Rush to select a new Canoe Union CEO/GM

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

Seanie
Re: Rush to select a new Canoe Union CEO/GM

Post by Seanie » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:59 pm

Simon wrote:One might even say that there is "not one bit of substance" to most of claims Seanie throws out there about the ICU. Its easy to sit behind a keyboards and make vague claims and accusations.
Lets just do a bit of an instant reply of the substance in this thread:

- I made a post called "Rush to select a new Canoe Union CEO/GM" and outlined reasons why the current ICU board shouldn't hire a new GM/CEO before the AGM and also rush the process.

- An ICU board member, Brendan Barry, posted stating that I was making insinuations and that no closing date had been set.

- I added more details to what I knew about the executives plans to rush to select a new Canoe Union CEO/GM" .

- Again Brendan Barry, an ICU board member, posts but doesn't want to comment any further on the New CEO/GM issue as its underway.

- The ICU email kayaking clubs notifying them of the upcoming AGM. Included in that email is a "JOB Advertisement 21 10 11.pdf". This contains a closing date of the 12th November 2011 for applications for the position of General Manager of Canoe Ireland.

- The "JOB Advertisement" document was created and the closing date was set the day before Brendan made his post stating no date had been set.

- Some of the ICU board were not informed that a closing date for applications or the finalisation of the job specification by the executive.

- If that this email is counted as Advertising (and its not), it would mean that the head position at the ICU will be "advertised" for minimum of 17 days, 11 business days.

- The Advertisement for the GM position does not appear on the ICU's own website and it has not been added to any national newspaper yet.

tiernan

Post by tiernan » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:08 pm

noeltal wrote:How do you know that Elvis was not kidnapped by aliens, that Lord Lucan did not steal Shergar, that Colnel Gadaffi is not dead and that the Board and Executive of the ICU do not spend all their time in smoke filled rooms cooking up their latest illuminati style plot to conquer the world?
Noel, I initially thought from this mindless, incessant, retarded commentary that your a/c to this forum has been hacked and you were IWW "Fraped", as the kids call it these days. From other posts I see that you are actually involved in the organisation of the ICU/ CI. I'm genuinely shocked and disappointed at the level of maturity running the ICU (if you are anything to go by)!

Can you please take a step back and look at what has actually happened over the last few months in regard the ICU? I read about the legal challenge brought by the CEO against the ICU in the f&^kin Irish Independent of all places. I have found this website a great source of information regarding WTF is actually happening in the union that I PAY money to be a member of (even after emigration).

I would love to have alternative sources of information and I like to make well informed decisions - unfortunately there is no word passed down to ordinary members of the ICU... FACT! Check your attitude and join the discussion for the rest of us that observe these posts!

Brendan

Post by Brendan » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:53 pm

Hmmmmmm..........this tastes horrendous...... I f*cking hate humble pie.......

Looks like Seanie's claims may have some merit......
Obviously, the fact that Seanie seems to have better information than I do is embarassing.....

Seanie, you were right about the timing, I was not - sorry.

I stand by my decision to defend myself. Outright attacks on the whole board are not a good way of winning friends, or keeping them.
Most of those involved at present have not been there for very long......

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:18 am

Brendan wrote:Hmmmmmm..........this tastes horrendous...... I f*cking hate humble pie.......

Obviously, the fact that Seanie seems to have better information than I do is embarassing.....

Seanie, you were right about the timing, I was not - sorry.

I stand by my decision to defend myself. Outright attacks on the whole board are not a good way of winning friends, or keeping them.
Most of those involved at present have not been there for very long......
Thanks for this Brendan. I'm sorry too. Its to easy to think of the ICU as being a tightly knit group, working as one, rather than a group of individuals. I have the height of respect for you and the work you have done, you have over 10 years of service to the paddling community under your belt, a lot of it at a national level, and it is appreciated.

I really hope the members of the ICU executive committee see sense and back down.

leftism

Post by leftism » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:55 am

Brendan wrote:Hmmmmmm..........this tastes horrendous...... I f*cking hate humble pie.......

This post by Brendan is far more worrying to me than the fact that they're rushing through the selection of a new CEO! It speaks volumes about the disconnect between board members and the executive. Is there a communication breakdown, or did the executive make this decision without informing the board???

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:45 pm

Has there been a ICU board meeting this week?

leftism

Post by leftism » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:41 pm

There was one 2 nights ago... Have heard nothing regarding the discussions at it though.

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:37 pm

Edit: Tomorrow is the closing day for applications. I assume that nothing was changed. (Although I've seen a wrong date advertised, "Friday 12th of November". I assume they mean tomorrow, Friday the 11th of November).

Do other people take issue with how this process was run or are people waiting to see who they select first?

Adrians

Post by Adrians » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:57 pm

The way that this is being rushed just stinks of all things wrong, its a real 'Union way of doing things' as was put to me during the week. I fear how much input Eamon Devoy has had in this process and reeks of Jobs for the boys.

Its a bad move any way you look at it, there was no need to rush the process like this and then for the Executive to hoodwink the rest of the board just is bad bad news.

After all that has gone on this is not the way we should continue.

Canoe Ireland has talked about change these past few years but acting like this just goes back to the ways of old.

Brendan

Post by Brendan » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:48 pm

this was discussed at the last board meeting - and voted upon.
The only change to the process was to be additional advertising using Recruit Ireland or similar.

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:20 am

Thanks for the update Brendan.

Wow. Really. Additional advertising after the closing date, that's new. No national newspaper advertising, a maximum 11 business days notice, starting with an email of the job advertising to clubs, and placement of the ad on the ICU website days after that. I'm sure the resulting candidate will be of a caliber that's a direct reflection on the hiring process.

What are ICU board and executive at? This is beyond unprofessional. To have less than a months notice, that's not widely advertised, for such a senior position? In a governing body that just fired it CEO for misconduct...

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:21 pm

Given all the stuff that's been posted by ICU board and executive members on the forum, can someone please comment on what the situation is with this?

roshaw_87

Post by roshaw_87 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:56 pm

Anyone want to say if the board has picked a new CEO yet?
087 9862517/ [email protected]
Intelligence is what you use when you dont know what to do