The future of Rossbeigh for New Years.....

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

canned
The future of Rossbeigh for New Years.....

Post by canned » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:18 pm

Hey all,
Just wondering what people thought about New Years? Last year there had been a lot of people talking about trying to get discount at the "ice boxes" and I know UL managed to get some money off but in My opinion nowehere near enough.

It's come up a that people would like a change for the last few years but nothing cohesive has come together.....

Is it time to change now?
There's loads of things that are good about Kerry like the rivers available for a start. Also, the fact that the pub puts up with the lunacy (that we pretty much have it to ourselves) is a big plus.

Just wondering if there is any will to make a coordinated effort to move somewhere else?

So where are the alternatives? Or is it worth even talking about?
Personally, I see Enniscrone as being a good option. Plenty of surf spots and the Easky - you could do a bit of a drive and there's plenty of paddling around that region. UL headed to Donegal and stayed in Bundoran a few years ago when we left it too late to book houses in Kerry and had a blast.

There definitely seems to be appetite for change in our club - is there in yours?

Tony

davepierse

Re: The future of Rossbeigh for New Years.....

Post by davepierse » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:59 pm

Personally I hope we keep going to Rossbeigh.

I've been going since I was around 16 and I've thoroughly enjoyed each and every year.

I will preface my comments by saying that i've never spent more then a few hours in the Ice boxes.
They're cold and wet. I wouldn't be particularly interested in spending a week there.

However there is no real shortage of accommodation around Glenbeigh, it does take a bit more effort to find a house but there is alot better value available.

In previous years when an effort was made to move elsewhere (Castlegregory) the pubs didn't know how to handle the situation. I think the dancefloor caved in one night and people had to pay out.

If we decide to head elsewhere we face the prospect that the group that normally hold court in south kerry will split. I think the cons heavily outweigh the pros and semi pros.

I mean where else is going to accept special children like these?

J.K.

Post by J.K. » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:05 pm

Oh, so you won't put that photo on the galway post, but you'll put it here, eh?

muirs

Post by muirs » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:49 am

Yawn. Deja Vu!
Glenbeigh / Rossbeigh doesn't necessarily mean Ice Boxes. I've been there for the last many years except for one Castlegregory year, and never stayed in an ice box house, nor do I intend to. Other houses in the area are cheaper, warmer, and the landlords easier to deal with. This year we had a lovely snowboarding area with jump in our garden, last year we had our own bar in the house. The only downside is a 10 minute snowboard to the pub, and a 20 minute walk home.
However. The reason the ice boxes suit club people is because every year they trash them. Putting 30 people in a 6 bed house does not work for nice houses. It works for cheap nasty houses where nobody cares.
I think most clubs have it figured out, where they get an ice box house for club type people who are only coming down for 1 or 2 nights largely for partying, and then most oldies who are down for a week paddling organise their own house in the area.

seanmc

Post by seanmc » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:58 pm

Yawn.

Every year people complain about the ice-boxes yet they keep going back to them, why? Maybe for some the ice-boxes are the only place will take certain people back.
There are heaps of other houses in the Rossbeigh/Glenbeigh area, just go look for them.

When a house is being crammed full with 20+ people the risk of damage will increase so I don't think you can expect the house owners to give much of a discount.

Something that has changed and I'd like to see reversed is, in previous years most people went to the Olde Hotel or the Towers Hotel in Glenbeigh for a night, and a late night was guaranteed. It's only about 2miles from Glenbeigh to Rossbeigh, surely not too far for a drunken stagger?

The time everyone moved to Castlegregory was good but I don't think it was as good as Gelnbeigh/Rossbeigh.

l8r,

Seán