River Alerts on Twitter ...again

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

Seanie
River Alerts on Twitter ...again

Post by Seanie » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:36 pm

Over a year ago when twitter stopped sending free SMS alerts I lost interest in using their service. However it seems that a lot more of you are using twitter.

So, just in time for the holiday season I've fixed the River Alerts so now all updates appear on twitter too.
http://www.irishwhitewater.com/river_alerts/
http://twitter.com/iww_alerts/

Please take the time to:
- take a look at the alerts before you go paddling
- post any alerts on IFS or here. (you can even text me an I'll post it for you 0863154419)
- follow the alerts twitter, use the RSS feed and thethe mobile site.
- spread the word about the alerts, embed it into your blog, website etc.

All the best,
Seanie

Seanie

Re: River Alerts on Twitter ...again

Post by Seanie » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:10 am

The river alerts have been fixed, there were a few bugs. The twitter feed will now update.

Most mobile operators allow free SMS text message updates for Twitter, so don't forget to turn that on, enabling SMS's when there is an alert.

Ken

Post by Ken » Sun May 08, 2011 1:23 pm

After another weekend with patchy rain about the place I was thinking it would be great to have Twitter feed with river levels as people see them. A lot of people have smartphones now so have the ability to update easily. Could something like this feed be used as a central place to post stuff like that? I-canoe's Facebook page does something similar for wicklow's rivers already which is very useful for deciding if/where to go.

Adrians

Post by Adrians » Sun May 08, 2011 9:08 pm

Ken,

A simple way of doing it would be for people just to settle on a #hah tag like #avonmorelevel or what ever adn include it in an tweet relating to the rivers current level and anyone can pick it up that way.

All you would have to do is decide on a set of hash tags everyone would use.

Adrian

Ken

Post by Ken » Mon May 09, 2011 6:32 pm

Adrians wrote:
All you would have to do is decide on a set of hash tags everyone would use.
That's the tricky part! Would people follow and contribute to a a #Irishriverlevels Twitter account?

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Tue May 10, 2011 12:45 am

I'll post whatever ye decide on the IWW_Alerts twitter account.

Adrians

Post by Adrians » Wed May 11, 2011 8:29 am

Ken,

People wouldn't have to follow a certain account at all, All they would have to do is tweet a river level and include the hash tag #iwwlevels

They anyone with a smartphone just has to enter the #iwwlevels into theur twitter client and they will get every tweet with that hash tag in it.

For those without smart phones they would just have to go to www.search.twitter.com and they can get all of the tweeted river levels updates their.

Using this system means anyone can contribute and recieve the information without any special setting up needed.

If Seanie or those that run the current tweeting gauges wanted to they could just include the #iwwlevels hash tag into the tweets and theis would feed into the 'system' . Perhaps Seanie you might consider sticking in a wee sidebar wigdet running the '#iwwlevels' search.

Adrian

Ken

Post by Ken » Thu May 26, 2011 12:34 pm

This was set up on Facebook along the same idea of what I was saying before! could be usefull.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Irish-riv ... 00?sk=wall

pajo

Post by pajo » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:10 pm

I''ve been sending in some alerts through the twitter account but none seem to be getting through or being forwarded on, is this still working?