Celtic Link Ferries - two thumbs up!

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

jimkennedy
Celtic Link Ferries - two thumbs up!

Post by jimkennedy » Mon May 24, 2010 12:30 pm

I've been meaning to post this for a while, so here goes.

Celtic Link Ferries rocks!

With the ash cloud shenanigans in April, we ended up taking the ferry from Cherbourg to Rosslare to get home from Corsica. We travelled with Celtic Link Ferries and it was great. It's a newish ferry company (five years old apparently) and seems to style itself as a Ryanair-type operation. I'd never heard of it before but the service was excellent. It usually deal with truckers and a handful of foot passengers, but after the volcano episode the ferry was wedged with foot passengers. Lots of hassled business men, tired and grumpy families, and five smelly kayakers.

At Cherbourg the staff were really helpful loading up our boats onto a little truck, when we got to Rosslare a bunch of the ferry workers helped up carry our boats off the ferry and across to the terminal building and out into the car park. We hadn't asked for help or anything, they just came over to us and offered to help.

Anyway, with European paddling season on the go, I thought I'd let you all know that there's a very helpful and friendly ferry company on the go. It's cheap too, so give it a look if you're travelling.

http://www.celticlinkferries.com/

Jim.

tiernan

Re: Celtic Link Ferries - two thumbs up!

Post by tiernan » Mon May 24, 2010 2:48 pm

Hi Jim,

Thats good to know, a few of our group are using them to get to france this year. One of the concerns was whether or not they'd be strict about the 1.9m height limit of the car + kayaks on the roof (mainly because of the Ryan Air reputation they have). 4 kayaks flat on eachother or 3 on their sides tend to be over 1.9m (not by alot albeit).

I take it from your post you didn't do the crossing with cars, but do you think this will be the case? Or has anyone else crossed with them when they had a car and kayaks?

Thanks

Tiernan

jimkennedy

Post by jimkennedy » Mon May 24, 2010 5:32 pm

Yes, we were foot passengers, lugging our boats, so I don't know. Give them a call on the phone, I'd suggest.

I can tell you for a fact that boats on their side on top of an Espace are over 2.2 metres. I can also tell you that when loading boats on a hire car in an airport carpack, you should check the exits first...

Jim.

jakethesnake

Post by jakethesnake » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:19 pm

I would second the two thumbs up comment went with these lads twice this year and found them fantastic. I really enjoyed my crossing went with my family during the summer time. If I was being pedantic there was not a whole lot to do for the children but othrwise it really was good.

What I like most about it was how clean it was. The whole ship just sparkled. It really was magnificent! :)