Tampa Bay’s five-game winning streak.Despite their friendship,

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators: Seanie, EoinH

panxing18

Tampa Bay’s five-game winning streak.Despite their friendship,

Post by panxing18 » Wed May 08, 2019 2:40 am

TORONTO (AP) — Luke Maile knows how tough Blake Snell can be Dave Parker Jersey , having caught him many times during two seasons with Tampa Bay.Maile, now Toronto’s backup catcher, broke up Snell’s no-hit bid in the sixth inning, and the Blue Jays went on to beat the Rays 3-1 Saturday, snapping Maile said the only thing going through his mind during the at-bat was protecting his health.“Honestly, the only thing I was trying to do was make sure I stayed on his fastball,” he said. “That’s just for self-defense really. If you don’t stay on his fastball, good luck.”Lourdes Gurriel Jr. hit a two-run double off of reliever Chaz Roe (0-2) in the seventh inning to provide the winning margin, while Teoscar Hernandez added an insurance run one inning later.Reliever Thomas Pannone (1-2) got the victory after pitching a scoreless seventh Josh Harrison Jersey , while starter Clay Buchholz earned a no decision in his Blue Jays’ debut. Ken Giles got the last three outs for his fourth save.Despite failing to get a decision, Snell continued his stellar form since allowing five earned runs on opening day, with a 0.47 ERA in the 19 innings he’s pitched since. The reigning AL Cy Young Award winner has 33 strikeouts in those three starts, including nine on Saturday.Though disappointed at being pulled after just 82 pitches, having pitched last Monday in Chicago, the right-hander said he has nothing but confidence in his team’s coaching staff.“It was a shorter week for me to get ready and this is their plan,” he said. “I believe in it 100%. It’s all about longevity and that’s kind of why that move was made.”It was the fifth time this season that Toronto has been no-hit through at least five innings, but the first time the Jays recovered to earn a victory.In some ways, Snell’s brilliance on the mound is becoming somewhat routine to the rest of his teammates.“Amazing. One hit. Six innings. That’s just typical Snell,” said shortstop Willy Adames Gregory Polanco Jersey , who scored the Rays’ only run. “We’ve seen that over the last year, so we’re kind of used to that. When it doesn’t go like that, it’s weird.”Seeing his first action of the season after starting the year on the injured list with an injured right elbow, Buchholz lasted six innings, limiting Tampa to one earned run off six hits, striking out two.The right-hander said he’s learned to moderate his intensity since his last start in the majors, when he was with Arizona last September.“I’ve done it a couple times where I’ve gone out and it’s a max effort every time you throw and I think hard times come from that,” he said. “So I used a little bit of what I grasped in Arizona — less is more sometimes.”ONE AND DONEAfter a franchise-record seven consecutive games of scoring a first-inning run, the Rays came up short on Saturday. That also brought an end to their streak of holding a lead at the end of 45 consecutive innings, the longest such streak for an American League club since Baltimore did so for 55 straight innings in 1983 Jung-ho Kang Jersey , according to STATS LLC.FINALLY CAUGHTJi-Man Choi was caught stealing in the first inning, ending the Rays’ perfect run after being successful on a franchise-best 14 consecutive attempts this season.TRAINER’S ROOMBlue Jays: To make way for Buchholz on the roster, the team optioned INF Richard Urena to Triple-A Buffalo following Friday’s loss to Tampa.UP NEXTRays: RHP Charlie Morton (2-0, 2.25) is 2-0 with a 1.80 ERA in three career starts against Toronto.Blue Jays: RHP Marcus Stroman (0-2, 2.41) still awaits his first win of the season entering his fourth start of the season. Went 0-1 in two starts against Tampa Bay last year, allowing five earned runs in 6 1/3 innings pitched. You could own a piece of history."WhiteFanposts Fanshots Sections Detroit Tigers AnalysisDetroit Tigers Prospect NotebookDetroit Tigers Game ThreadsDetroit Tigers NewsDetroit Tigers PodcastsDenny McLain’s 1969 Cy Young award is for saleNew,13commentsYou could own a piece of history.ESTShareTweetShareShareDenny McLain’s 1969 Cy Young award is for saleImage courtesy of LelandsIt’s not too often you get a chance to own a legitimate piece of history, but for the next four days you have an opportunity to bid on just that. It would appear that former Tigers ace Denny McLain, who won back-to-back Cy Young awards in 1968 and 1969, is selling one of his two trophies. McClain’s 1969 Cy Young Francisco Cervelli Jersey , awarded following a season in which he had a 2.80 ERA, 3.05 FIP, and 1.092 is up for auction at Lelands. The award is not being sold by McLain himself, but rather a collector of Tigers memorabilia who got it from McLain originally. According to the Lelands listing:While McLain’s 1968 season was without a doubt the best of his career (and one of the best a Tigers pitcher has ever had), owning his 1969 award would also be incredible.Anyone have a spare $9000 laying around?Image courtesy of LelandsIf you’re interested in reading more of the listing, or placing a bid, you can go to the Lelands auction listing here.