A question I have for Nominees for ICU Executive Committee

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

Seanie
A question I have for Nominees for ICU Executive Committee

Post by Seanie » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:39 am

Would you try to reinstate Micheal Scanlon as CEO of the ICU?

A number of people nominated have in the past been supporters of the disgraced CEO. They have written letters and tried to gain popular support to stop the investigation and following action against Mr Scanlon.

Both Declan Mac Daid and Kevin Horan signed this letter in support of Mr Scanlon.

leftism

Re: A question I have for Nominees for ICU Executive Committ

Post by leftism » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:23 pm

Great question Seanie!

I'm not too familiar with the election procedures at the AGM. Are all nominees going to be afforded the opportunity to state their case as to why they should be elected? I would have grave concerns over the motives for some of the nominees running in this election... As previously stated, David Macdaid and Kevin Horan have done everything in their power to stop the investigation of Mick Scanlon over the past year. I may be wrong, but didn't Conor Ryan resign from the ICU office following Mick's suspension. I would like to know his motives for resigning... Was it in protest to the investigation? A show of solidarity for his ousted leader? Or was it simply for personal reasons?

There are too many doubts over the motives of these candidates for me to support them.

Then again, it would not surprise me for a second if these guys got elected. It would be a typical Irish tale:

-Federation investigates corrupt CEO.
-Following an independent investigation, Federation terminates employment of corrupt CEO.
-A couple of months later, Federation elects on to the board of directors, a bunch of people who have either publically supported or were directly involved with corrupt CEO.
-Federation goes ahead and rehires the same corrupt CEO.
-We all live happily ever after... :?

Brendan

Post by Brendan » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:10 pm

Leftism,

You highlight a very real possibility.

If the usual apathy for all things ICU related prevails, then too few 'normal paddlers' will show up for the AGM, and, as has been the case in the past the views of the minority will be significantly over-represented - we will return from whence we came.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" - Albert Einstein.

Some massive steps forward were taken this year, it will be a disgrace is this ground is conceded on Saturday.
I would much rather be on the water for the day, but not going means a return to what was.......
1) No increase in numbers of people participating in the sport, despite the huge volume of sit-on-top sales.
2) No action on access issues (Remember the proposed Hydro Scheme for the Roughty - BTW this is being proposed again, folks!!!).
3) International teams not getting funding because the ISC says so.....
4) A CEO with €30k per annum pension on top of a decidedly generous salary.......

BOB

Post by BOB » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:32 pm

Does anyone have a copy of the election manifesto Declan Mc Daid has circulated (to some clubs only: I presume we call that partial transparency ???)
I believe there is a claim he plans if elected to return the organisation to financial stability ?
I would be keen to see the exact detail if anyone can send me on a copy of the manifesto.
I can just say that from my observation of the annual accounts and other information that the biggest risk to the financial security of the ICU were the excessively large salaries and packages.
For many years I had sought funding (like other disciplines) of the CX to be mostly ignored and then finally rejected repeatedly. As it turns out the reason for the refusal was staff packages exceeding 100,000 euro - utterly unbeleivable considering the relatively small size of our organisation (3000 members), and the declining grant aid. Worse than this actual package is the concept that previous CX beleif that he was entitled to an annual package increase of about 9,000 euro per year (yes a 9,000 increase year on year, without review or any link to performance)
In the early (1998) years this would have been the equivilant to a 20% to 30% annual increase (does anyone else get this sort of increase ?)
The real question is exactly who it was who:
met the previous CX and agreed this level of increase ? It doesnt look like it was agreed at any formal board meeting.
who approved this level of increase exactly ?
what way it was documented - there doesnt seem to be a contract despite the huge figures involved
who would be stupid enough to apporve such a level of increase without any review, without any link to performance, without any depedancy of funding (yes had the ICU lost its funding it would still have had to cought up what the CX was "entitled to" !
Was this role ever advertised openly ?
How could you give such an increase to a full time employee ( this means the increase just keeps adding up year on year for over 20 yeasr - do the mathis to work out exaclty what the final salary could be !!!

roshaw_87

Post by roshaw_87 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:43 pm

Can you say anything about the appointment of the new Ceo? who it is, length of contract or salary?
087 9862517/ [email protected]
Intelligence is what you use when you dont know what to do

BOB

Post by BOB » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:54 pm

Hi
I'll probably get into trouble for saying anything but.

