, it does not take long to find someone advertising kayaking instruction if your willing to look and pay the cost of it.
I guess the point I was trying to make is that people who are just interested in buying something that floats in the buy and sell for a potter around of a summers evening WON'T go to the bother of finding an instructor and paying money. Infact most of these would be kayakers are probably not even aware of this vast network of instructors you speak of, where to find them or (most importantly IMHO) why they would need basic instruction.

If Canoeing Ireland weren't responsible for this (which I don't agree with as they are the governing body and should do WHATEVER is necessary to make sure that the sport is practised in the safest possible way) then perhaps Irish Water Safety or some such should be.

If "fair weather kayakers" saw an ad right beside or before the one selling the kayak/canoe they want to buy then they might think about getting some instruction and/or have the information needed to get easy access to instruction. At the very least it would shift the responsibility toward the "kayaker". At the most it might save lives...

canned

Post by canned » Thu May 12, 2011 4:47 pm

While it is of course very sad that this incident occurred I think we're again faced with a level of missing the point from the MCIB.

In the list of recommendations, it doesn't say anything about the groups apparent lack of a rope. I know an SRT course would train this in but people will read this report and miss out in such a simple step. Quick action with an appropriate rope here could have saved a life.

Adrians

Post by Adrians » Thu May 12, 2011 8:43 pm

Just a quick point on the mention of SRT and the like.

The ICU has recently launched the new RSR 1,2,3 courses and more and more people are able to provide these. On the the major redesignes in the new syllabus is that it now put a vast amount of focus on the 'Safety' part of boating where we learn to identify potential hazzards like closed weirs that this incident took place.

Hopefully as more and more people get a chance to take part in these courses avoidance of incidents will be parramount rather that just being able to throw a throw bag / set up a rope system.

Of course tradtional hard rescue skills are still part of the new syllabus.

Adrian

dermo99

Post by dermo99 » Thu May 12, 2011 8:46 pm

Pretty sad also that it seems life buoys had been in that location in the past, but were vandalised and not replaced.

rlynch

Post by rlynch » Sat May 14, 2011 12:57 pm

That's the case all over the country unfortunately. I think water safety and swimming should be part of our primary school programme. Life rings mean absolutely nothing to your average 'yoof' – they literally probably don't understand what they're for or why they're there.

Ross
We would leave home in the morning and could play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us and no one minded!