annamoe gauge on sundays

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

tiernan
annamoe gauge on sundays

Post by tiernan » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:11 am

why doesnt the annamoe gauge update on sundays?? of all the days like sunday is an important one!!

Daithí

Re: Annamoe gauge on Sundays

Post by Daithí » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:48 pm

It definately sounds like there are back doors into the code! I reckon that its part of an underhand conspiracy with the express purpose of annoying Dublin people :twisted:

How many Sundays did you observe to be missed before you came up with this theory?

Last Sunday, it worked fine anyway. The phone signal at remote river sites tends to be weak so every now and again the sms sending fails when the system tries to deliver its daily report. Weather conditions can also affect the signal strength. Perhaps in a future revision of the code, I'll detect the "Not Sent" and build in a retry mechanism. Codespace is pretty tight though. The program has to fit into less "diskspace" than a single photograph in order to load onto the low power microcontroller. I'm not sure that enough days are being missed to justify messing with it at present but if there were, the easiest short term solution would be to add an external GSM antenna to improve reception. Your other option would be to buy EoinOR lots of pints and to ask him very nicely for the magic number so you could ring the system direct,
Daithí

Seanie

Re: annamoe gauge on sundays

Post by Seanie » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:43 pm

I remember at the start that particular gauge wouldn't update on Mondays, earning it the nickname the boom town gauge for a brief period. Then Eoin sorted it.