Kayaking in Georgia

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

Brian
Kayaking in Georgia

Post by Brian » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:26 am

Hi guys,
I know a lot of you are probably planning your spring kayaking trips this year and i thought id post up a few lines that might make you consider doing a trip to Georgia.
I was out there in September and while i only managed to paddle one river but i got to see loads of really nice whitewater and its a place id love to go back and explore.
Kayaking and rafting in Georgia is very much in its early stages; my contact reckons theres only 5 modern boats in the entire country.
I think as a paddling destination it deserves much more exposure.
The river style i would consider to be similar to many rivers in the French Alps albeit quiet often in much more remote areas.
Transport there is cheap and cost of food and alcohol is seriously low.

Post any questions you have here or email me [email protected]

disclaimer: I have no commercial affiliations to kayaking or rafting in Georgia

Seanie

Re: Kayaking in Georgia

Post by Seanie » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:49 am

What part of the country were you in? And what parts of the country are good for rivers?

Brian

Post by Brian » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:11 pm

ThI think the river i paddled was just north of Mtskheta.I cant remember its name. I travelled up north as far as Kasbegi. Close to Kasbegi there was some really nice steep stuff with amazing scenery.
South ossetia and Akhbazia are obviously out of bounds but the rivers I was pointed out seem to be pretty evenly spread throughout the country.
Chris Eastabrook was out there 2 years ago and wrote up about a few of the rivers. http://www.chriseastabrook.co.uk/biogra ... georgia-09

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:01 am

Google maps is non-existent for the area, so check out Openstreetmaps.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=41.73 ... 7&layers=M