South-East coast guard helicopter petition

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

paddymcc
South-East coast guard helicopter petition

Post by paddymcc » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:20 pm

This is a petition to stop the coast guard helicopter based out of Waterford covering all the south east of Ireland being restricted to a day light service only.

Please sign this online petition it only takes a sec!!!!!

http://www.petitiononline.com/sar01/

Cheers

Paddy

tomrose05

Re: South-East coast guard helicopter petition

Post by tomrose05 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:55 am

Nice one Paddy, got a good few guys at work to sign it aswell. Hope everyone else here does

Tony W

Post by Tony W » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:42 am

Adrians

Post by Adrians » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:49 am

And as if to hammer the point home
RTE News on Tuesday, 30 March 2010 17:37 wrote:A man who was reported missing while kayaking off the coast of Co Wexford has been rescued by helicopter this evening.

The Waterford Rescue Helicopter rescued the man, who had been missing for a number of hours, off Slade, Co Wexford.
From here

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:48 am

Adrians wrote: And as if to hammer the point home
RTE News on Tuesday, 30 March 2010 17:37 wrote:A man who was reported missing while kayaking off the coast of Co Wexford has been rescued by helicopter this evening.

The Waterford Rescue Helicopter rescued the man, who had been missing for a number of hours, off Slade, Co Wexford.
From here
From my understanding of it, daylight service of the air sea rescue wouldn't have been effected by the cuts, so this dude would still have been rescued even if there were cut backs.

Adrians

Post by Adrians » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:13 am

Seanie,

Your right the night time service coveres from 9pm-9am, I suppose I was trying to get across that the service is invulable to the region and is relivant to use kayakers and is something we should try ensure stays in place.

A

tiernan

Post by tiernan » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:53 am

I was talking to a helicopter pilot that said it would have been an improved service if it had gone the way of the Department of Transport. The new aircraft would have been faster dispatched from wherever its base was in the east than the one that is on 24 hour standby in South East.

I dont know anything about helicopters and wasnt given any numbers so dont know where i stand personally, but the guy seemed to know what he was talking about. I suppose the best scenario is to have both the new rescue helicopter and a 24 hour one in the south east, but is that still going to happen?

Did anyone else hear that and what are the opinions on it?

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:05 pm

Slightly off topic but I have felt for a long time that for mainly for cost saving reasons, the size of our population and reasons I wont get into in detail abouthere, I would rather that the military was still in charge of our air search and rescue. Politicly, it goes against what I see a national military force should be used for, but we don't have a large enough population to justify the current expenditure and size of our coast guard helicopter rescue service.

I feel if the military were put back in charge and given similar resources the service would improve over all. The cost savings might even be enough for this service to stretch to a an air ambulance for remote areas or fit into regional inland emergency planning.