We agreed a 4 year terms I I prefered shorter (3), but democracy rules)
I suspect the appointment might be in January (thats just a guess) based on the process continuing as planned and no major changes of direction at the AGM.
No one has been appointed that I know of ???
I can say I personnally ensured the post was advertised on the BCU website and the ICF website and an Irish jobs web site and have encouraged and know at least 5 people who applied for the position.
I cant really say the salary (that would be very unfair on people interviwing and whoever gets the role) but it is a significant % reduction on the outgoing CX say in th range of 20 - 30% reduction. Again I suggested alot lower but majority rules.
Furhtermore along with a minority of board members I would have prefered to discuss the overall direction and services the ICU should provide going forward , then decide what staff to employ instead of simply copying the previous structure (again majority rules)
The new role is to be a general managers role not called CX for what it means .
Ok with that ?

leftism

Post by leftism » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:58 pm

BOB,
are there any plans to deal with former members of the executive that were implicated in the findings of the Mick Scanlon investigation? If memory serves, former ICU president Brendan O'Connell's name was mentioned in several of the findings of fact. I don't see how people like this should get away scot-free if they had a hand to play in serious financial impoprieties...

Pat MacAlinney

Post by Pat MacAlinney » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:03 pm

Hi Seanie,

As a nominee to the executive I wish to make clear that I have no plans to re-hire Mr Scanlon if elected.

Yours in paddling,

Pat

BOB

Post by BOB » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:31 pm

Hi Pat,

Thanks for that. I've heard very good things about you.
Best of luck on Saturday !

Bob

keithmcguirk

Post by keithmcguirk » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:13 pm

Pat,

As mentioned above I have heard many good things about you and best of luck in the election.

I have one question if you wouldnt mind answering it, On the last line of Declan MacDaids election manifesto it says;

"Declan fully supports the candidacy of Pat McAlhinney for president and Kevin Horan for executive member of canoeing Ireland"

Will you in turn be supporting the nomination of Declan MacDaid?

Many thanks,

Keith McGuirk
Chapelizod, Dublin

roshaw_87

Post by roshaw_87 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:32 pm

Any chance of sharing that manifesto with this site?

and thanks BOB, those terms are why better than I hoped for, I was hoping we could limit it to 7 so 4 is even better. Your great for sharing that.
087 9862517/ [email protected]
Intelligence is what you use when you dont know what to do

canned

Post by canned » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:46 pm

I find it quite hard to take that some nominees would associate themselves with others. It happens in polotics all over but I think it's quite insulting to basically suggest that if there is oone out of a presented "package" that you like, then you should vote for the others.

For me, I have to say that I find it very hard to try to influence the ear of the club I'm in to have anything to do with voting anyone who has been involved in defending the deplorable actions of the recent CEO.

To that end I find it hard to believe that Pat Mc would have anything to do with associating hmiself with such people.

I think many people who comment on this board are likely to be part of a number of members of their club who can exercise some level of influence. I would hope that many clubs could come up with a concensus between those who have kept themselves somewhat informed and will come up with a relatively complete view of things when they make their decision.

I have to say though I worry that at this point many clubs are just feeling completely disengaged from the whole process.

Personally, I think that Pat Mc has a really solid and holistic view of what paddlers want from our NGB, is a man of integrity and I hope that the committee of ULKC take that on board when deciding which way they will cast their vote.

NiallB

Post by NiallB » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:31 pm

As far as I can see, the support in those statements isn't so much a vote in favour of Pat McAlhinney as a vote against Eamon flemming. Personally I think that either of these candidates will do a fine job and I wish the one to win tomorrow the best of luck.

I think that the much more attention should be paid to the election of an executive committee member. The five nominees are:
Yvonne Glynn - Wild Water kayak Club
Mark Clinton - Salmon Leap Canoe Club
Declan Mc Daid - Kilcullen Canoe Club
Conor Ryan - Rockhoppers Kayak Club
Kevin Horan - Trim Canoe Club

The objections to Declan McDaid and Kevin Horan have been mentioned above, perhaps with Mark Clinton going into that category too.

I'm sure that there will be a large body of support for Conor Ryan. While I respect what Conor has done for the Union and the sport in general over the last number of years, I have to question the wisdom of his decision to stand. I know that if I felt unhappy enough in a job that I had been doing for many years that I wouldn't rush to take up a related voluntary position in the same organisation. Given how soon it is , I would really like to hear about his motivations and what he would like to achieve. To be honest, I don't know why he wouldn't want to step away from the whole thing for a year or two. Y'know, just chill-out , relax and put his feet up.
All that said though, he's someone with a wealth of experience, someone who could have much more to add and someone that I would love to see standing again at some point in the future.