Rush to select a new Canoe Union CEO/GM

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

Seanie
Re: Rush to select a new Canoe Union CEO/GM

Post by Seanie » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:21 pm

I've been asked why I think the job spec is a joke.

The specification for the head of the canoeing and kayaking organisation in Ireland doesn't include kayaking or canoeing as a skill. It doesn't even mention it as being advantageous.

They appear to want a general manager that can apply for more grants from the Irish Sports Council (ISC) and then dole them out with Olympic grade procession to elite paddlers. Nothing in the job spec demonstrates that the ICU is seeking a general manager that needs to fix an organization that took weed killer to its grass roots over the last 10 years. The vast majority of ICU members only get a passing mention in the job specification.

The final part of this hiring process is the interview panel. The ICU only has one seat on a three seat hiring panel, the other two seats are held by the Irish Sports Council and the Olympic Council of Ireland. The ICU has one vote out of three when it comes to deciding who we want as our general manager. Why is this? Well its related to all that money we get from the ISC...

The ICU is addicted to the grants the ISC hands out, the new general manager will be introduced to this fact as soon as they arrive for the interview. The Irish Sports Councils objectives are far better represented in this job spec and hiring process than the objectives of the vast majority of the ICU member's. Don't be surprised when the new General Manger of the Irish Canoe Union continues to put the ISC first and the ICU members second.

ICU members need to change this.

Brendan

Post by Brendan » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:06 am

To the best of my knowledge (and I asked very recently):

The interview panel is made up of the president of the ICU and two other representatives, this panel will make a recommendation to the board of the ICU. It is upto the board whether or not they choose to accept this recommendation.

I don't see why the role requires Kayak/Canoe skills?? To my mind, it is largely an admin position, I would like to see someone who can manage the office, facilitate the development of the sport, get new members in, find/develop new revenue streams (I totally agree with the sentiment of moving away from dependence on ISC handouts). In fact, given all that has taken place in the governing of our sport recently - someone from the outside with a fresh and 'untainted' perspective might well fill the role best.
An interest in the outdoors particularly an awareness of the issues that outdoor/adventure sports face would obviously be very beneficial, but many of these aspects are shared with other sports - mountaineering faces many of the same issues we do, multiple disciplines within the overall sport, access problems, promoting an outdoor lifestyle to an increasingly sedentary public, etc.

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:44 pm

I heard it through the grape vine that Eamon Devoy, the ex-ICU Chairperson, is refusing to step down from the ICU hiring panel that will select the next ICU General Manager. And that several board members are supporting him.

If you are a member of a discipline, I would suggest that you ask your Chairperson if they support Eamon Devoy being on the hiring panel after his term has ended.

PS. Sorry I didn't reply to this sooner Brendan.
Brendan wrote:The interview panel is made up of the president of the ICU and two other representatives, this panel will make a recommendation to the board of the ICU. It is upto the board whether or not they choose to accept this recommendation.
While this sounds great, it is useless when implemented. None of the board will have interviewed or even screened the applicants. On what grounds or information would the board not accept the recommendation? The board are acting blind at that point and any action other than to accept the recommendation of the hiring panel (made up of the ISC, OCI and a member of the ICU) would be done so with no information or basis from within the hiring system the ICU has designed.

Brendan, you mentioned to me before that you thought that the finalised job spec was only 80% finalised at the time and that the board would finish it at a later meeting. But in reality the executive board had already decided that it was the final version and that's the version that the applications were measured against.
Brendan wrote:I don't see why the role requires Kayak/Canoe skills?? .
First of all I didn't say this should be a requirement, it would be a nice to have. But, imagine for one moment if the head of the Irish Football Association was new to soccer. Or the new CEO of the GAA wasn't familiar with hurling or Gaelic football. How many months do you think it would be before a total new comer has the slightest idea what involved in surf kayaking, slalom, freestyle, wild water, canoe polo, open canoeing etc.? A good few right? And even at that they would be fairly clueless. It would be advantageous to have that knowledge beforehand.

The emphasis seems to be on "Managing the Office" . To those that don't know, in the past "Managing the Office" can roughly be described as applying for grants, orgaising the Liffey Descent, acting as glorified travel agent for carded athletes, inventing your own contract, creative writing merged with book keeping and avoiding the wider paddling community with the vigor of a xenophobic germaphobe crossbreed. The job spec and ICU have done nothing to redefine what "Managing the Office" should be.
Brendan wrote:....someone from the outside with a fresh and 'untainted' perspective might well fill the role best.
An interest in the outdoors particularly an awareness of the issues that outdoor/adventure sports face would obviously be very beneficial, but many of these aspects are shared with other sports - mountaineering faces many of the same issues we do, multiple disciplines within the overall sport, access problems, promoting an outdoor lifestyle to an increasingly sedentary public, etc.
This might well be true, they might well fill the role best, they might. But that begs the question, how on earth would anyone in Mountaineering Ireland have heard about the Job in the first place???

