Irish boatercross series.

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

AndrewR
Re: Irish boatercross series.

Post by AndrewR » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:37 pm

This sounds brilliant!!

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:54 pm

It looks like there are a lot of people interested in see this happen. So I have created a WIKI page on the projects wiki here:
http://projects.irishwhitewater.com/ind ... oss_series

It will make it easier to see what the plan is rather that reading through posts. We can still use this thread for discussion but we can put the agreed details up on the wiki. So sign up for an account and get typing :-D

EoinH

Post by EoinH » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:41 pm

This all sounds very positive and there are some great ideas coming out. Any movement on the organisation at all yet? An individual timed race down the top section of the Boluisce would be fun. Also there are a growing number of two person team races (similar to glens race) down longer sections like the Etive Race in Scotland or the Robe Race in BC. Two person team race down the Dargle anyone? :D

J P

Post by J P » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:23 pm

Hi all,

sounds like a great idea to streamline the boatercross series. I don't see the need for a new organisation though. I think Seanie mentioned talking to the ICU in an earlier post. I would talk to the Wild Water Racing Commitee as they pretty much already do what is proposed here. The only difference I can see is that we are looking at harder/more technical runs. The WW calendar is even the same as what Steve suggested earier - September to May. Rather than reinventing the wheel why not approach the WW guys and see where that leads? Presumably they have insurance and all the rest sorted. It would probably need some of the organisers from the current races to get together to have a chat to sort out a definitive plan before approaching the commitee with the plan, most of that work is already done as the events already run. We would probably end up as a sub commitee of the WW one all going well... of course, that means someone has to be on a commitee but couldn't that just be a couple of us (interested parties) meeting up for the craic?

My two cents...

JP

orky

Post by orky » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:35 pm

yeah the whitewater races are very simaler to the glens race but not to boatercross and they follow strict international rules and there insurance wouldnt stretch to the likes of the glens. I think the way forward is for an organisers meeting to agree the league

Steve Fahy

Post by Steve Fahy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:57 pm

Hey Orky and everyone else,

yeah i hadnt dropped this idea completely, but i have been looking at some timings and trying to put together a plan of what input it will take, website, meetings, officials or overseers,etc. Plus i have been asking a few of the organisers how it will all fit.

i will have some info up next week once i have tracked down a few of the other race organisers.

orky drop me a mail with your number and we will look at the enistymon idea.

This wont make any changes to boatercrosses or races as they exist, merely it will encourage folk to attend if they want to get points and be crowned champ for extra kudos and exposure.
this will benenifit organisers and localities and make for more craic and between race interest and possibly collective series insurance at a discount.

so far the possible contenders for series stops would be;

Buncrana
boluisce
flesk
colligan gorge
Jacksons??????? (up in the air-ish)
Enistymon? -orky?

the glens race may be added as a stop or a final or left "as is" but more at a later date.

if anyone has ideas on possible venues not listed mail me at [email protected]

steve