Paddles

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

McGinty
Paddles

Post by McGinty » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:58 pm

Hi all, have just started back paddling after nearly 10 years out of the sport,was wondering if anyone knows where i'd get a decent enough paddle without breaking the bank......
Something for light whitewater/rivers etc, have a basic yoke at the min,want a carbon shaft if possible or similar...
Have looked in a couple of shops but they seem really expensive-€200+ :o
Any ideas, cheers...... ;)

paddy

Re: Paddles

Post by paddy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:32 pm

Hi Mc Ginty,
A reliable and popular brand in Ireland at the moment is Werner. And they have a range of constructions depending on your budget. From a fiberglass composite to full carbon with a foam core. Their entry level blades are the Rio's coming in at: €148 http://www.i-canoe.com/Paddles/Werner+W ... addle.html with a glass composite or a carbon composite the desperados are €190 http://www.i-canoe.com/Paddles/Werner+W ... addle.html. Both of these are reasonably priced but in my opinion the next step up a glass prepreg coming at €260 will far exceed the lifespan of these paddles and you have a choice of plade shapes there; the player, sherpa, powerhouse and sidekick. Depending on your type of paddling.
Plenty of choice to think about...

Paddy

canned

Post by canned » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:51 am

Phew...
Paddles and preferences for paddles are SO SO personal.

I vaguely remember reading a magazine or book from years ago stating that people will lend you their boat before their paddles because they become a very peronal piece of equipment.

So for me the absolute HATED are H2O's - much more in terms of stiff shaft + flexi blade = completely against what you want out of a paddle for feedback and appropriate give.

Seeing as they are such a personal piece of kit people might be upset by that (especially if they are posting a "for sale; H2O's" while I write this!)

Werner Rios = most disappointing effort from Werner ever. Too flexible, too heavy, too pricey for what they are and too many broke in our club to ever try them again. Considering Desperados but only if they are an attempt to address the shite that were the Rio.

Currently we're seeing what people think of Robson Combats (which are VERY heavy) but we're more interested in resiliance.

The best advice you can be given is to buy a set that are the right size for you. River running, go a bit longer - playboating go a bit shorter. That's all relative to your height though so don't let someone convince you that 180cm paddles are right for you if you're 6''6".

check out irishfreestyle.com for people moving on second hand paddles. Make sure the price reflects the condition and you could have a set of paddles that'll do you for 3+ years.

McGinty

Post by McGinty » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:32 pm

Cheers lads for the info, guess ye get what ye pay for n all that!Suppose no way getting around the price unless i go secondhand.Had a set of rough stuff years ago which were pretty good but snapped them on the clare glens,only had them about 6 months,maybe i was just unlucky.Anyway ill do a little more research and then decide, thanks again :?

Ken

Post by Ken » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:52 pm

All paddles can break, I've seen more sets of werner paddles break on a river then rough stuff. They are Irish made decent paddles at a reasonable enough price. The Twintex ones are grand, a bit heavier then other options but strong and relatively cheep. You get what you pay for, but most people don't get much extra benefit from a €400 set of blades then from a €150 one.

paddy

Post by paddy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:54 pm

Ken wrote:I've seen more sets of werner paddles break on a river then rough stuff. They are Irish made decent paddles at a reasonable enough price.
...don't agree with this statement in the slightest! During a one year span in a club i paddled with a few years ago, we saw in excess of 10 sets of rough stuffs break.(there was only about 25 members max). have paddled with werner since and have only broken one set after 5 yrs of use

Ken

Post by Ken » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:47 pm

to be fair, I've also seen a lot more Werners on the water then rough stuff so that would account for some of that.

I'm just mentioning them as a cheaper, but still good option.