Nothing in the job spec indicates that we will get someone who can deal with these issues. BUT the core issue about the job spec I'm getting at is the ICU had the opportunity to ensure that ever qualifying applicant has a background and experience to help the ICU develop and grow, by specifically detailing and outlining qualities and attributes that candidates must have that would ensure a world class candidate. The ICU didn't do this, and the icing on top was the manner and length of time they advertised the position for.

Adrians

Post by Adrians » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:03 pm

Seanie wrote:I heard it through the grape vine that Eamon Devoy, the ex-ICU Chairperson, is refusing to step down from the ICU hiring panel that will select the next ICU General Manager. And that several board members are supporting him.
What the F*€k?

He has zero mandate to be in that position, this has to be a total joke right?

leftism

Post by leftism » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:55 am

Seanie wrote:I heard it through the grape vine that Eamon Devoy, the ex-ICU Chairperson, is refusing to step down from the ICU hiring panel that will select the next ICU General Manager. And that several board members are supporting him.
My understanding is that the board voted unanimously on the make-up of the interview panel prior to the AGM. And since we're listening to grape vines these days, i heard that following the conclusion of the AGM, the new president followed board members out into the carpark and proceeded to have a shouting match, demanding that he be immediately placed on the interview panel... Care to comment on this rumour?

If true, I am shocked that his first presidential action following election, would be to harrass board members (whom he had only just met) in a public carpark in front of ordinary members of CI. Not the greatest way to introduce yourself to your new work colleagues and certainly not setting a great example as head of our federation...

The president is a member of the board just like everyone else, and must abide by the democratic process. If the board voted on this, then he should respect that democratic decision! I might not agree with every board decision but i agree with the democratic process.

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:08 am

What possible reason would there be to keep Eamon Devoy on that hiring panel and keep the new Chairman off it? Other than the democratic right of a bunch of people that mostly weren't democratically elected by the ADM of the ICU in the first place?

I'm getting tired of this sort of nonsense. Pat was elected as chairperson, the fact that he allegedly had to raise his voice or even insist that he is allowed to sit on a sub-committee of the board he was elected to chair, a sub committee that selects the next General Manger of the ICU, is nuts.
The Board and Executive may also delegate any of its powers to committees and/or such other persons, as they think fit. Subject to any such conditions, the proceedings of a committee shall be governed by the Articles regulating the proceedings of the Board so far as they are capable of applying. The acts and proceedings of any committee shall be reported to the Board in accordance with the provisions of these Articles
As outlined in the ICU's Memos & Articles of Association, as Chairperson Pat can sit on or chair that committee if he so wishes. The fact that he even has to argue that point is moronic.

One more thing about the "process". Most of the decisions surrounding this ICU General Manager job selection process were made by the ICU Executive committee. Normally the ICU executive committee is made up of five positions. But two positions were vacant. Leaving three ICU Executive board members. Eamon Devoy, Noel Tallon and Karl Dunne.

Apparently Karl excused himself from all proceedings relating to the selection of an ICU General Manager, as he's applying for the position. But that leaves us with only two people left on the Executive board.
61. The quorum for the transaction of the business of the Executive may be fixed by the Executive and unless so fixed at any other number shall be three.
Every action of the ICU Executive Committee with respect to the selection of an ICU General Manager has been without quorum. As such, none of it stands.

lizbyr

Post by lizbyr » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:26 pm

It is blantently obvious why Eamon Devoy has insisted he remain on the Interview Panel that will make a recommendation to the Board as to who should be the next ICU CEO/GM.

Mr. Devoy whats to ensure that his friend Karl Dunne gets the CEO/GM job.

THis whole recruitment process stinks. Two of the 3 individuals (Eamon Devoy, Noel Tallon and Karl Dunne) most involved in bringing about Mick Scanlon's dismissal are now involved in the new CEO recruitment process. One as an interviewer and the other as an interviewee.

It would be an insult to anyone's intelligence to suggest that the decision as to who is going to get the CEO/GM position is not a foregone conclusion and that the new CEO will be Karl Dunne. Both the Executive and Board are now dominated by members of Wild Water Kayak Club who are also friends of Karl Dunne. At the last count there are now 6 members of Wild Water on the ICU Board.

I think Pat MacAlinney will have considerable difficulty having any influence at all as to who is next ICU CEO/GM.

According to the ICU Governance Policy the ICU President is the line manager for the CEO/GM. It is incredible that Eamon Devoy who is no longer the ICU President or a Company Director and who sat on his hands for 6 years during his tenure as President should now take precedence over Pat MacAlinney in influencing who the next CEO should be.

