Seanie Should Stand for Election

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

noeltal
Removed by User

Post by noeltal » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:26 pm

Removed by User.

Adrians

Re: Seanie Should Stand for Election

Post by Adrians » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:44 pm

Noel,

This carry on at having a pop at someone whom is largely responsible for getting mass amounts of people back interested in how their union runs and works and was one of the first people to point out the accounting errors that eventually brought to light Mick Scanlon situation is bang out of order.

As a member of the Executive I would expect a far more mannered, balanced, polite and informed reply not just to Seanie but to any member of Canoe Ireland who might raise a question of it's board or it's motives.

Adrian

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:48 pm

Noel I split your post out into a thread of its own as it doesn't address the topic in the: "Rush to select a new Canoe Union CEO/GM ".

I'd love to stand for a position on the executive. I already did in 2009 and failed. But afterward I was informed that Eamon Devoy said that I "got a good vote". I was beaten by Cormac Cassidy, who has resigned and he's seat is vacant, and Sile Salmon, who was a no show at ICU board meetings and AGM's, I assume she resigned too.

noeltal

Removed by User

Post by noeltal » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:42 pm

Removed by User.

Adrians

Post by Adrians » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:25 pm

noeltal wrote:To Adrians, (it might be interesting in the interests of transparency to know the real names of people posting here. You all know who I am and I have made no secret of who I am.)
Noel,

Adrian Shanahan is my name there is no secret about that, you can even drop me a email on [email protected] if you have any more questions.

Now that that is established. Noel given ALL that has gone on in recent times in Canoe Ireland and the lack of information to the ordinary members of CI, some of which I understand due to legal reasons. Surely you and the rest of the executive board can not fail to recognise is that that Canoe Ireland has lost touch with the feelings of the grass roots members. I am not saying this is intentional some would say that given everything that has happened it was unavoidable.

So when the position of a replacement CEO / GM is looked for in what can only be describe in s shady manner it is going to raise a certain suspicion from people. Would it be not be best to begin a new era for Canoe Ireland but starting the appointment of a new GM / CEO in the most transparent way possible in the best way possible?

What is to be gained by rushing the process? So far I can see only negatives.

Adrian

roshaw_87

Post by roshaw_87 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:07 pm

He's moved to a different country, could be a problem. would you be up for running board meetings by conference call Noel?
087 9862517/ [email protected]
Intelligence is what you use when you dont know what to do

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:11 am

For those that don't know (I had to Google it) "hurler on the ditch" is a put down. It a reference to a "Non-participating critic who think they can do better".

Noel, you have a very warpped idea of who I am in your head and I don't think I'm going to be able to shift that. But I'm an optimist, so I'll try..

I would love to stand for election but my geographical circumstances won't allow me to at this time. Maybe at the next AGM. I've no doubt I could whip up a few votes, sure if it weren't for the three proxy cards I was holding at the last AGM you wouldn't be the Treasurer of the ICU.

While I think your posts are disgraceful, I could fire back at you in a tit for tat fashion, but your record as Treasurer has been a good one. Since you were elected you have done a great job.

You are trying to paint me a negative ne'er-do-well, shouting form the sidelines. But if you paid a bit more attention you notice that I have my moments, like when you had your disagreement with the TDU:
Seanie wrote:I agree with both sides in the latest debate. I don't see anything wrong with either of their points or logic. The only issue is timing and leadership. Both are lacking at the moment.
- The people involved right now at ICU board level and on the TDU board have proven over the last year that they the best interests of the ICU, and its members, at heart. The ICU has been riddled with corruption at every level. 10 years of plenty were squandered. The full scale of which only the current board know (it may surpass even what I had speculated). The current ICU board have spent the last year trying to fix that.
noeltal wrote:Speaking of solutions we all know what the problems are and God knows you have spent enough time writing about them here but here is a direct question for you - what solutions do you propose?

