IWW KC motions and nominations - ICU AGM 2008

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

Seanie
IWW KC motions and nominations - ICU AGM 2008

Post by Seanie » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:21 pm

Please find attached the IWW KC Motions (Amened)

Also please accept our nomination of Sean Byrne for the Executive 2 position.

Regards,
Kevin O Hara
There shall be the following classes of members:
Member(s) registered by an ICU Registered Club
A member of an ICU Registered Club who has been designated to Irish Canoe Union membership by that ICU Registered Club and for whom the appropriate annual membership fee has been paid by the ICU Registered Club on behalf of that member. All such members shall be enrolled on the Register of Members held by the Irish Canoe Union.

Every application by a club to the Union for registration as an ICURegistered Club and for the registration of its members as Members registered by an ICU Registered Club shall be in writing and in such form as shall contain the particulars, disciplines actively undertaken in the past year and information as the Board may from time to time determine as being necessary.

ICU Individual Member(s)
An individual who has paid the appropriate annual membership fee and who shall be enrolled on the Register of Members held by the Irish Canoe Union. A registered member of the ICU Training & Development Unit shall be considered an ICU Individual Member.

Every application by an individual to the Union for registration as an ICU Individual Member shall be in writing and in such form as shall contain the particulars, disciplines actively undertaken in the past year and information as the Board may from time to time determine as being necessary.
Note: the proposed IWW KC additions are underlined.
IWW Kayak Club ICU AGM Motions 2008.pdf
(41.68KiB)Downloaded 535 times

mikef

Re: IWW KC motions and nominations - ICU AGM 2008

Post by mikef » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:51 pm

Whats different about this bar having to declare the paddling activity types the member part takes in?

Adrians

Post by Adrians » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:44 pm

Mike,

That's pretty much it, currently there is no record as to what disciplines people partake in on a regular basis, the only gauge of participation currently is competition entry numbers. So if this was to be taken at face value there are only 30 ish freestyle kayakers in the country and recreational white water paddlers don't even exist.

If we were to record what paddle sport people most actively take part in the ICU might be better able to direct its efforts ie towards white water paddlers or to be able to readdress any imbalances that may exist from discipline to discipline which may have knock on effects with funding etc.

Adrian

seanmc

Post by seanmc » Fri May 22, 2009 11:42 am

What happened at the agm? Anything controversial or was that stuff pushed to one side again?

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Fri May 22, 2009 2:48 pm

Well there was a good bit of stuff, so I'll try to give a summary from my recollection. Some of the stuff is left out as it was fairly run of the mill.

- Agenda was changed
The order of business was changed from the one that was circulated before the meeting and put before the ICU Board. I didn't really agree with, or understand the rational for doing so. Motions were going to be heard before elections.

- Item 4 passed.
Article 45 was changed. Meaning that if an executive serves 3 terms (6 years) on the executive they cant get elected to the same position on the executive. This was explained in the context that it would be good to have an out going president on the exec. after his/her term sitting on another seat.

The discussion was cut very short by someone in the crowd calling for a vote to end the discussion. This was successful. No one got a chance to point out that a person could sit on the executive forever if this item passes. This amendment goes completely against what the original reason for Article 45, the article that term limits members to serving 3 terms (6 years) on the executive. Then they would have to take a break for 1 year before they can go up for election again. This was only pointed out later in the meeting.

- IWW KC Motion to record disciplines been practised
This passed with an amendment. It was quite rightfully pointed out that the IWW KC version was very rigid. So the words "where practicable" were suggested by another delegate and it was passed.

- Nominations + Elections
This was an interesting part.

There were two executive positions up for election, Executive 1 and Executive 2.
Executive 1
Brendan O'Connell (the current Treasurer)

Executive 2
Sean Byrne
Cormac Cassidy
Brendan O'Brien (withdrew his nomination)
Sile Sammon

First I raised an objection to Brendan O'Connell's nomination. The President seemed puzzled why I would do so. I stated that I had spoken to the CEO of the ICU on Wednesday about the nomination and pointed out that Mr. O'Connell's nomination was in breach of Article 45. I asked Mr O'Connell's had he served on the executive for 3 terms, he said he had. From what I could find out he has been on the executive for 10 years or more.

I was then asked to spell out what it was I was saying. I then clearly stated that Mr. O'Connell cant stand for election. The President pointed out that Article 45 had been changed and the 3 term limit no longer existed. I pointed out that the nomination isn't valid as it was made when the old Article 45 rule was in place. He accepted this. They then asked Mr. O'Connell to withdraw his nomination.

