Rush to select a new Canoe Union CEO/GM

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

Seanie
Rush to select a new Canoe Union CEO/GM

Post by Seanie » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:19 pm

Hello,

I was previously told that in light of the firing of the CEO and other issues, the ICU wanted to simply get the Liffey Descent done and then the would hold the AGM soon afterwards. I was in support of this.

However the current Irish Canoe Union Board, in particular their Chairperson, are full steam ahead to hire a new Canoe Union CEO/GM before the AGM on November 26th. I've been informed that a new job outline has been drawn up, the job will be advertised for a short period and the ICU Executive are going to select someone before the AGM. This might seem a little rushed to you, that's because it is.

My main concerns are:

Governance Policy / Constitution
- The new job will have a different title and outline to the old position. The CEO's duties are outlined in the Irish Canoe Union Governance Policy, which serves as the ICU's constitution. The only proper way to change that job outline or title is by putting to the members at a Delegate Meeting. Do the ICU board and executive intend on putting the new GM's position in the Irish Canoe Union Governance Policy at all? Or will the one that the ICU executive have already drawn up be forced upon the members at the AGM as they have already hired the GM?

Review process
- No formal review or outside audit of the boards practices, the CEO's job outline, financial controls or the companies practices have been carried out in the wake of the CEO's firing.

Lack of Leadership
- In a report by an investigator for the Irish Sports council the ICU board were referred to as “Light Touch” and he said that "The Executive side were guilty of apathy...". Surely with reviews like that they should hand this job over to a newly elected executive and a new ICU president.

Lack of Transparency
- The fact that the details of the job and appointment process are considered "confidential" at this time speaks volumes about the ICU at the moment.

The ICU board should cease and desist from any activity, other than care-taking measures. They should hand over to a newly elected board at the AGM.

Eamon Devoy, the ICU chairman, should offer his resignation immediately. There are lots of reasons, but the quotes in the ISC's report I mentioned should be grounds enough.

Brendan

Re: Rush to select a new Canoe Union CEO/GM

Post by Brendan » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:18 pm

Seanie,
As a board member I am greatly troubled by this post for a number of reasons, but before I go into my reasons - the opinions expressed below are mine and mine alone, I do not speak on behalf of the board.

1) You are insinuating that the board (and by default me) are in some way fast tracking the hiring of a new CEO/GM, in order to further some nefarious goals (please enlighten me as to the nature of these goals??). The following are the facts, (I was at last weeks board meeting, and thus must be part of the conspiracy?!),
a meeting was held, and the position was discussed, no date has been set for the filling of the new position - that I'm aware of.
There is certainly a desire to fill the vacancy as the office is without 2 people at present, and those who are currently filling in are doing so in addition to their own jobs, as these are people who have jobs and the current 'back-filling' arrangement is not sustainable nor is it fair to either the Union or the individuals. The Union deserves to have the position filled, and these individuals never signed up for this level of commitment (it is to their credit that they have done so) - it was brought about by the failings of those who have gone before.

2) The board is made up of the members of the executive and the Chair of each of the technical disciplines. The Chair of the technical disciplines will not be determined at the ICU AGM as these positions are determined at the AGM's of each discipline. Three of the positions on the executive are up for election - the existing secretary and the treasurer are in the middle of their 2 year term. Thus a 'new' board is unlikely to be all that new, If only three positions of 12 are available

3) Unlike you, everyone at the board meeting is an elected representative. It is hardly your call as to what the board should and should not do. If you want to have your say and be taken seriously then I suggest that you run for a position either on the exective or as chair of one of the technical disciplines. Posting accusational rants online is hardly the way to be taken seriously (ref. Jim Corr)

As per my previous post
http://forum.iww.ie/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=909
It is my belief that the mistake sof the past are corrected and hopefully the future is much brighter for Irish Canoe Sports, especially for those who paddle for fun and are not deemed to be High Perfromance athletes (even though they represent our country with Distinction and are merely thought not to be HP by the Irish Sports Council)

However, in order for this to happen, some candidates need to step forward and be willing to give their time to the sport otherwise a return to the old status quo is inevitable.
So my challenge to all of the readers of this site, is for people to step up and be willing to give their time to improve things(else it will end rather like our last general election and the current Presidential election - I will be voting to keep people out and not because I believe a candidate to be particularly impressive) and for people to attend the AGM and exercise their vote, failure to do so will set our course to return from whence we came

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:22 am

I’m delighted you replied Brendan. I’ll try and ignore that you’re trying to paint me as some sort of conspiracy nut and liken me to Jim Corr.

I clearly outlined my concerns. It’s very apparent that you didn't address any of the substantive points I made (the ones under the underlined headings).