What practical, realistic, and achievable solutions do you propose and what solutions do you propose that will not only convince people to vote for you but which will also make the world right?
I have also made many, MANY, proposals for achievable solutions. First stop by the thread on this forum discussing motions for the upcoming AGM. Second look at some of the previous motions at the last four AGM's I have proposed or supported. And here's a post about how the ICU is too focused on getting more ISC grants to the detriment of its grass roots. And if that wasn't enough I give more points how the ICU should move forward here.

noeltal

Removed by User

Post by noeltal » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:35 pm

Removed by User.

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:18 pm

Noel, the post I linked to in my past article were all from the last few months/weeks and refer to the current issues the ICU face.

I stand by the statements I've made.

As for addressing the current issue, your posts are a disgrace, your attacks are Ad hominem and fail to address the points at the core of the discussion. You're trying to derail the discussion.

The current job application process is joke. And it just so happens that several members of the ICU board agree with me. I'm sure you'll hear from them.

Noel, I don't care what you think of me. Why are the ICU executive only giving 17 days notice for the top position in the ICU? Why didnt several ICU board members know that the job spec had been finalized and the closing date set?

tiernan

Post by tiernan » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:33 pm

noeltal wrote:There are three posts up for election at this year's AGM. I hope that the people who put themselves up for nomination realise the significant amount of work that will be expected of them and the poisoned chalice they are taking on. Maybe "tiernan" or others of a like mind might take their courage in their hands and stand up and be counted. I kind of doubt it somehow.
"Noel" - Its nice to see that just because you don't know who someone is you automatically assume that they are not and/or have not been involved in kayaking in Ireland - FYI it extends alot further than the ICU, infact, in my humble opinion I would say that the majority of the day to day kayaking in ireland operates and would continue to operate WITHOUT the ICU!

It is this same generalising opinion from ICU embedded kayakers that have left a distaste in the mouth of many grassroot kayakers and dissuaded them from getting involved in the ICU (i count myself amongst these). Its a sad truth but this has been my experience over the last 10 odd years of kayaking in Ireland.

That said I am a strong advocate of having an operational governing body and have always embraced the ICU's leadership on certain things like river access, training and development, getting releases for events, covering insurance for things like the DCPL and whitewater events. From my own experience, when I was involved in organising the Kayaking Intervarsities way back when - The ICU's support effectively made two of the events happen!
noeltal wrote:
Sorry for being so long winded here (its just my style) but I am sick to death of being told what the problems are without being offered any solutions.
You are being awfully long-winded and your posts reach no concise conclusions other than they smack of "Walk a mile in my shoes and see what its like"... However:
Seanie wrote:Why are the ICU executive only giving 17 days notice for the top position in the ICU? Why didnt several ICU board members know that the job spec had been finalized and the closing date set?
Here is a solution - Give more than 17 (11 working) days notice for the top position in the ICU.

Tiernan O'Malley

EDIT> Forgot to mention "Noel" for my own part - I too suffer from a condition called geographical displacement and cannot attend the ICU AGM - I will however continue to pay my subscription through my kayak club.

EoinH

Post by EoinH » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:11 am

I'm sure if Seanie was actually in the country he would stand as he has previously.

Seanie has an incredible track record of "getting stuff done" in the canoeing community over the past decade. Take this whole website for one and as Adrian has pointed out, he has managed to get people interested in their union again.

I can appreciate that people who don't know him apart from his words here have questions and they should ask them for sure. I would say to people to ask questions in an appropriate tone though and please don't insult anyone.

I am very sorry I will not be able to go to this upcoming AGM (also due to not living in Ireland at present) as I want to express my views and make my vote count. I think that this AGM is a chance for the union to make a huge leap forward in the way they think and act. I'm sure we will see some new young faces on the board and look forward to hearing how it turns out.

