New TDU Newsletter

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

paddymcc
New TDU Newsletter

Post by paddymcc » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:22 am

http://tdu.ie/index.php/2011/10/tdu-newsletter-no-2/

Keep an eye on tdu.ie for regular updates!

noeltal

Removed by User

Post by noeltal » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:46 pm

Removed by User.

Pat MacAlinney

Re: New TDU Newsletter

Post by Pat MacAlinney » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:01 am

Hi Noel,

Just a couple of points.

I've known Kevin for over 20 years, he's not one for sniping from the sidelines. Indeed, in both his professional and personal capacities, he has contributed hugely to the development and growth of our sport over the last 20 years.

He too gives large amounts his time voluntarily to keep the Instructorship programs and the TDU's show on the road. At mostly his own expense.

Most Instructors in this country also give up huge amounts of their time voluntarily, not just the ICU board members.

It's a sad state of affairs when, by your own addmission, the board of the Union doesn't know what it's own Training and Development Unit is about, and how it has to scrape by on funding of a little over €1,000 per annum.

If Kevin hasn't been in touch with you - then why have you not picked up the phone and gotten in contact with him about the TDU finances? It probably would have taken less time to do that than to post here.

Is it true that the Board will not allow the TDU access it's Instructor database? If that's so, then the board is not acting in the greater interest of paddlesports in this country.

It's in no one's interest for the TDU committee to regard itself as isolated from the board.

The ICU board should call an AGM and let's get the air cleared - both on the TDU and the issue of the former Chief Executive.

Yours in paddlesport,

Pat MacAlinney

noeltal

Removed by User

Post by noeltal » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:45 pm

Removed by User.

Pat MacAlinney

Post by Pat MacAlinney » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:11 pm

Hi Noel,

Thanks for the quick reply.

You are correct about my missing your point - I still do. You haven't addressed my points in your reply. The internal turmoil within the ICU regarding the CEO is only partially relevant to Kevin's article.

For your own information - given your stated lack of knowledge about the TDU and what its charged with - I've taken the following from the ICU's website:
Training & Development Committee
The Training & Development Committee through its countrywide network of qualified instructors (Training Unit) is responsible for the promotion of recreational canoeing in all its forms. The Training & Development Committee (TDC) is the annually elected representative body of the TU.
The TDC is involved in making policy decisions, setting operational standards, promoting the training and qualifying of Outdoor Adventure Centre staff, developing resource material, research, training of instructors, consultation, provision of equipment, and promotion of all disciplines through non certificate training courses.

The Training Unit also operates its own website at http://www.tdu.ie
Again from ICU's Aims & Objectives I've highlighted the areas that fall to the TDU:
Aims and objectives of the Irish Canoe Union:

The promotion of canoeing in all its forms.

To organise and assist in promoting and organising competitive and recreational canoeing events.

To select, train, and administer competitors to represent Ireland at international events.

To arrange and provide the holding of instruction in canoeing skills and techniques, the establishment and conduct of a system of tests and qualifications, and the promotion of safety.

To issue guidelines and make regulations for all forms of canoeing as appropriate and to encourage the observance by canoeists of a code of conduct.

To protect the interests of canoeists and to work for improved facilities.

To support administrative or legislative measures which will improve facilities for canoeing and to act to prevent the introduction of such measures injurious to the sport.

To create and promote by publicity and education an informed and interested public opinion of the value and importance of canoeing in all its forms.

To provide and supply information and advice to members by means of books, periodicals and other methods.

To provide services as far as possible and appropriate for other organisations, clubs and persons interested in or associated with the sport and recreation of canoeing.
Most of what the TDU does goes under the adage nobody really knows what I do, but they'd miss it if I didn't.

You have criticised a fellow board member for expressing his opinion on the current state of the Union. Far from Kevin needing to post an apology - I believe it should be the other way around.

I've reread his article just to make sure that I hadn't missed something.

Kevin states the following and if they are untrue then please feel free to correct:

1. His concern/ surprise at the current low membership of the Union - less than 3,000 members.

2. His belief - correctly IMHO - that thus far the Union has punched above it's weight as an NGB. That this is due to the hard work of both the office staff and volunteers.

3. That the TDU is under pressure financially ie. it's broke, and that it's own members membership fee accrues directly to the Union not to the TDU. That fees for certification also go directly to the ICU even though the members of the TDU generate this income.

4. That this financial pressure means that the TDU will struggle to meet both it's national and international obligations under the Adventure Sports Framework and the European Paddlepass scheme.

5. That the TDU does not currently have access to its own database of Instructors. (This has implications far beyond a spat between board members.)

6. That this database is a crucial resource for the TDU in the ongoing development of Paddlesports in Ireland.

7. That the current turmoil in the Union and the lack of a published Strategic plan will affect ongoing relationships with the Irish Sports Council and the future of paddlesports in Ireland.

8. That the TDU is the nearest thing most recreational paddlers have to representation on the board of the ICU, both in it's regional mix and interests. The current make up of the board is mostly from competitive disciplines.

