New Foot Bridge on the Boluisce clearance?

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

Seanie
New Foot Bridge on the Boluisce clearance?

Post by Seanie » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:50 pm

http://www.nuigkc.com/modules.php?name= ... 6215#36215
sinead wrote:I am just after talking to Breandan O'Callaran (Eadoin Ni Challaran's father) and he told me that a foot bridge is being built over Poll Gorm on the Boluisce river in Spiddeal.
This would prevent people from kayaking through the poll, and he feels would put an end to paddling on the river. He has been in contact with the county council to find out more information on the bridge, but it is possible that the bridge has already been built, just not put in place yet.

He is asking the club to do everything in its power to help prevent the bridge being put in place or changed so that it can still be used for kayaking.

Breandan has suggested some sort of get together on the river, with as many paddlers as possible in the next few weeks to object to the bridge.

Hopefully the bridge could be moved/altered so as to not prevent kayakers using it. Hopefully it was jsut not realised that the river is used for kayaking, and once they realise, it can be factored in.

Just thought I should let everyone know asap as it is in all our interests.

Seanie

Re: New Foot Bridge on the Boluisce clearance?

Post by Seanie » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:02 am

Well the foot bridge has been put in place. I had a look at it in the dark this evening.
It looks like there will be plenty of clearance along with a nice new addition to the river.

This is a rough outline of what the bridge looks like in relation to the rock in the centre.
pollGorm_footbridge.jpg
Polgorm Boluisce river foot bridge clearance
I can only imagine that that this will add greatly to the finish of any future Boluisce boater crosses.