Kayaking Avonmore

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

sedantez
Kayaking Avonmore

Post by sedantez » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:14 pm

Hi,

I've been Sea Kayaking for the summer and keen to try a gentle river in Wicklow.

Would the lower Avonmore run (Rathdrum to the Meetings) be safe for a sit-on Kayak?

thanks,
E

Adrians

Re: Kayaking Avonmore

Post by Adrians » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:02 am

Hi,

The section of river you mention is often paddled, at the moment there is littl or no water in the river so no worthwhile.

I would also say that river kayaking involves a new set of challenges and dangers that using a sit on top kayak in the sea. So while it is possible I would strongly suggest you get some prefessional instruction before you take on moving / white water.

Adrian

sedantez

Post by sedantez » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:40 pm

Thanks for the reply Adrians. We ended up giving it a go last weekend.

It was such a great adventure and beautiful scenery. The water level was very low alright but we only had to lift kayaks over two small sections. Having said that the boats got a bashing.

We were capsizing alot in the first hour or so but go the hang of the rapids soon after. Great craic, can't wait to do again.

Any idea when the water levels are expected to rise?.. we are getting enough rain anyways!

Cheers

dave f

Post by dave f » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:25 am

Hi Sedantez,

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself but I think you should heed the advice from Adrain. I know this river extremely well and have paddled it in low & very high water conditions.

Without proper equipment, training & leadership, you are taking a very great risk. Sit on tops are totally inappropriate for this river. Furthermore, when the levels do rise, a capsize can become very serious, with trees being a major entrapment hazard. You need experienced guidance on this river.

I strongly adivse you to get appropriate training, equipment and leadership for your next trip on the Avonmore (or any river for that matter). Contact local clubs, they will only be too pleased to help!

All the best

Dave

sedantez

Post by sedantez » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:15 pm

Thanks for the advice Dave - will get in touch with a local club for the next outing.