9. That ALL paddlers in the country should get involved in the organisation.

Apart from Points 2 & 7 above, which are his opinion (but ones I agree with), everything he states is, as far as I'm aware, a fact.

If I've left anything out then my apologies.

The TDU like other parts of the Union is far from perfect and in need of some reform, but to attack it's Chairman for expressing legitimate concerns is counter productive.

Again, I would call on the board to call an AGM as soon as possible and to circulate for discussion the Consultants report mentioned in the article.

I've served on Council and I know everyone works hard for their discipline, but in my opinion, there continues to be a bias against recreational paddlers and the regions at Council and Executive level. It's something that should be addressed by the Council at the next AGM.

I look forward to some suggestions by way of motions.

Yours in Paddlesport,

Pat

noeltal

Removed by User

Post by noeltal » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:34 pm

Removed by User.

Pat MacAlinney

Post by Pat MacAlinney » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:45 pm

Hi Noel,

I didn't realise I was shouting....or that Kevin's comments were a rant, or rude for that matter.

They sounded perfectly reasonable, and polite to me.

I note that yet again in your reply you've chosen the route of diatribe rather than respond to my legitimate questions.

I believe that says it all.

I look forward to the AGM.

Pat

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:58 pm

I would urge everyone to hold their fire. In most newly liberated countries there is high likelihood of civil war. Please read this carefully.

I agree with both sides in the latest debate. I don't see anything wrong with either of their points or logic. The only issue is timing and leadership. Both are lacking at the moment.

Facts
- The TDU has been getting screwed for years, over the years it has been relegated in standing to the level of a glorified club, but it is carrying out some of the ICU's most important functions, whilst not getting the funding or support it should have gotten. The current TDU board have spent the last year trying to fix that.

- The people involved right now at ICU board level and on the TDU board have proven over the last year that they the best interests of the ICU, and its members, at heart. The ICU has been riddled with corruption at every level. 10 years of plenty were squandered. The full scale of which only the current board know (it may surpass even what I had speculated). The current ICU board have spent the last year trying to fix that.

The two of these facts are what bring us here today. The ICU board are not going to change anything about how the ICU runs until after the ICU AGM, they feel that all they are able to do at the moment is clean up the mess left after the CEO's firing and keep the ICU ticking over. They are very jumpy when it comes to talk of changing anything, especially when it comes to talk of money.

The TDU want change on a quicker timeline, and they wont wait for the ICU boards permission, why should they? Well if it was the old pre-10/11 ICU board I would whole heatedly agree. But its not, times have changed, I would urge the TDU to be patient and wait for the AGM, then go for it. the challenge for the TDU is not just improving the TDU, its if they can bring the whole ICU along with those changes. It's a harder job but worth the effort.

There are some real fucking scumbags that were/are involved in Irish paddling for years, they lined their pockets with the ICU's money. And lots of people still love them because they were so "involved and helpful". These same scum bags are waiting in the long grass for the current ICU board at the next AGM. They will take the ICU back for spite and not for the good of the ICU. The good that has been done this year can be undone, and will be if some people have their way. We should all be aware of this as we proceed.

I would urge that the entire ICU board, and the entire TDU committee to sit down for a cup of tea together. I know many of you and I know for a fact your vision and hopes for the ICU are very similar. I think this entire issue is the result of a misunderstanding. I would urge ye to come together and go to the AGM united.

lmc

Post by lmc » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:59 pm

To the last post by Seanie
There are some real fucking scumbags that were/are involved in Irish paddling for years, they lined their pockets with the ICU's money. And lots of people still love them because they were so "involved and helpful". These same scum bags are waiting in the long grass for the current ICU board at the next AGM. They will take the ICU back for spite and not for the good of the ICU. The good that has been done this year can be undone, and will be if some people have their way. We should all be aware of this as we proceed.
Do you realy think this helps
Again the AGM is the time and place to try sort

Niall

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:54 pm

lmc wrote:To the last post by Seanie
Do you realy think this helps
Again the AGM is the time and place to try sort

Niall
Yes I do. It's the truth. Lots of people don't know this, others would like to stick their finger in their ears and pretend it didn't happen. If the current ICU members don't deal with this issue before moving onto day to day issues with the TDU the core issue won't get taken care of.

The ICU has a company at its heart. The TDU is attached to this company, if the ICU is not working properly everything else attached to it wont work properly either.

Fix the ICU, then fix the TDU.

Rob Coffey

Post by Rob Coffey » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:26 pm

Without wishing to get involved in the internal politics of the ICU, I would just like to point out that Kevin O Callaghan is one of the most experienced and respected outdoor educators in Ireland. He has been elected by the instructorship body of the ICU to help implement changes to the current provisions of training in our sport, changes that are much needed. In doing this, he is simply following industry best practice of other National Governing Bodies ie ISA, MCI within the framework laid out by Coaching Ireland.

The provision of training and instructor training is vital to the future of our sport. As someone who works full time in the field of outdoor education, and is a Canoing Ireland tutor who runs instructorship courses, I would like to make it clear that the ICU's current difficulties should not interfer with the provision of training and instruction in Ireland, or prevent the TDU and its chairman from doing his job.