Sweet Strutters, are they solid?

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

jimkennedy
Re: Sweet Strutters, are they solid?

Post by jimkennedy » Tue May 11, 2010 9:33 am

I always thought the Sweet Strutter were primarily a fashion thing that came from the freestyle scene (in the sense that head protection wasn't so crucial in freestyle). Unfortunately the trend crossed over to whitewater. I picked one of them up recently to have a look and was shocked at how pliable it was - it just squeezes together way too easy.

I don't know much about the rocker, but there certainly were lots of them in Corsica this year.

For the record I'm a fan of the Shred Ready Shaggy, peak to the back for the neck coverage. My first one was destroyed by the Dargle one day in a way that Strutter would not have been able to handle. Since then I just get another one the exact same every few years.

I always find it disturbing how helmet conversations turn to the topic of 'fashion' so quickly. It's a head protection device, get your priorities sorted.

Jim.

high drop

Post by high drop » Tue May 11, 2010 2:08 pm

Simon's endorsement of the Sweet range of helmets may not be entirely objective judging from Gene17's website:
We will again have a full range of Sweet Protection’s finest White Water Kayaking Helmets for test and demo, at all our Trip and Adventure destinations. Gene17 has had a long association with Sweet, right from the days of prototyping in Norway, and lunching their highly popular Strutter model to freestyle fans around the globe. In the last 10 year’s Sweet has come along way, and is now one of the few core brands in both gravity snow sport and white water. We’ll have the look Wanderer’s and Rocker’s in all colours and sizes, something for everyone’s tastes.
Sean

neiltilley

Post by neiltilley » Tue May 11, 2010 2:49 pm

We had an incident on the Annamoe last November that could have been avoided if a different helmet had been worn.

A helmet similiar in style to the Strutter was involved. Cant remember the name. It was a ShredReddy I think. Hummingbird or Shaggy? Basically it lacked ear protection much like the Strutter.
Basically the paddler clipped a rock with her ear and the area around her temple as she went over. She had to get stitches. Everyone that was there said that if she had ear protection it would have been avoided.

I think the lack of ear and neck protection is a massive downside to the Strutter. On top of that as many people have said they are very "bendy" or pliable.

Since that incident our club has advised all of our paddlers to wear full cut helmets (Rockers, Shred Reddys or WRSI) when running rivers. But of course its still a personal choice.

tiernan

Post by tiernan » Tue May 11, 2010 5:26 pm

Far from ideal, and i'm bored in work!

Tried to align the helmets with the contours of the head, have the "ear" sticking out where it would between the straps and in the case of the rocker its aligned with the ear vent things and have the straps meet under the chin!

like i said far from ideal but gives an idea of coverage.
We had an incident on the Annamoe last November that could have been avoided if a different helmet had been worn.
Not detracting from your experience (i wasnt there) but i've seen alot of people kayak (and sustain injury) from a poor fitted helmet and/or not tightened properly. Ear pads could have prevented these injuries but so could have proper helmets (again not saying that was the case in your incident but something to think about).

T
Attachments
helmets1.jpg

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Wed May 12, 2010 12:12 am

high drop wrote:Simon's endorsement of the Sweet range of helmets may not be entirely objective judging from Gene17's website.
I couldn't think of a better person to comment, because of his dealings with Sweet, testing etc. and because of his paddling experience. Sure, he may not bash Sweet, but I asked a question and he answered it.

If someone is being disingenuous about the information they're offering I'd be the first one to call them on it. From what I see written, Simon is being objective in his above post, and to say/imply the contrary simply because he has business dealings with Sweet...that's is a bit of a low blow and baseless.

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Wed May 12, 2010 1:23 am

Little did I know when I started this thread...:

Re: Glen Coe Incident - Emily Parker
http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... =3&t=63721
box2k2 on Tue May 11, 2010 11:35 pm wrote:It now seems clear that Emily suffered some major impacts to her head, causing her to lose consciousness and eventually drowning. The damage to her Strutter is significant, and there was evidence of bruising on her face.
---
Martin, Darragh, Jake & Patrick

Ken

Post by Ken » Wed May 12, 2010 9:38 am

I'm not sure pointing to specific tragic institutes proves much, whos to say if she was wearing a Rocker/Shaggy/Protec that the result would have been any different.

That said, I wear a Rocker, for the coverage reasons outlined by Tiernan.

davepierse

Post by davepierse » Wed May 12, 2010 9:59 pm

Jim Said
I always find it disturbing how helmet conversations turn to the topic of 'fashion' so quickly. It's a head protection device, get your priorities sorted.
A bit rich from a man who spent two weeks in the back of a car in Corsica reading French Womens Fashion Magazines!

jimkennedy

Post by jimkennedy » Wed May 12, 2010 11:05 pm

Well, you have to take your style where ever you can find it, and I certainly wasn't going to see anything stylish from you, off or on the river...

Here's Dave in his stylish Strutter, after stylishly pinning his boat in a slot I had no difficult paddling through, stylish:

In other news from the holiday that keeps on giving, we have a speeding ticket.

Jim.

EoinH

Post by EoinH » Thu May 13, 2010 1:42 pm

I have never been a big fan of the strutter. I think it is overpriced for what it is and there are several other companies making similar quality products for less.

I have worn a rocker for a few years and found it really good. It cracked after a hard impact last year and I replaced it with the shred ready standard. I have been really impressed with this so far and the plastic version is half the price of a rocker with similar coverage and the same safety rating.

I don't see many strutters on Irish rivers now to be honest and I think people are gradually moving towards a helmet with greater coverage. I have been scared by a few full facers lately though, on the Boyne of all places! Whatever floats your boat eh.

J.K.

Post by J.K. » Fri May 14, 2010 2:13 am

Why would seeing a full face helmet scare you?