Free L3 Skills Assessment and RSR1 Course - Bandon

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

Seanie
Free L3 Skills Assessment and RSR1 Course - Bandon

Post by Seanie » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:51 pm

ICU wrote: Hi guys,

The Irish Canoe Union will be running two instructor workshops on the 21st and 22nd of November 2009. As part of these workshops we will be offering free Level 3 Skills Assessment on Saturday and free RSR1 Training on the Sunday to any of your club members who might be interested.

This is a great opportunity for beginner and intermediate paddlers to work with experienced and qualified instructors under excellent ratios free of charge, ratios may be as low as 1:1. Even if people don’t feel they are not up to standard, it is a good opportunity to get some good training and specific feedback. Also there may be many strong paddlers around who have just never gotten around to doing the Level 3 Skills Assessment, so it is a good opportunity for them to get it out of the way for free.

Saturday 21st November: Level 3 Kayak Skills Assessment
Time: Meeting at 1.00pm, Ready to get on at 1.30pm
Application form link

Sunday 22nd November: RSR1 Training Course
Time: Meeting at 1.00pm, Ready to get on at 1.30pm
Application form link

Please ask anyone interested to fill out one of the attached application forms and return them to us as soon as possible, before Wednesday 18th November as we need time to co-ordinate the two days. They can just leave the payment blank.

More details can be found on our Training Calendar here

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions. We can take up to 40 people on each day so don’t be shy! The more the merrier!

If you know of any other clubs or individuals who may be interested in the day please forward them on the information.

Regards

Benny Cullen

Seanie

Re: Free L3 Skills Assessment and RSR1 Course - Bandon

Post by Seanie » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:02 pm

Unfortunately due to weather this thing was cancelled.

Another thing I found out was that there wasn't that many people signed up for the free places on the courses. I was rushing to get the young bucks in our club signed up ASAP, little did I know the demand would be so low. This is seriously weird stuff.

The weekend is part of the ICU's continued professional development program for instructors, a really good program it is too, they should be commended for this. As a by product of this CPD courses there are free places for anyone that wants to take the course.

They advertised the free places widely and contrary to common-sense they weren't flooded with people signing up. Are Irish people so sceptical about something that free that they keep away? Is it a bad time of year (For NUIG it was timed perfectly)?

Whatever the reason(s), when it rescheduled I would ask everyone to plug this event within your paddle group or club. Having more paddling peers with their Level 3 or RSR can only be a good thing. And you cant beat free.

Adrians

Post by Adrians » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:25 pm

Hey,

Much link Seanie I found it difficult to believe when Benny told me people were not beating down his door to be a part of this day and get some savage stuff for free. Seriously when times are a little tighter like they are now and a chance to save a nice tidy sum on free training & assessments I would have thought the list of people wanting to do this would have been epic long. If I was in a position that I needed to do either of these courses I would have grabbed it with both hands.

How and ever.....

These have been rescheduled for the new year.
Level 3 Kayak Skills Assessment

When: 27 February 2010
Details:

Date

27/02/2010
Cork - Lower Bandon
Course Provider

Irish Canoe Union
Contact No

01 625 1105
Email

[email protected]
Assessor

TBC
Total Places
Lots
Places available Lots
Fee

FREE OF CHARGE
Application Form

Skills Application Form
Meeting Time

1.00pm
Meeting Place

Lower Bandon Put In
Notes Level 3 Kayak Skills Syllabus

This Assessment is open to anyone

* Interested parties should download and submit an application form by email or post and leave the payment blank
LINK HERE

And
RSR1 Training Course

When: 28 February 2010
Details:

Date

28/02/2010
Cork - Lower Bandon
Course Provider

Irish Canoe Union
Contact No

01 625 1105
Email

[email protected]
Trainers

TBC
Training Panel Applicants

TBC
Participants to date

Lots
Places still available

Lots
Fee

FREE OF CHARGE
Application Form

RSR Application Form
Meeting Time

1.00pm
Meeting Place

TBC
Notes RSR1 Syllabus

This training is open to all persons with interest in White Water Safety and Rescue

* Interested parties should download and submit an application form by email or post and leave the payment blank. Please contact the Irish Canoe Union if you have any further queries.
LINK HERE

Adrian

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:31 am

I'm surprised there wasn't a big demand for this. It's encouraging to see these courses being run outside of dublin, spreads the love. In the locals defense, I believe ucc had their fresher weekend organised for the same weekend. Otherwise i'm sure they would've hopped on that gravy train

AlanKel

Post by AlanKel » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:33 pm

I've never paddled the Lower Bandon before, where's the put-in point for it? Could someone send a link from google maps please?

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:30 pm

On top of that, if someone has the time could they write up a guide for that part of the river.

Seanie

Micheal Mc Sweeney

Post by Micheal Mc Sweeney » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:58 am

The normal get on is above or below the weir in Bandon town. Next to Lidl and Supervalue.
There's a few more spots down river with suitable parking and easy river access, even a chipper half ways.
Not sure where the lads are going to use at the weekend. Its 10 minutes drive from Bandon to Innishannon. You can see the river from the road all the way. Get off river right, under the bridge in Innishannon.
And sure everyone knows where Bandon and Innishannon are.
No time to put up a proper guide right now, but if nobody else has done it by June (After exams), I''ll take a stab at it. Maybe.

muirs

Post by muirs » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:34 am

Hey Alan, as the Postie says, if coming from Cork or anywhere civilised, head out the main Cork / Bandon road and you'll pass through Inishannon. At the end of the village the road bends left over a bridge, this is the get off. To park, turn left immediately after the bridge and 50m further on you'll see parking on your right. You can walk down to the river through the trees from here.
The get on we normally use (there are a few options): continue out the Bandon road from Inishannon, straight through the little roundabout at the petrol station, all the way into Bandon til you come to a t-junction (river can be seen on your right). Turn right, then immediately left before you cross the river, so heading up along the river, big supervalue carpark is just up here. You can choose either above or below the weir.
Muireann

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 97675&z=13

AlanKel

Post by AlanKel » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:47 pm

thanks Muireann :)

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:02 am

Thanks for that lads, I pretty much copied and pasted what ye wrote up and added a guide:
http://www.irishwhitewater.com/river_gu ... php?id=490

I also added a map, thanks Muireann.

There still good bit missing form the guide, so if someone does have the free time to add more or upload photos, it would be appreciated.

Thanks again,
Seanie