Annamoe gauge stolen

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

Joec
Annamoe gauge stolen

Post by Joec » Fri May 22, 2009 9:09 am

For any club / individual who is considering building a gauge, but lack the electronic engineerings skills required ( as we did), below are the contacts of the company who did a lot of the electronic's stuff for us:

Charlotte Computing,
Unit 28, Canal walk,
Parkwest ind est,
Dublin 12
(across the road from i-canoe shop)

01-6205003

These folks were great in getting the main parts ordered, assembled & wired up, as well as building the pressure sensor for our gauge.

Joe.

high drop

Re: Upper Liffey Gauge

Post by high drop » Fri May 22, 2009 12:32 pm

I use the Annamoe gauge regularly, it appears to be reading low at the moment?

Agree that it's a great resource and I would be glad to contribute to the upkeep.

Well done.

Sean

jimkennedy

Post by jimkennedy » Fri May 22, 2009 11:40 pm

high drop wrote:. . . the Annamoe gauge . . . appears to be reading low at the moment?
Sean
Eoinor had to move the Annamoe gauge recently, so the 'old' levels are no longer an indicator. I think he's recalibrating at the moment, so anyone who runs the Annamoe should post up the level as they experienced it, giving the day and time. Then Eoinor can reset the green and red lines.

Ken

Post by Ken » Sat May 23, 2009 9:58 am

I think there may be another problem with it, if its still in the river, it hasn't moved at all in the last week even though the annamoe has come up and down in that time.

eoinor

Post by eoinor » Sun May 24, 2009 2:34 pm

Yeah, I put it back out at the start of the run in to jacksons, on river right, I went to see what was wrong with it on Thursday and the whole lot was gone.
I give up!
I'm off paddling for the summer, I might start all over again when I get back, but with no job to pay for the parts it is unlikely for the moment.

eoinor

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Sun May 24, 2009 6:26 pm

Ah jaysus.

Danger Mouse

Post by Danger Mouse » Sun May 24, 2009 9:21 pm

Ahhh 4 F**C Sake! Thanks for all your efforts anyway. The oul Paypay idea is a cool one. Roughly how much does a gauge cost, to build and maintain?.
DM

alan aka

RE. Vanishing gauges

Post by alan aka » Mon May 25, 2009 11:49 am

Hi Eoinor,

I would be happy to help get this gauge back on line i do a bit of civil engineering, i could supply a 4 meter heavey duty pole with an anti climb to protect the solar panel and i could concrete this into the ground i could also get a secure housing unit and bolt it to the concrete below the ground level so it can not be seen.
Im sure between every body that uses the gauge we could get this back online its such a valuable resource.
Give me a call if i can Help

PW
086 1726343

eoinor wrote:Yeah, I put it back out at the start of the run in to jacksons, on river right, I went to see what was wrong with it on Thursday and the whole lot was gone.
I give up!
I'm off paddling for the summer, I might start all over again when I get back, but with no job to pay for the parts it is unlikely for the moment.

eoinor

Joec

Post by Joec » Mon May 25, 2009 1:53 pm

DM,
The gauge cost us approx €500, ( we had to have the electronics built for us), not including the sensor cage & solar panel mount.
The parts alone cost about €300 ( solar panel, batteries, enclosures, etc)
It should cost approx. €60 - €70 per year to keep topped up with phone credit, but that will vary depending on how many text's it has to send
Joe.

dangermouse

Post by dangermouse » Tue May 26, 2009 7:38 am

Any comment\ideas would be much appreciated.
http://www.irishfreestyle.com/node/4906#comment-7751

DM

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Tue May 26, 2009 11:30 am

If there is a demand for a donations system, we have set up the IWW Kayak Club and this would be the perfect organisation to look after donations. When previously approached I didn't want to be the intermediary for any funds donated or sponsoring gauges. Mainly because I'm a private individual, and something about it didn't sit right with me. I suggested donating directly to the gauge builders themselves.

Having said all of that. I don't think money is the problem here. It takes a lot of time and effort build and install one of these gauges. If you were to give Eoin the required amount of cash tomorrow it would be quite a while before you would see a finished product. On top of the time required, I cant imagine his frustration at this stage.

There are still relatively few people who can program, build and install these things. I would urge people to dive head first into the project and give a go to making a gauge. There is plenty help on hand. Just give post on this forum and you're sure to get a response.

The team is growing. Daithi, Eoin, Moe, Mike, Fergal, Joe, Andy and Keith have been doing great work. New gauges have been put in, new ones have been built and have yet to be put in. But most exciting the design for the gauge its self has been improved. Daithi, Moe and Mike have put a considerable amount of time into developing the design and making it more reliable and adding new features like alerts (which should be up and running by the end of the week).

The gauge project has suffered a set back for sure. But, it has strived forward in recent months and will continue to do so.

dangermouse

Post by dangermouse » Tue May 26, 2009 2:53 pm

Hi ya Seanie,
I have nothing but the upmost respect for people who get off their arse and start doing stuff, like yourself, Daithaí , Eoin, Mike and Joe, Andy & Keith, But if it were at all possible, wouldn't funding be nice? If ya don't ask you'll never know. eh?
DM

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Tue May 26, 2009 4:50 pm

dangermouse wrote:, But if it were at all possible, wouldn't funding be nice?
Don't get me wrong its a great idea, and no one would ever turn away money. I was just pointing out that the largest problem isn't cash. But as you said, funding would be nice.

I also think that the way Lir CC club did it was very good. They funded their own gauge and some of their members maintain it.