Checking a drybag as Sports Eqpt

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

chris_tierney
Checking a drybag as Sports Eqpt

Post by chris_tierney » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:00 pm

Hey,

we're flying to Slovenia in a few weeks and I'm trying to work out how to transport my gear - I've only got my own gear to worry about (Helmet, BA, Drysuit, Deck, Throwbag, Thermals, Peli Case, Boots), however it's going to be tough fitting that plus dry clothes inside one bag or 20kg (I'm taking a bonus week off in Croatia, post Slovenia) meaning severe pentalies (€30 return per excess KG if I don't check it in online)...

Has anyone ever checked this stuff in as sports eqpt?

I triple-checked with Aer Lingus this morning (rang 3 separate times to diff. people) and I described what I wanted to check in as sports eqpt ("80cm long vinyl bag with kayaking equipment, drysuit, helmet, and camera cases") and all 3 staff said "no problem", however I'm still concerned about booking it, turning up at the desk and being told that it doesn't qualify as sports equipment... instant €150 bill for my gear :x

EoinH

Re: Checking a drybag as Sports Eqpt

Post by EoinH » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:01 am

Be careful making decisions based on what they say over the phone. Certainly with Ryanair it means absolutely nothing and it completely depends who turns up at the desk. Wear all the heavy stuff on the plane boots etc (I've seen buoyancy aids being worn on!) and get a very big and light bag (big dry bag) for the rest?

Just saw there that the Aer Lingus max weight for sports equipment is 15kgs ouch! No creekboats with them then.

AndrewR

Post by AndrewR » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:49 pm

Bouyancy aids wont be let worn on the plane.. but helmets are grand... I had to wear a shit loada gear on me flying back from nottingham a few weeks ago. The desk guys are obliged to overcharge you where possible, but generally they are sound and will help you work around the extra 20 euro per extra kg they charge.

Why are you checking that in as sports equpiment though? Its like an extra 80 euro to do that, you could surely put all the stuff mentioned in an extra suitcase which costs about 15 bucks extra....

Also make sure you dry your gear before plane journey back.. wet gear weighs alot more!

ham n salad

Post by ham n salad » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:08 pm

I have flown with air lingus a few times with paddling gear, dont think I was ever under the weight limit and never had a problem.

Even coming back from austria last year, we were camping and it pissed rain for a day before we left. The boats weighed 35 kg or so with all the gear in it and nothing was said to us when we were checking them in

AndrewR

Post by AndrewR » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:23 pm

Flying Aerlingus Dublin to Brussels last August, Barry got charged an extra like 70 euro for his boat being over weight, (he was let off another 80). I went to a differant counter and wasnt weighed, all depends on the person you deal with at the desk I think.

chris_tierney

Post by chris_tierney » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:37 am

Thanks- I think I might get away with my one wheeled bag being in around 25kg, which'll only cost me €70 or so extra to check in; thing is my camera gear accounts for all my hand luggage (there goes 15kg of potential), and I'm going off to Croatia for a week after Slov, so I'm tighter for space than I might be. On the other hand, no tent, sleeping bag or cooking stuff needed (as per an alps trip), just river gear, dry clothes and camera stuff :)