Poaching

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

Seanie
Poaching

Post by Seanie » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:00 pm

A few lads from Dublin were paddling the Boluisce on Monday and came on some lads poaching fish using nets. At the get out they reported this to a Fisheries officer that was passing. Fair-play to them for doing this, the Boluisce is a protected river for certain types of fish, the river is on its knees in this respect. And having river wide nets poaching might play a big part in this.

This is the first time I've heard about this sort of stuff, is it widespread? And if you came on something like this would you report it? Have people reported stuff like this in the past?

Niall

Re: Poaching

Post by Niall » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:35 pm

Yep it's widespread enough unfortunately. I've found nightlines in wicklow a few times now, though almost always while fishing myself, not exactly something paddlers would notice much.
Normally just cut the lines and take them with me, very hard to prove who did it unless you catch them in the act of laying one so a bit of a waste of time reporting it.
It's actually amazing some of the things fishermen will do to catch fish or make it easier to catch them. Between digging up the banks to shooting herons and cormorants etc etc. So much for guardians of our rivers!

http://www.cfb.ie/ Central fisheries board would be a good place to go if you wanted to report anything.

J.K.

Post by J.K. » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:00 pm

I've no problems with poachers, as I'm very anti rod licence, but I don't like nets, especially ones takign up the entirety of a river.

bryanrichardson

Post by bryanrichardson » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:32 pm

I've no problems with poachers
me either, I poached an egg this morning, yum yum.

EoinH

Post by EoinH » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:16 pm

I have spoken to locals in Spiddal before about this, they blamed Eastern European's and I would agree. I know two fisheries officers and according to them it is still a huge problem throughout the country on both rivers and lakes. In the north western region the vast majority of poaching is on the lakes by non nationals.

There is a different culture towards fishing in Eastern Europe and these guys will go to great lengths to destroy the already low stock levels. In another life as a regular trout angler I had several run in's with poachers and on one occasion was assaulted. I have heard the situation has got much worse in the past few years and fisheries officers will now not approach these guys without garda backup. If you happen to come across any poachers do not approach them but please do call the Gardai and the fisheries immediately and report the duckers.

decgforce

Post by decgforce » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:42 pm

Its really bad in mayo here too, the seaonal run has been very poor this year due to low water levels, killala bay was meant to be teeming with fish unable to go upstream, the navy were hanging around in the bay lately...some trawlers were rumoured to be misbehaving!!

I've only seen lads at it once before on the moy, one had an old coal bag holding the net, the other had a bag full of salmon, they were no more than a mile as the crow flies from fisheries men on the beat! Cheeky.