Help please!

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

J.K.
Re: Help please!

Post by J.K. » Tue May 25, 2010 8:58 pm

Every manufacturer stands by their warranty.

Your point seems to be that you want to convince your manufacturer that what happened should be covered by their warranty, and the only thing you have said to support this is that you said it's a year old.
Does your boat have a warranty that covers more than a year?
A split boat does not have to be a design flaw. It can mean that you fucked it yourself.
You can break a boat that's ten days old. That doesn't mean that you get a new boat as the warranty is for a year, wise up!

tomas

Post by tomas » Tue May 25, 2010 9:31 pm

Hi
I have had a good experience with Jackson kayak in the past, Creeker split in first year of service and was replaced by the manufactuer without quibble.

Tom.

mike.c

Post by mike.c » Tue May 25, 2010 9:50 pm

Thanks Tom, that the help I was after!

I will consider the new Jackson boat as it looks good.

Mine was one of two, local owned, boats under a year old that split near the seat. Not from direct impact, not from a pin or a swim, not from being dropped or driven over.

jammamba

Post by jammamba » Wed May 26, 2010 9:10 am

Hi Mike...hope all is well. Being as I am the other side of the world I have a good excuse not to be on here..and some of the negativity flowing around also makes it easy to not check in but I will add to some positive vibes from Tomas: I had a Jackson Rocker split-(don't know exactly where or how but starting sinking on the Avonmore..). Although the boat was less than a year old it had had 6 weeks of good use in BC one summer and some Irish stuff when back home but Jackson were very quick and fair after an email or two and like with Tomas they replaced it free of charge...
Keep Wicklow charging and if you=re ever thinking of a trip over here there's always a place to stay!
James

mike.c

Post by mike.c » Wed May 26, 2010 6:24 pm

Thanks James,

Hope all is going well.

Hope to take you up on that offer!

Mike

Every
J.K. wrote:Every manufacturer stands by their warranty.

Your point seems to be that you want to convince your manufacturer that what happened should be covered by their warranty, and the only thing you have said to support this is that you said it's a year old.
Does your boat have a warranty that covers more than a year?
A split boat does not have to be a design flaw. It can mean that you fucked it yourself.
You can break a boat that's ten days old. That doesn't mean that you get a new boat as the warranty is for a year, wise up!

Some of the big manufacturers do not, I have a boat with one manufacturers repair and a split 50mm from the repair. Not covered. No need to wise up just would not accept a boat from this maker again.

rlynch

Post by rlynch » Thu May 27, 2010 10:57 am

mike.c wrote:The question was, which manufacture will stand by their warranty, any one have any happy tales of good customer service? I looked after my last boat, and after the poor service, will never buy from them again!
Actually, Mike, that wasn't the question. But how and ever…

If you feel your warranty is not being honoured you have statutory rights. Follow it up with the ombudsman. But I suspect that you wouldn't get anywhere – because your warranty likely does not entitle you to such cover.

To all the Positive Pete's – get real. I could say I've had good customer service from Company X, but it doesn't mean they will or will not cover something like this. Anyway, I'm sending out sunny vibes to you all.

Ross
We would leave home in the morning and could play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us and no one minded!

jammamba

Post by jammamba » Fri May 28, 2010 7:06 am

I am one of those 'positive pete's' and I am real and Just answering part of Mike's question which was I believe: 'Which maker(s) offer good customer care?'So a real answer from me in my experience is Jackson Kayaks." I could say I've had good customer service from Company X, but it doesn't mean they will or will not cover something like this"-I don't think anyone has said this or even implied this.