ICU AGM 2011 - 50th ADM Motions & Nominations

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

BOB
Re: ICU AGM 2011 - 50th ADM Motions & Nominations

Post by BOB » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:54 pm

The porposal to set up an audit committee was based on an audit by PWC in 2005 or 2006, they recommneded (from my memory) that an independent audit committee be set up basically to audit the operation of the ICU (financial largely if I remember correctly). At the time the CX and executive / board defended not appointing an audit committee on the basis we either didnt have the resources (we were too small or didnt need the committee). It just should give an extra level of checks.

BOB

roshaw_87

Post by roshaw_87 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:56 pm

How will the new voting scheme work bob. I mean can a club member vote by themselves?

Are we talking about employing a audit committee?
087 9862517/ [email protected]
Intelligence is what you use when you dont know what to do

BOB

Post by BOB » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:34 pm

Currently if your a club member your committee represent you - like it or lump it unless you have some internal rules to the contarfy. So currently say your chairperson represents you - this stays EXACTLY the same.

No the audit committee is voluntary.

BOB

roshaw_87

Post by roshaw_87 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:54 pm

I think its impractical to continue letting chairpersons carry club votes while indivduals outside clubs while letting individual members vote. You would have to leave your club to exercise your own vote.
With this can individual members sign over votes to another individual member?

roshaw_87

Post by roshaw_87 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:11 pm

BOB would you appose an amendment to the motion for it to scrap the second part and just read
That with effect from the 51st ADM all Members will each have their own vote and this replaces the current voting system?

BOB

Post by BOB » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:45 pm

No I wouldnt mind, I think the current voters (clubs) will object. And there is the risk one or 2 clubs could pack the meeting and reduce the current level of democracy . But if you think thats better and the floor support it - go for it !
But as part of the review I think a complete new articles should come out for instance the ISC recmmend NO board members vote to improve democracy and thats the sort of stuff we need to look at adopting.
But as i said go for it.

BOB

leftism

Post by leftism » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:58 pm

@ Roshaw87

How would a club vote then? Entire clubs should show up at the AGM?

(Don't take this post as criticism, i'm in favour of 1 man, 1 vote but i think that allocating proxy votes has its benefits).

My preference would be 1 man 1 vote, with the following caveat. Club members can sign over their vote to their respective club committee if they so wish (proxy vote). That way, clubs can retain a level of voting unity while other club members and individual ICU members can vote independently if they so wish.

roshaw_87

Post by roshaw_87 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:27 pm

I believe yes there should be a proxy for individual votes, but it shouldn't be assumed that as a member of a club you want your chairperson to have your vote. In signing up to a introductory courses you may have to become a member of a club. Those wishing to have their vote transferred by proxy to another should have to fill in a form online or mail it to the office signed. I'm no expert in internet security but I'm sure their can be a way of doing this that is as secure as mailing proxies. Having said that I'd be very interested to see how many people we got in a room if the only way to use your vote was to show up.

Ps: I post here to have my opinions criticized, its a effective way of riding myself of my ignorance. I only wish more people took the time to put their criticisms in writing on this forum.

leftism

Post by leftism » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:32 pm

Yeah, i'd go along with that! Seems a lot simpler than multiplying club votes by a factor of x and then square rooting the product etc. Democracy shouldn't involve complex algebra...

1 man 1 vote. If you cannot vote, give your vote to someone who you trust (so long as this process can be verified).

kev

Post by kev » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:00 am

4.1 This ADM resolves as follows:
That the incoming Board be instructed, as a matter of priority, to establish a
subcommittee for the purpose of reviewing the ICU governance procedures and
constitution.
I think this has real potential and could be one of the most important motions at the ADM. I would like to see it broadened slightly, I feel any review obviously needs to take input and guidance from board members & general members but input from independent experts would be crucial. I'd love to see someone like Liam Mulvihill of the GAA or someone of that kind of caliber approached to lead or co lead that kind of structural review.

A lot of the motions that are there for this ADM are attempts by clubs to initiate certain changes but a genuine overall review, with the assistance of what is effectively a new/refreshed board could really help to revitalise the ICU.