Kayaking in Ireland

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

Adam
Kayaking in Ireland

Post by Adam » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:33 pm

Hey all, I'm trying to plan a trip to Ireland, and I'd like to do some kayaking while I'm there. So, I was curious when the kayaking season runs? Do they rent/demo boats in whitewater shops around there? Trying to avoid bring a boat from the western US all the way to Ireland. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks. - Adam

mikef

Re: Kayaking in Ireland

Post by mikef » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:13 am

well adam

theres not as such a "paddling season" in Ireland at the moment. Best bet is the winter or spring. but saying that we had a huge june last year, unfortunately i spent it in the alps gettting phone calls from home!.

What kind of grade of paddling would you be up to? If your an anyway decent paddler most people wouldnt mind hooking up with ya and providing you with a boat. the shops do demos but not really rentals as far as i know. the main places to paddle would be kerry, wicklow and the north west & anywhere that its raining also

if you knew whats parts of the country you were planning to visit, plan your route and then post up here or on irishfreestyle.com also before your coming and you will find out whose going to be around and whats gonnabe running.

hope this helps
mike

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:11 am

Thanks for the info - I'm looking at late May / early June and I'm still trying to plan out the trip. Now I know where to look. I'm a decent (not great or super) Class IV boater. I've been known to hop on some harder stuff, but that occasionally results in stories. Are there any must-do runs in those areas in the III and IV ranges? Thanks again. - Adam

mikef

Post by mikef » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:30 am

check out the rivers section of this website theres plenty of good grade 3 or 4 rivers around and youll find photos and video of them here too.

http://www.irishwhitewater.com/river_guide/index.php

Although trying to get them in condition in may/june would be a serious gamble! Also may/june is holiday time for most paddlers here, with alot of clubs and colleges heading off to europe for a bit of warm weather paddling.