Lower Flesk Danger

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

Tom J
Lower Flesk Danger

Post by Tom J » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:37 pm

A double string of barbed wire has been strung accross the Lower Flesk at the first set of rapids after the weir. It is about 1.5km below the normal put in bridge just off the N22 Cork road. The wire is full river width and not possible to remove until river level drops a bit.10-07-2010.Tom J

rlynch

Re: Lower Flesk Danger

Post by rlynch » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:03 pm

Presumably the farmer who owns the surrounding land has erected it for a reason. Why would you remove it? Is the onus not on the paddler to be aware?

Thanks for the heads up though.

Ross
We would leave home in the morning and could play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us and no one minded!

davepierse

Post by davepierse » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:33 pm

Why would you not remove it?

Putting a wire across a river like that is reckless.

rlynch

Post by rlynch » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:42 pm

Because, as I already said, presumably the farmer who owns the surrounding lands has erected it for a reason, such as to prevent the movement of animals.

I think we have a right to enjoy rivers, but I also think we should be respectful of the fact that those rivers flow through private lands, which constitute people's livelihoods. We should be able to enjoy our leisure pursuits around these obstacles.

Recklessness implies being careless of the consequences. I doubt this is the case here. Do you suppose the wire was put up to catch paddlers? Fencing across rivers is commonplace on agricultural land.

Ross
We would leave home in the morning and could play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us and no one minded!

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:04 am

If it were me, I wouldn't cut the wire, for the reasons Ross outlined above. Farmers are having a tough enough time in the current economic climate without having to fork out money to repair broken fences.

And the issue might just be seasonal. On our farm at home we have one or two fences that cross streams/rivers. We only fence them during the summer, as the river usually breaks the fence as soon as the water rises again and by that time the cattle cant/wont want to cross the water anyway.

If I was the farmer and I was charged with being reckless in this case, there are two ways for me to rectify the situation:
- Take the wire down and alter how I manage my cattle/sheep.
- Erect a "no kayaking/canoeing" sign.
The second option is the easiest, and I'll think you'll find that it counteracts the change of being reckless in the eyes of the law.

The first plan of action should be to talk to the farmer, let him know ye paddle there, maybe discuss alternatives. If the alternatives cost more money for fencing etc, I'd be happy to chip in.

davepierse

Post by davepierse » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:22 pm

Now I wouldn't know what the definition of recklessness is but if I knew that people sometimes used a river running through my land and then I put up a bit of barbed wire through that river I think people might call me reckless......

Even if I didn't know that people used the river I'd have to be aware that I owe certain duties to recreational users.

Simply erecting a sign at some arbitrary point on a river wouldn't stop the fact that I have gone out of my way to create a hazard.

I wouldn't normally condone interfering with someone elses property but if it means that one of my buddies might be chasing my boat some day and get clotheslined by something that will be very hard to see then I think there's got to be a line drawn somewhere.

2 cents

(and no I don't want a 10,000 word reply Seanie)

tiernan

Post by tiernan » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:57 am

Reckless or not I think the idea is to try diplomacy first and not going in gun-hoe with a pair of wire clippers.

No point in trying to talk AFTER you've gone and cut down the fella's fence. His reply will most likly start with F- and end with -uck Off.

T