ICU AGM Motions

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

Seanie
Re: ICU AGM Motions

Post by Seanie » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:27 pm

Adrians

Post by Adrians » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:37 pm

I stand corrected, I forgot that that motion was still passed despite some of us raising the point at the AGM in which Brendan O Connell was 'ousted on a technicality'

A valid motion motion to put forward for the up coming AGM would be to re instate Article 45 to how it once was.

kev

Post by kev » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:42 pm

I was doubting myself there. I think at the minimum reinstating that one year break is important.

leftism

Post by leftism » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:30 am

I'm confused over Article 45! Could we get Seanie's account of what the current situation is? I've read Seanie's account of the Kilcullen AGM and from what is described, Article 45 was scrapped and Brendan O'Connell was forced to step down because he was nominated under the "old" system when it did exist.

If this remains the case, then i would be hugely in favour of reinstating Article 45. In fact i would like to see its powers increased if anything! Stagnation on a board of executive of any company is a very dangerous and sadly very common phenomenon in Ireland. In a sport like canoe/kayak, we need a young, vibrant executive with fresh ideas leading the sport forward! I come from what would be considered an "old school" discipline but this seems like common sense to me...

kev

Post by kev » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:37 pm

The deadline for motions for the agm is Friday the 4th November if people are intending to submit motions through their clubs

Adrians

Post by Adrians » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:11 pm

leftism wrote:I'm confused over Article 45! Could we get Seanie's account of what the current situation is? I've read Seanie's account of the Kilcullen AGM and from what is described, Article 45 was scrapped and Brendan O'Connell was forced to step down because he was nominated under the "old" system when it did exist.

I was at that AGM and I even sat beside Seanie if I remember correct, I'm pretty sure this is what happened.

The amendment to Article 45 was proposed but the ICU board. At the same time Brendan O Connell was nominated by the ICU board for re election to the the executive.

The order of business was changed by the then board so that the amendment to Article 45 could be voted earlier at the AGM. This was so Article 45 could be changed / scrapped so then Brendan O Connell could be re elected for another term longer than previously allowed under Article 45.

There we're some who protested to this change in the order of business but it still went ahead. It was my self who raised the point that as Brendan O Connell's nomination had been accepted prior to the AGM under the terms for nomination as per the ICU constitution and all this happened before the amendment to article 45 that infact Brendan O'Connell's nomination was infact void.

Because of this Brendan O Connell had no choice but to remove himself from the ballot. It was slung in our general direction that it a disgrace that someone like Mr Connell be ousted by technicality.

Thats what happened from my recollection.

Seanie or anyone else who was there please feel free to add or edit that.

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:07 pm

Thats what happened.

paupier

Post by paupier » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:59 pm

While I absolutely agree with enforcing maximum terms of office and how important it is to prevent stagnation.

I have no experience from previous ICU AGM's - do many people normally stand for election?

I know from my own experience it's hard enough to fill 6 positions in a club committee. Rarely more than 1 person standing for a election to a position.

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:04 pm

Usually there is a good number of people in recent years. Last year I think there were about 5 people for two position and the year before around 6 for two positions.

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:58 pm

These will obviously have to be put in the correct language. They'll need to reference what part of the Memo and Articles of Association that needs to be amended or added to.

- Board members voting at a ADM is against the ISC guidelines and as such should not be allowed.
- Voting reform. One person one vote.
- Get rid of the proxy system as it is now. Make each proxy voter sign the proxy sheet.
- Limit the number of proxys sheets one member can hold to one.
- With the exception of the coming AGM, video AGM's and place the video online.
- For deligate meetings all Board submitted motions should be published with the AGM notice, one month before the AGM.