RE: New "High Performance" Centre to be based at Lucan?

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

neiltilley
RE: New "High Performance" Centre to be based at Lucan?

Post by neiltilley » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:01 pm

Does anybody know anything about this "high performance centre" which Lucan Co. Council and the ICU/Canoe Ireland have been in discussions over?

I became aware of this through a friend on facebook who posted a pic of the proposal in the local paper in Lucan.
From the conversation which followed on Facebook there is talks about reshaping Lucan Weir and proposal for building with changing room and showers etc

Firstly is there not a centre on the Liffey already? Why not spread the love around the country or is Dublin the only place people kayak now?
Secondly, is a high performance centre really what the sport in this country needs?
Thirdly, in the depths of a recession where did the money for this come from?

This smacks of the same old same old.
Creating a centre for the "athletes" and disregarding the ordinary paddlers who make up the bulk of ICU membership.

Adrians

Re: RE: New "High Performance" Centre to be based at Lucan?

Post by Adrians » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:09 pm

Neil you have seen my reply re OCI funding on Facebook, Canoe Ireland gets little say where that money is spent.

I'm sure if canoe Ireland had the funds there would be a massive artificial course that runs all year round and cost noting to use but sadly that is not the case.

As for why Dublin, infrastructure bit international and domestic coupled along with the liffey is Dam controlled and for the mostly has water available for events apart from prolonged periods of drought.

neiltilley

Post by neiltilley » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:58 pm

Adrian I agree with your points. (The infrastructure one was blindingly obvious). Im not looking for a whitewater course either, would be nice though. Im looking for a bit more bang for my buck when it comes to me paying my membership.

I pay membership but some of the money goes towards funding a project that I wont be using. (I know it covers insurance too, dont get me started on that)
This topic is not meant to be disrespectful to K1 and Slalom paddlers who I am well aware put in phenomenal efforts in training, but it just seems that the ordinary paddler will not be getting as much out of their membership as the Slalom or K1s.

The bulk of paddlers in Ireland are not athletes who do K1 and Slalom.
(I ve tried both by the way and enjoyed the Slalom. K1 not so much....)

As one girl on facebook commented:
"I know everyone in the ICU works hard, its just that the results are much more obvious in the supported Olympic disciplines"

Adrians

Post by Adrians » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:13 pm

Neil my point is that the funding for the HP programs does not come from Canoe Ireland, organizations like the Olympic Council of Ireland provide most of the funding and Canoe Ireland gets no say how its spent or very little.

Most goes direct to 'carded athletes', its more complex than that but that gives you a fair idea what the set up is.

I have no doubt if Canoe Ireland had access to more funding it would incest in recreational paddling disciplines.

You do pose a question re 'bang for your buck' as a member of Canoe Ireland, now that is a whole other can of worms.

I know I am a member of the TDU as I am an instructor apart from that Canoe Ireland in its current format has little to offer me.

leftism

Post by leftism » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:41 pm

neiltilley wrote: Secondly, is a high performance centre really what the sport in this country needs?
Thirdly, in the depths of a recession where did the money for this come from?

This smacks of the same old same old.
Creating a centre for the "athletes" and disregarding the ordinary paddlers who make up the bulk of ICU membership.
Consider the following things:

1)Little or none of the funding for this will come from the Canoe Federation. It will come from either OCI or ISC high performance grants coupled with some county council investment.

2)Irish Canoe Slalom has over the past 20 years CONSISTENTLY batted way above the national average when it comes to high performance. We have had European Champions, World Cup winners, and to my recollection (open to correction) have placed in the top 5 of the Olympic Games on 4 separate occasions. This has been done on the back of basically ZERO facilities in Ireland.

So the idea that Ireland invest time, money and effort in an event that we consistently perform well in makes absolute sense! If we can produce world class athletes in canoe slalom with no national infrastructure, imagine what we could do with a dedicated high performance centre...