Good rivers around Dublin / Wicklow

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

tommurph
Good rivers around Dublin / Wicklow

Post by tommurph » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:48 pm

Hi Everyone

Hope you can help me here I have recently bought a kayak and all the gear life jacket paddle etc. I was just wondering if there is any good rivers around the Dublin / Wicklow area for a bit of paddling, not looking for anything too fast, just somewhere that I can get a bit of practice and build up my confidence.

Thanks

bryanrichardson

Re: Good rivers around Dublin / Wicklow

Post by bryanrichardson » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:21 pm

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Kayaking.
I'd suggest you contact the Irish Canoe Union on: 01 6251105 or [email protected]
Talk to Benny or Conor. They can point you in the right direction as regards rivers, clubs in your area and maybe a bit of training.
As a general rule we dont go kayaking alone for safety reasons so hooking up with a club is always a good idea.

Hope this helps!

Bryan

tommurph

Post by tommurph » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:34 pm

Hi Bryan

Thanks for the reply but unfortunatley I wont be able to contact the Irish Canoe Union or join any clubs as I am not a hommosexual. But if you know of any good rivers then that would be great.

Thanks
Tom

bryanrichardson

Post by bryanrichardson » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:40 pm

hmm i see,
well in that case. i reccommend the source of the liffey, but wait till its been raining for a few days. or the middle flesk in kerry, but again wait till its had a good few days rain, and dont worry about the 1st or 2nd gorge section just fly on down. Its not like you'll need any of the 'homosexual' training thing.

Just out iof interest...what boat do you have?

tommurph

Post by tommurph » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:48 pm

Hi Bryan

I have a Dagger Zydeco, I am only intrested in long distance touring so the Upper Liffey sounds like it might not be what I am in too and Kerry is a bit far away sorry I should have mentioned that first, but thanks again.

Regards
Tom

tommurph

Post by tommurph » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:54 pm

Hi Bryan

Is gorge section code for but sex?

bryanrichardson

Post by bryanrichardson » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:57 pm

oh ok. Zydeco eh?

well yeah...its a kayak alright.
now im not saying everyone who buys a new kayak must join the i.c.u...but eh, why the strong reaction?

tommurph

Post by tommurph » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:59 pm

Hi Bryan

What strong reaction?

bryanrichardson

Post by bryanrichardson » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:03 pm

The one you had about the idea of ringing the i.c.u? seemed a bit strong.

Not like you have to sign up or anything, but if your in dublin and starting out there'd be no harm in getting a bit of advice dont you think?

tommurph

Post by tommurph » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:10 pm

Hi Bryan

I dont think it's a bit strong, I am a very tolerant person and have no problem with anybody or their sexual orientation.

I agree with you a bit of advice never hurt anyone, but thats where it starts and the next thing you know you are heading to Nepal on Holidays like Cathal O Searcaigh.

Regards
Tom

bryanrichardson

Post by bryanrichardson » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:12 pm

fair enough tom.

well best o luck with it anyway.

tommurph

Post by tommurph » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:40 pm

Thanks Bryan

Maybe someone else can help me, but I should be a bit clearer with what my requirments are.

I am just looking for somewhere to go for a paddle, a friend of mine who also has a kayak would be comming with me but we are two greenhorns.

We are mostly intrested in flat rivers for long trips but wouldn't rule out lakes either. We are not intrested in play boating or any of that retarded stuff. Joining a club is not an option as we are both hethrosexuals.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, again sorry for the confusion.

Tom

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:00 pm

Ha ha, very entertaining stuff.
tommurph wrote: but we are two greenhorns.
Get lessons. Many people who are "greenhorns" die every year kayaking, it is a dangerous sport, there is a lot to learn. Even if you are just going for a bimble down a long flat stretch of river. Lakes and flat rivers seem safe enough, but there have been close calls and deaths on both.

See the thing is, there are guides on this website outlining exactly what you want, but you don't have the required knowledge to be able to differentiate between river types. The best way to bridge the knowledge gap is to get lessons. Only a few sessions should be needed to bring you both up to the required level. To do this either contact a local club or the ICU (you don't have to join either, just attend some of their beginner courses). There are also lots of independent instructors that would be more than happy to give you private lessons.

I know this isn't what you're looking, for but I'm fairly certain that this type response is going to be the only one you're going to get from people who know what they are talking about.

Best of luck with your efforts, stay safe, and as Bryan said Welcome to the wonderful world of Kayaking.
Seanie