Mid week paddlers

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

christramp
Mid week paddlers

Post by christramp » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:48 am

Given the current climate and the lack of paddling I thought it might be a good idea to have a resource for mid week paddling - it would give the ability to take advantage of changes in weather that would suit paddlers. Its frustrating waiting and planning for weekends when the rain is thumping down on a wed. Aslo for us shift work / odd hours / no hours workers it would be great to get out during the week, but often there is a lack of paddling buddies available. I may be completely naive in this but what about a resource where trips were advertised and paddlers could join in when available. I know there may be issues paddling with guys / gals you dont know but most us will arrange a trip with at least one person we know and trust. So I propose the following post up on this thread
1. When
2. Where
3. River grade and level
4. Experience
5. Ablility to lead the trip
All paddling invited - Creeking, Surfing, freestyle etc etc etc
Cheers
Chris
www.kayakhut.com

mikef

Re: Mid week paddlers

Post by mikef » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:54 am

Maybe this could be a good resource for that kind of thing but I think you already need to be friends with the other people who might be free for them to see it I think.

http://apps.facebook.com/paddle-trip-planner/

But if you wonder how did we ever manage before the internet. I think a better solution might be for paddlers to mingle more when they meet others on the river and swap contact details so you have a wider net to throw when you're looking for someone to go paddling with you at the last minute. If you are looking to go on spur of the moment mid-week trips on account of rain you're not going to get too many people willing to sitting down log on and spend 5 or 10mins posting a comment to alert people.

mikef