Beginner starting off

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

ColumMck
Beginner starting off

Post by ColumMck » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:46 pm

Hi,

I want to get involved in river kayaking. I have no experience and have only done a little bit of sea kayaking in the past but river kayaking is something that I want to try.

What is the best way to go about doing this? I saw on www.canoe.ie that they run introductory courses, would these classes be the best way to get going?

If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated.

many thanks

Colum

paddy

Re: Beginner starting off

Post by paddy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:08 pm

Hi Colum,
yes the courses on canoe.ie are a great place to start kayaking. Good instruction from qualified instructors with a club that you can join after. They run evening during the evenings or weekends when the weather starts to warm up a bit.

Where are you based Colum?there might be some other clubs you could look to aswell. Heres a list of the registered clubs in the country http://www.canoe.ie/Information/ClubCon ... fault.aspx Not all will provide beginners courses though.

ColumMck

Post by ColumMck » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:28 pm

Thanks for all the information Paddy. I saw on www.canoe.ie that they have a weekend course starting near the end of Apri and I'm based in Dublin so I will probably go for that.

thanks

Colum

Adrians

Post by Adrians » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:01 pm

Colum,

Another option would be to drop Alex Outdoor Discovery a line and do one of their weekend courses. One of his Level two courses would be perfect for you. I know its a bit further away than the ICU center but the quality of the coaching is pretty ace.

Best of luck what ever you decide.

Adrian