I believe that the order of business was changed so that there would an argument against the implementation of Article 45 for Mr. O'Connell's nomination.

1. I had notified them ahead of time about the breach of the rules. I was told that the executive would be informed.

2. This year was the first year in the last few years that a member of the executive would fall under Article 45 and that member Mr. O'Connell, then supports the change of that Article at a previous board meeting. And there was a discussion about Article 45 at this very AGM. So neither the CEO or Exec. can plead ignorance to its contents.

3. Article 45 as it stood served to make sure that one person didn't spend too long as an executive. This is for good reason and is common practice in business. 10 years in my opinion is far far too long.

4. This is where the plot thickens. Some people had not applied to be nominated for either executive 1 or executive 2 positions. They simply were nominated for the election for an executive postion. They were never contacted to clarify their nomination and their nomination was simply put into the Executive 2 race. Leaving Mr. O'Connell unchallenged in the Executive 1 race.

5. Then one of the delegates questioned where did the basis for the distinction for two executive positions up for election (Executive 1 and Executive 2) come from? The executive positions, with the exception of the President are seen as been generic form the point of view of an AGM. So it should have been one election with all 5 candidates going for two positions. There was no documented/voted upon basis and the CEO choose to have this format for reasons of practicality. A single election was then agreed upon to decide both positions.

When it comes to the question of why no one acted on earlier advice that Mr. O'Connell's nomination was in breach of the rules, I believe that either the executive and CEO are stupid or were acting stupid. Either way its not good.

Election results
Eamon Devoy went uncontested for re-election as President of the ICU.
Cormac Cassidy and Sile Sammon were elected to the ICU executive

Fee increase
No free junior members and individual members have to pay 20 Euros instead of 10 Euros.

Lots of delegates had issues with the increase, from college students to clubs with an emphasis on juniors.
The arguments for where that we needed the money badly and that 20 euros was still very cheap.
There is some more discussion on this increase here.

Some more bit s and bobs then the End of the AGM

Implementation of rules
It was expressed by some that my question about Article 45 was terrible and it was using "technicalities" to get rid of a long serving member of the executive. And this sort of behaviour, or "point scoring" was disgraceful and bad for ICU AGM's and kayaking in general. It was also said that it was sad that ther was no talk of kayaking at the AGM.

In response to this:
- It was the executives job to implement the rules. They didn't do this for whatever reason. Its sad that I had to point it out (on two occasions)
- It wasn't "a technicality" or "point scoring" it was a clearly stated rule that was voted in at an AGM.
- This new interest in AGM's and the interworking of the ICU is a good thing. This can been seen by member representation at AGM's. The number of delegates has been steadily increasing. Where as a few years ago Quorum couldn't be reached.
- To think that one mans expertise or knowledge deserves a lifelong position on the board is either arrogant or foolish. There are others out there that having something to contribute to the ICU.
- I kayak outdoors, usually on a river, I discuss kayaking on the internet and with my friends, AGM's aren't a great place for that sort of thing.

annie

Post by annie » Fri May 22, 2009 3:28 pm

I have to say I took issue with the implication I perceived by some that a board member was being ousted on a "technicality", and that this was extremely sad as this person had contributed a lot to the ICU. It was pointed out in advance of the AGM that a nomination was unconstitutional according to the ICU's own terms and this was ignored. It should also be noted that there is nothing to prevent this person being re-elected next year, and I would not refer to one year off a committee in 10 years as a "sad" situation, perhaps more of a respite!

There is absolutely no reason why someone new could not also contribute a lot to the ICU, and the old version of Article 45 facilitated that. I was very disappointed that the discussion was cut off by the standing orders. In my opinion it is in the best interests of any organisation to have a mix of experience, and new ideas and fresh energy, which Article 45 went some way to ensuring.

Best of luck to the incoming executive,

Ann-Marie Creaven

Grassey

Post by Grassey » Fri May 22, 2009 6:38 pm

Nice to see the "keep it an old boys club" Article was ammended to further keep it a closed shop.

Adrians

Post by Adrians » Fri May 22, 2009 6:50 pm

Seanie wrote:Well there was a good bit of stuff, so I'll try to give a summary from my recollection. Some of the stuff is left out as it was fairly run of the mill.
Having attended the AGM myself I can say that Seanie's summary is a fair and accurate account of the events that took place.

Adrian