Brendan, unlike yourself I’ve actually been to the last few AGMs. I’ve encouraged and organised people to attend in the past, and I’ve written several motions that have been adopted at AGMs. For the last four years I’ve spent time, money and effort trying to reform the ICU, pointing out breaches of the ICU’s own rules, while people like yourself take cracks at me at every turn. Spare me your sanctimonious lecture about participation or how the ICU works.

Are your points about participation your way of telling me to participate or shut up, Brendan?
You should read this post a chap made a few weeks ago. Its great post about a transparent ICU, meeting minutes being posted online and how he thinks that a investigation into the past 10 years activity should be carried out and published. Why would we need an investigation? He must be a Jim Corr type too!!

But back to the issue at hand. Your account of what happened at last weeks board meeting is somewhat short. Brendan, you can’t say for sure the CEO position won’t be awarded before the next AGM....why? Is it because the ICU board has already told the executive board and the Chairman to proceed? and no one mentioned a specific time-line?

The previous week the board was asked if they were ok with the Chairman starting the process and then the following week he presented a job spec. The CEO stated that he would oversee the process. At this point its no longer in your domain, the executive committee will take it from here. And even at that, only the ICU Chairperson, Eamon Devoy, will sit on the selection panel, along with a representative from the ISC and OCI.

You previously mentioned that people should be judged by their performance. Eamon Devoy should not have any hand in selecting the next GM/CEO, he's been a poor Chairperson by any standard.

The timeline is just one issue. The current process and job spec. is a joke. It’s on par with the same half-hearted amateurishness that brought us our previous CEO issue’s, setting our course to return from whence we came. There should be an external review of the ICU CEO/GM job specification and how it effects the ICU Governance Policy / Constitution in light of the previous issues. This should have been done months ago. A new CEO/GM shouldn't be hired until it is done.

kev

Post by kev » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:46 pm

Given the obvious problems within the ICU I'd have thought the next step by the ICU board would be to prepare and present a plan on how they see the Canoe Union moving forward to the membership at a general meeting.

After postponing the general meeting for so long, to now take steps to put in a new CEO before any consultation with the members seems extremely disingenuous.

Can you comment Brendan as to whether there is some kind of new approach planned by the board?

Brendan

Post by Brendan » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:39 pm

Kev,
First off, the date for the AGM has been announced - 26th of November. The recent debacle with the CEO and in particular the visit to the high court was the cause of the delay.
I'm not going to speak on behalf of the board, as I don't feel it's appropriate. That said, I (speaking for myself, my views, etc, etc) do think that there has been a noticeable change in the board and in the office. With regard to the approach of the board, that is determined by the members, the board is elected by the members to represent them. People need to show up at AGM's, respond to surveys, etc. Otherwise the board are guessing as to what the members want, or they are listening to those who are speaking and these people may not be representing the views of the many.

Seanie,
In all fairness, you can hardly expect to be able to fling accusations about (and you did) and expect people to lie down and take it. If you're going to throw shit, then expect to get some thrown back.

Now with regard to your points, it is no accident that I have not answered them, as I do not think it appropriate for any one member of the board to give details of a process that is currently underway.

Yes, I am telling you to shut-up or participate (in a constructive manner). Any clown can sit at a PC and post a rant. If you wish to be spared 'sanctimonous lectures', then perhaps you might stop giving them. I have not taken cracks at you every time you posted, I generally don't post on boards (I think this is my 3rd post here). However on this occasion, I think you are well out of line having a crack at the whole board, and I am entitled to defend myself.
I'm the first to admit that I have not been to AGM's (refer to my first post), in all honesty I thought they were a waste of time from the point of view of the type of paddling I do (Whitewater/Freestyle/Surf), and I would rather be on the water. I still would rather be on the water. However, I have taken on the role of Chair for paddlesurf, and am doing what is required to satisfy the needs of the role. Over the years, I've organised many events, sunk a fair bit of dough, and given a good bit of my time to the furtherance of the sport.

I have not changed my views on a transparent Canoe Ireland, I still believe that meeting minutes should be published, and report into the failings of the past 10/15 years should be carried out (in order to understand how/when/where the failings occurred and prevent them being repeated, not for the purpose of assigning blame). However I do not believe that this should come before the hiring of a new CEO/GM. I think that we need to get a suitable person in a timely manner, the current situation is not sustainable, nor do I believe it to be in the best interests of the union.

CEO/GM - I'm also not willing to discuss the job spec. - the process is ongoing, the members of the board were elected to act on behalf of the people they represent and are doing so. The job spec. will be published when the job is advertised, this ensures that all candidates will on the same footing starting off. The Job spec. can be sufficiently open enough to cover what is required.

