College safety weekend

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

kmck
College safety weekend

Post by kmck » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:43 pm

This is a follow on from the college and whitewater topic. I had talks with alot of people in Kerry and over the last few months with Benny, UCD's sports and safety office. One idea that was propossed was a college safety weekend. I have sent out a proposal to the colleges sports offices and to the college clubs. I know I've missed some clubs so if you're a captain and interested pm me here with your email address and I will send on the proposal and add you to the mailing list.

The safety weekend would focus on more junior members of the clubs, good first and second year paddlers. These students represent a blank slate as regards safety and rescue; by training them correctly it will help instil a spirit of good practice, safe paddling and planning within college clubs. By using junior members the college clubs benefit by the fact that they will remain within the club for the longest period of time.
It would be hoped that this weekend would become an annual event that would move around the country.

Aims for the weekend:

 Teach safety skills
 Teach river leadership skills
 Create ties between colleges

The overall aim is to produce student paddlers who are competent in rescue, willing to lead rescue on club trips and have the knowledge to make the safe decisions.

Plan for the weekend:

Friday afternoon would start with a brief introduction followed by either a single talk by one of Ireland’s top paddlers on safety or a series of shorter talks by the instructors on the course. Saturday would be a full day incorporating the RSR 1 course but also river leadership skills. Sunday would be a river trip where the students can take charge of the decision making.

Date: 26th to 28th of August

Why UCD? I've gotten alot of support from our safety and sports office in the form of free use of the college which reduced one cost for the weekend, safety office has said that they will help in anyway they can. Also it's where I'm based and I know who to talk to.

Since this is the internet I'm sure there is something I've missed. Price is still being worked out and I've sent a maximum cost to clubs.

Kieran