Aside:
I have just seen that the ICU gave little or no notice for the top position. I think this is a really poor approach to take with any position not to mind a senior position of a national sports body. Maybe the ICU will be able to tell me on Monday why this was so..

roshaw_87

Post by roshaw_87 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:50 am

Hold the ICU AGM. Re-elect the new executive members that brought about this investigation and the don’t re-elect any executive board members that contributed to this mess. (I’ll publish these names before the election if they have the brass neck to go for re-election).
Got the impression Noel might not have read what Seanie linked so highlighted what I think is relevant, he is a vocal supporter of yours. I'm delighted Noel and Brendan are posting on this site. For many paddlers its the only place they receive information on the current events in Canoeing Ireland and to have two of the three men who are currently making the top decisions using this forum is a fantastic chance for a constructive debate on all matters concerning paddlers. I am particularly interested to hear what both these men have to say on a few issues:

Do you think the structure of CI needs to be changed to better represent the members of Canoeing Ireland/paddlers of Ireland? I differentiate between the two as there are many active paddlers in Ireland who are not members but I think everyone agrees we want to attract all paddlers into CI in the future.

There are many rivers with access issues in Ireland. The Colligan Gorge Games has been the most recent casualty of this and the Tuame wave may be the next. Inland Fisheries recently completed a fish counter on the Boluisce that has been designed and built without consideration of kayakers. These are three examples of access issues that have arisen this summer but I can list more than ten more off the top of my head. The rights or more the lack of rights that paddlers have to use rivers is at the heart of this. Is this something that's important to the members of the executive that will be staying on? this seems like a good time to say I was co opted onto the tdu as a environmental and access officer earlier this year as I am so passionate about this issue.

The AGM was held off till the Liffey Descent had passed.I realise its a historic and big event in the CI calendar but it was pointed out that the Buncrana event caters for a much greater variety of paddlers. If alot of money and resources are going to be pumped into a event should we try to get more disciplines active on that weekend?

The TDU is responsible for administering the awards scheme and instructorships. The new committee has led to a exciting amount of work being done to update and tweak the scheme. Do you agree with the changes being made, in particular the providership model?

The Issue of governance has been mentioned repeatedly on this site. Do you agree with the re introduction of a limit on how long a person can serve consecutively on the board? Do you think the new Ceo should have a contract that limits their time to say a max of 7 years?

I'd like to say again how delighted I am Noel and Brendan are using this Forum and invite them to use this as a chance to win over the skeptics. I agree fully with Seanie that your actions that have ended the "soft touch" approach at board level were courageous. But I want to know where you think we should go from here?
087 9862517/ [email protected]
Intelligence is what you use when you dont know what to do

davefarrell

Post by davefarrell » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:22 am

Hi Ronan.
Re Lifffey descent weekend
I am posting these comments knowing that i intend to paddle in the Liffey descent next year and i want to say thanks to everyone who help with the organisation of the race

Create a post on the board of manegment for a liffey weekend officer and if anyone feels they could contribute to the weekend with a bit of time an effort
e mail me with your ideas and i pass them onto canoeing Ireland and if anyone e mails me i will put them in contact with each other

Do a total analsyis of the costs involved in organising the race this year.
Form a commitee and give them a budget

Lets find out who the organising commitee were this year.

The event went off very well,i would like to have a personal chat with one of the organisers on a personal observation to note for next year.
Some ideas for next year.
The event may have lost some of its status,it is still one of the top events in the country,
It is a great day out as it may be the only event when recreational and competitive paddlers get together,the age of the paddlers is on the increase .
But there is a steady decline in the number of juniors in the gp class,

Why not run all three descents on the same day with a second start at Lucan?
For juniors and novices.and sit on tops.
Maybe some type team racing
An organisers nightmare,but it would free two dates on the calander for a lot of people.

Get the road closed above Lucan Weir,?and one way down along the strawberry beds
Include sit on top paddlers if they qualify by participation in two descent races in the year or if they have compleated the race
before,no signing off entries in this class in the initial years
Bring back the badges most people still have theirs somewhere

Run the event on a weekend there is a high tide in Dublin in the afternoon.
Go down to the canal basin and each of the competive disiplines could hold some form of competition suitable for the venue
and some come and try its
Hold a novice slalom in the basin ,there may be a number of plastic slalom boats.
.surfing might not be possible.
A paddling festival,there may be some dragon boat paddlers and stand up paddlers who use this facility.

A canoe show/exhibition?

A canoeing festival,

Have a look at the Tay descent promotional video.

I been trying to get the results for all the years,at the moment i looking for 1976 results some classes missing and the results of the two races in 1978