Latex rash

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

Verus
Latex rash

Post by Verus » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:33 pm

Hi Guys,
Does anyone know any cags that are latex free, other than Nookie.
I have been paddling for the last couple of years and am now getting this red extremely itchy rash around my wrists. Both my cags I use most are Palm. I have a Shorty for summer witch does not affect me. I paddle two to three times a week so I need to get it sorted. Its irritating in more than one way. :x :x
Cheers John

kev

Re: Latex rash

Post by kev » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:26 pm

Hi John,

I quite like the seals on the Reed cags, I'm not sure what material they are made of but they are much gentler on the skin than the normal latex ones. There may be a latex coating on them though you'd need to check.

Otherwise have you thought about going with a cag with neoprene cuffs only, they arent as dry but shouldn't be irritating either.

Adrians

Post by Adrians » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:47 pm

Hey dude,

It sounds strange that you just get a rash on your wrists and not your neck also, it may be down to a reaction / irritation form something else?

But if it is a latex alergy you should check out Bio Seals, these will allow you to wear any latex cag our dry suit with no reaction whatso ever.

Hope you get sorted.

Adrian

davepierse

Post by davepierse » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:53 pm

Speaking of rash's I hope your all mended up now Kev.

decgforce

Post by decgforce » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:52 pm

Try washing the cuffs of your cag with a mild soap(dove etc), sometimes oil based pollution from a previous days paddling adheres to the latex and causes dodgy irritations.

tiernan

Post by tiernan » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:42 pm

Hi John,

before ya go buying new gear there are a few things you should try out.

Try using KY jelly or some other water based lubricants to rule out an abrasion problem. It could be that there is a bit of give in the wrist seals (maybe they stretched/ you lost weight) that would cause them to move when you're moving, if they're rough this could make the irritation worse.

also try putting plasters or some gauze around your wrists (like you would with a blister on your heal in hiking boots) to see if there is an improvement.

you also said you paddle 2/3 times a week, have you given it a chance to heal up yet?

You could have an allergy as the lads above stated but its unusual it would only be emerging now (unless you took a prolonged period away from anything latex...). Allergies tent to emerge from secondary and subsequent contact. In that case get a test done and invest in new gear.

Tiernan