TDU AGM & Agenda - 16th April 2011

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

Seanie
TDU AGM & Agenda - 16th April 2011

Post by Seanie » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:01 pm

http://tdu.ie/index.php/2011/02/tdu-agm-agenda/
The Irish Canoe Union Training and Development Unit Annual General Meeting 2011
Date: Saturday 16th April
Time: 13.00 – 14.00
Venue: Sport HQ, Park West, Dublin 12

AGENDA
  • Chairman’s Opening Address
  • Adoption of the Agenda for 2011 Annual General Meeting
  • Adoption of the minutes of the 2010 Annual General Meeting
  • Chairman’s Report
  • Officers’ Reports
  • Presentation of Financial Report
  • Motions Notified
  • Election of Committee Members
  • Closing Address
  • Discussion Forum.
All Motions and nominations for committee positions must be submitted in a written format and must be proposed and seconded by persons who are current voting members of the Training Unit.

Nominations and motions to be forwarded to :-
To arrive no later than 5pm Friday 1st April

Please forward by post to:
The Secretary, Training & Development Committee, Irish Canoe Union , Sport HQ ,Joyce Way, Park West , Dublin 12
Or
By email to [email protected] for attention of TDC Secretary

paddymcc

Re: TDU AGM & Agenda - 16th April 2011

Post by paddymcc » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:19 am

If you plan on attending the AGM and would like to vote then you must be a Qualified instructor and a fully paid up registered member of the Training And Development Unit Before the day of the AGM.

Just so no one takes the time to turn up and then finds they cant vote.

Cheers
Paddy
www.irishcanoekayak.com

Adrians

Post by Adrians » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:23 pm

Paddy,

Just a correction on that, as far as I am aware even training instructors qualify as members of the TDU, perhaps Conor or some one in the ICU can verify this.

Adrian

J P

Post by J P » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:36 am

Hi Adrian (and everyone else),

The way it works is trainee instructors are members of the TDU and are welcome to attend the AGM but they have no vote. Only fully qualified paid up members are entitled to vote on motions at the AGM.

Hope that clarifies the issue.

JP

Adrians

Post by Adrians » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:58 pm

Cheers for that John.

Peter Larkin

Post by Peter Larkin » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:06 pm

Hi JP, Adrian, Paddy, Seanie and everyone....

Thank you for the heads up about the agm.

Question...... Why go?..........

Peter

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:28 pm

Low brace turns? :D

Joking aside, I personally don't have any motivation to go. But I'm sure if you're a professional kayak instructor or an owner of a company that runs kayaking courses, then you might have an interest in making sure that kayaking in Ireland continues to progress and ensure our courses and syllabus are of a high standard. Badly trained instructors effect kayaking in Ireland as a whole, so making sure there are better standards protects the industry, protects students and drives the sport onward.

Also, it serves as a good social occasion, kayaking instructors get to meet and chat. That cant be a bad thing. And newly qualified instructors can get a chance to talk to severely weather beaten bearded sea kayaking instructors with years of experience.

But thats only a guess there's sure to be other reasons.

Peter Larkin

Post by Peter Larkin » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:04 pm

Professional kayak Instructors or owners of kayaking companies, I would imagine are a small segment of the membership.They
would more than likely be attending as boaters wanting to know what is going on and what the future is or to air concerns.

There must be more members, more reasons to attend.

So again why go?

Peter

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:13 pm

Peter Larkin wrote: ... They would more than likely be attending as boaters wanting to know what is going on ..
Hi Peter, I assume you're probably getting at what's being discussed in these threads:
- Re:What the f*ck is going on with the ICU?
- ICU in need of reform?
And I'd assume the TDU AGM isn't going to be able to address those concerns.

But I will point out this for people concerned about the ICU's future:
Canoe.ie wrote:ICU grant funding from Irish sports council - pstd 1/3

The Irish Sports Council announced it's 2011 funding. The ICU has secured it's core grant of €254,000 along with € 132,000 in high performance grant aid for our paddlers preparing for The London 2011 Olympic games

canned

Post by canned » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:31 pm

Fair play to the ICU though to have the power to bring the Olympics forward a year! :lol:

In terms of any concerns about the ICU, I think people know at this stage that there is a legal case pending which can't be discussed given it's ongoing. There is an AGM around end of April or May. Personally, I think it'd be a showing of good will for the ICU to arrange this for late April rather than May given the numbers in college clubs who will be facing into exams and putting the final touches on their summer trips.

That's getting off topic though. The TDU AGM is an instructor meeting...

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:24 pm

canned wrote: There is an AGM around end of April or May. Personally, I think it'd be a showing of good will for the ICU to arrange this for late April rather than May given the numbers in college clubs who will be facing into exams and putting the final touches on their summer trips.
I drafted a letter about four years ago to that effect, signed by all the Colleges (bar two, they weren't at the meeting).

There was flexibility and a genuine willingness to get more students to attend, and Mick Scanlon (ICU CEO) did help change the date on one occasion. But its not the easiest thing in the world to do, the ICU have to have their accounts audited, this can take differing periods of time, dependant on their accountant and sub committee's etc. Then they need to have at least a months notice, so the earliest time is a month after they receive the draft audited accounts. So this impedes having an early AGM. Then on the other end, they cant hold it too late as they have to submit their accounts to the ISC and Revenue, otherwise it will impact the receipt of grants etc. Then you have to float that date to the ICU board.

Couple this and the fact that colleges have varying exam time tables and you have might not have a date that suits more than 50% of students in that time frame. But its still worth looking at.

And yes... off topic... TDU EGM and all that Jazz.

Peter Larkin

Post by Peter Larkin » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:14 am

Hi Seanie,

I am staying well away from those topic's. I would rather try for peace in the middle east. Which if it was on the agenda would be a good reason to go. It would hopefully get more people in the room

Yes, it is the award scheme and training that is part of the remit of the TDU. I would think that the people on the committee, who are volunteers deserve a little bit more of an attendance for the work they put in.
Secondly if they are changes planned/coming then the officers have an opportunity to communicate these to a greater number of members, which removes some of the scope for misunderstandings and rumours!!!

Take care

Peter

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:29 pm

They might get more people at the AGM if they opened it up and explained it more to young people. I'm an instructor and I'm under 18 and to be honest I dont have a clue what goes on in the icu really, probably my own fault of course! But a good 12 probably more of us qualified as instructors in a group this year all under 18 and we dont know much, we just do what we're told :D
With all due respect we are the future of paddling in Ireland so time invested in us is well worth it we just need that extra push sometimes..