visiting ireland

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

jonmiller0
visiting ireland

Post by jonmiller0 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:33 am

I'm coming to Ireland for the first time, and I'm trying to figure out what the whitewater will look like in the southern half of the country in Mid-April.

I think it will be the dry season, but I figured I'd jump on this forum and find out from the source. If you know some good runs that might be running in the class 3-5 range then please give me suggestions. And if I'm visiting during the wrong time of year, then please let me know and I'll plan better for the next time.

Thanks for the help.

- Jon

vintage

Re: visiting ireland

Post by vintage » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:38 pm

I think it will be the dry season
Hi Jon,

Its Ireland I there is no dry season! You have as good a chance in April as any other time of year. You could be lucky and get afew days of rain to get the rivers up. As for rivers in the south I will let others advise.

Best of luck Dave

EoinH

Re: visiting ireland

Post by EoinH » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:29 pm

Hi Jon, the rivers run year round in Ireland as we depend on short periods of heavy rainfall for most of the whitewater. If you are going south then there are a few classics that deserve attention. Co. Kerry has the highest concentration of whitewater in the country so if its raining it could be worth the spin down. See the guides for more info on the following runs all IV+;

Clare Glens
Flesk
Roughty
Slaheny
Gerahmeen

These are just a few but there are many other super runs in the area.