I'm not getting into discussing the merits of elected individuals online - as previously stated, the board members have been elected, you have not been. All the members of the board have been elected, all are giving up their time to attend meetings (in certain cases people are driving significant distances to attend meetings). More often than not it easier to affect change from within.

kev

Post by kev » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:44 pm

Brendan wrote: a meeting was held, and the position was discussed, no date has been set for the filling of the new position - that I'm aware of.
The date announced 12th November is under three weeks away. I'm not sure if there is a minimum notice period needed but I think its fair to say that the ICU does look on track to appoint a new CEO before the AGM
Brendan wrote: I'm not going to speak on behalf of the board, as I don't feel it's appropriate. That said, I (speaking for myself, my views, etc, etc) do think that there has been a noticeable change in the board and in the office. With regard to the approach of the board, that is determined by the members, the board is elected by the members to represent them. People need to show up at AGM's, respond to surveys, etc.
Given the betrayal of trust by Mick Scanlon and by some members of the board at that time, can you understand why people are skeptical and would like to see some kind of new approach within the Board?
Last edited by kev on Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:06 pm

I'd reply to your points Brendan but the email the ICU sent out to all clubs today says it better than I ever could.

17 days 'advertising' (only this email so far, no mention of it on the ICU website) for the most senior position in the ICU. 11 business days. Its a disgrace. And the job spec is a joke....

The document which contains the closing date for applications is dated "21 10 11.pdf", five days ago. This date is before your first post stating "no date has been set". I've no doubt that every word you have posted is the truth as you see it. But, no dates were mentioned to you because someone on the executive decided that you didn't need to know, the board has been run like that for years.
JOB ADVERTISEMENT – CANOEING IRELAND
Canoeing Ireland, formerly the Irish Canoe Union, is the National Governing Body of Canoe Sport in Ireland. Its objectives include the promotion of canoeing in all its forms; support and assistance in promoting, organising competitive and recreational canoeing events.

Canoeing Ireland has a vacancy for a General Manager to lead the organisation, its members and volunteers as it continues to support and advance canoeing in Ireland over the coming years. The role will involve providing support to the Executive and Board in the development and implementation of a new strategy for Canoeing Ireland. The role will also involve the provision of support to both recreational canoeists and high performance athletes. To provide leadership to Canoeing Ireland in its activities including the development and measurement of Key Performance Indicators for the organisation; and to ensure that the organisation is managed and administered effectively for the benefit of all its members.

The Ideal candidates will hold a relevant third level qualification, have a proven track record with at least 5 years work experience in a senior management position, can demonstrate experience of financial management, reporting, and budgetary control procedures.

Have experience in working with High Performance Athletes and High Performance Services Providers, knowledge of change management and experience of Coordinating and working with Professional Service Providers would be an advantage. An attractive remuneration package will be available for the successful candidate and the role will be based at our Headquarters in Dublin.

Applications, including CV and outline of where your skills and experience meet the needs of this role to be forwarded to the following email address: [email protected] to be received not later than Friday 12th November 2011.
Attachments
JOB Advertisement 21 10 11.pdf
(6.83KiB)Downloaded 677 times

noeltal

Removed by User

Post by noeltal » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:51 pm

Removed by User.

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:12 pm

Noel. Your reply is a disgrace too. Not one bit of substance in your entire post.

- 17 days "notice". How long are ye going to advertise it for? Will it be in the national news papers?
- When were ye planning on telling the rest of the ICU board ye had set a deadline for applications. Most of them just found out when the clubs were emailed this afternoon. It looks like the executive is on a solo run. Now that executive committee is made up of three people since the other two seats are spare I would have thought ye'd be more inclined to get things signed off by the ICU board.

I don't see any conspiracy, just some very questionable decisions.

noeltal

Removed by User

Post by noeltal » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:00 am

Removed by User.

Simon

Post by Simon » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:54 pm

One might even say that there is "not one bit of substance" to most of claims Seanie throws out there about the ICU. Its easy to sit behind a keyboards and make vague claims and accusations.

This is a forum on whitewater kayaking.

Why are so many of posts simply political rants by the moderator no less?

rlynch

Post by rlynch » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:12 pm

What's vague or insubstantial about the statements made at the start of this thread?

Ross
We would leave home in the morning and could play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us and no one minded!

kev

Post by kev » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:17 pm

Simon wrote:One might even say that there is "not one bit of substance" to most of claims Seanie throws out there about the ICU. Its easy to sit behind a keyboards and make vague claims and accusations.
SImon, if you have followed the ICU debate at all over the last three years you must admit that Seanie's questions have raised issues that nobody else wanted to see.

The name calling that this thread has descended into says a lot.