Liz Byrne

paupier

Post by paupier » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:51 pm

My understanding is that the board voted unanimously on the make-up of the interview panel prior to the AGM. And since we're listening to grape vines these days, i heard that following the conclusion of the AGM, the new president followed board members out into the carpark and proceeded to have a shouting match, demanding that he be immediately placed on the interview panel... Care to comment on this rumour?
Sounds like bloody News of the World reporting there! Talk about missing the point.

I do not understand why the board would make such a decision before the AGM.
Not having come to their senses since the election of the new executive seems like they do not see how illogical this position is.
What other illogical decisions are we going to see?

kev

Post by kev » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:39 pm

I would have presumed that any vote that put Eamonn Devoy on the interviewing panel, did so in his position as ICU president. Given that we now have a new president it should automatically pass to Pat.

Any other situation is ludicrous. It means that nobody on the ICU Board will be involved in selecting the new CEO/GM and we are witnessing cronyism at its finest.

Brendan

Post by Brendan » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:50 pm

Seanie,

Do you honestly think for that each candidate is going to be interviewed by 14 people (ie; the full board and a member of the IOC and the ISC)??? If you do, you're clearly enjoying far too much of the hippy lifestyle in San Fran!

You're right, I got burned in the past, that WILL influence how I proceed.
I disagree with your view on the role requiring someone who is a paddler, there is no shortage of paddlers in the union. As far as I'm concerned it's a nice to have. Afterall if it goes to someone with a freestyle background then the other disciplines might be upset, etc. And someone who has been involved in kayaking in this country may well bring in their own prejudices from the past. I would like to put the past behind us (not forget it and repeat it, just move forward, it is the past we CANNOT change it). I do hope that whoever gets the role will take the time to go to events run by the different disciplines and understand the disciplines and what is required by them.
The role is 'General Manager' - not general paddler, and mangament is normally done from behind a desk and involves the book keeping, and assisting carded athletes. It is funded not by the ICU, but by the ISC. As I have stated previously, I would like to see office more involved in increasing the numbers of people paddling (regardless if discipline), increasing the public profile of Canoe Sport, getting non-competitive paddlers involved, involved in access issues and reducing our reliance on ISC fudning. This person may have already achieved these goals for another sport - Triathlon for example, which has enjoyed a recent boom - there are almost certainly lessons to be learnt from them! Dave Pierse recently posted an article from a newpaper regarding a bothy that has recently been opened up north that can be used by sea-kayakers - I see no reason why that could not be done on this side of the border, and perhaps even talk with the MCI about collaborating with them on some in river valleys. (This could be towards the latter end of the new GM's to-do list).
So in short, you have your view, I have mine.

And before you reply, please consider the steps forward that have been taken. A new GM is nearly in, given the scrutiny he/she will be under I doubt a return to the past is likely. Pat Mc is president, a report will be issued after each board meeting, - so accountability is increased, a new strategic plan is to be prepared. Change takes time, but it is happening.

leftism

Post by leftism » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:49 pm

Brendan wrote:
It is funded not by the ICU, but by the ISC.
Just wanted to repost this line for posterity...

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:34 pm

Brendan wrote:Do you honestly think for that each candidate is going to be interviewed by 14 people (ie; the full board and a member of the IOC and the ISC)???
No. I never said that should be the case. I was pointing out the issues with the current system. ie. there's almost no chance that the board will reject the recommendation of the hiring board. And if they do is probably due to the board using information form outside the process, because the current process actually gives the current board almost no information.

I would suggest having another two or three ICU board members on the hiring panel. That way at the very least they could report back to the ICU board, who knows they might have differing opinions.

Brendan wrote:As far as I'm concerned it's a nice to have.
I'm pretty sure we're on the same page on that one...
Seanie wrote:
Brendan wrote:I don't see why the role requires Kayak/Canoe skills?? .
First of all I didn't say this should be a requirement, it would be a nice to have.
I broadly agree with the spirit of the rest of your post Brendan. But, I think we differ on process. To use the analogy of baking a cake, you need the right ingredients and you need to bake it correctly. If you screw up either of those two parts there isn't enough icing, frosting, or cream that can put it right. It'll just be a shit cake with a lot of sweet crap on it. In this case the ingredients are the job spec and the baking is the job interview and onboarding. Once its baked you can't unbake it or add extra ingredients.
Brendan wrote:It is funded not by the ICU, but by the ISC.
One more reason the ICU should be far better represent on the hiring panel.

leftism

Post by leftism » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:07 pm

Seanie wrote:
Brendan wrote:It is funded not by the ICU, but by the ISC.

One more reason the ICU should be far better represent on the hiring panel.
Can you elaborate on this Seanie? I'm not trying to have a go or anything, but don't grasp your logic here. If the Irish Sports Council are the ones paying this persons salary, is their judgement of the candidate not important? Its their money after all...

Also, i love cake!