Travel Insurance?

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

muirs
Travel Insurance?

Post by muirs » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:48 am

Hi folks,
just wondering who people have used / would recommend for an annual travel insurance policy. It'd need to cover kayaking, snowboarding and mountain biking. I've heard the BMC one recommended before, but the website is quoting me £165 sterling, which seems awfully expensive... vs something like Quinn at €54 (I have Quinn health insurance already) and while it doesn't mention kayaking or mountain biking, it doesn't seem to exclude them either.... any suggestions?
Cheers,
Muireann

rlynch

Re: Travel Insurance?

Post by rlynch » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:58 am

I've used www.fyi.ie in the past. They're quite cheap and seem to have a good policy, but you'll need to read it yourself to make sure it covers everything you need.

Ross
We would leave home in the morning and could play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us and no one minded!

muirs

Post by muirs » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:04 pm

Yup, I've used FYI before, but still curious if there's anything better out there?

muirs

Post by muirs » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:42 am

Right, bringing this back up to the top! I knew there was a reason I wasn't convinced about FYI... while most of their stuff is reasonable, they only cover search and rescue up to a max of €3500, which seems miserably low if (god forbid) one needed helicoptering out of somewhere.
So to open it back up, who do people use for travel insurance? Please?

jimkennedy

Post by jimkennedy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:08 am

Hey Muirs,

I have BMC insurance, but I've never had to call upon it, so I don't know. Someone, possibly Cormac Lynch, recommended some Austrian version of the BMC but I can't remember the name.

Jim.

annie

Post by annie » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:51 am

jimkennedy wrote:I have BMC insurance, but I've never had to call upon it, so I don't know.
Just wondering what people's experiences of claiming on their travel insurance are, for gear, medical bills, anything? Has anyone ever made a claim? Muirs I just looked at my policy and the updated one with VHI doesn't cover personal accident or personal liability for kayaking, so I won't recommend that!

Ken

Post by Ken » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:31 pm

www.sportscoverdirect.co.uk have good cover and are no problem to claim of if needs be.

J.K.

Post by J.K. » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:34 pm

Hey Muireann,
On my last trip abroad, I found it a lot cheaper just to tell myself strongly that I wouldn't get injured, rather than going over with the mindset of "Sure, I might break an elbow, but at least it'll be covered under insurance."
It worked a charm, a lot of other people smashed faces or dented boats or came down with the 24 hour ghey, but my positive mental attitude was enough to counteract these negative forces acting on me, and I came away unscathed.

muirs

Post by muirs » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:12 pm

Wow JK, you're like, my hero. But you knew that anyway, right?
Sportscoverdirect... looks really good... covers everything I want covered, but would cost me £161 (that's sterling) for an annual policy. That's a lot of money!

Muireann

robm

Post by robm » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:28 pm

Try Blue Insurances - i used them for kayaking in the Alps this year. excellent cover and reasonable price! www.blueinsurance.ie
robm :D :D

annie

Post by annie » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:33 pm

If you take out cover for your canoepolo on sportsdirect Muirs you can paddle Grade 5 for free...