Copyright for the photos and river guides

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

Seanie
Copyright for the photos and river guides

Post by Seanie » Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:53 pm

As its stands I have the normal copyright terms etc for this site. So when you upload images or guides etc. it becomes property of the site. You can see the details here: http://www.irishwhitewater.com/disclaimer.php
It was added with the best intentions, and its the norm with most sites but....

This is kinda bullshit, because I recognise that its really the property of the person who wrote the guide or took the photo, and that their true intension when uploading to this site is that it gets shared with everyone.

This site is a tool for kayakers to share this information. And that any money or credit that I get isn't for the content on the site that users submit, its for the tool i have created.

It is for these reasons (and a lot more, but I wont bore ye with them) that I intend on going to change the type of license that the content is licensed under. I have great respect for the creative commons license so it will more that likely be this http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/ (or somethink like wikipedia have, we'll see soon)
Overview of One of the Creative Commons licenses I might use wrote:
88x31.png
Creative Commons
88x31.png (5.33KiB)Viewed 4080 times
You are free:
* to Share — to copy, distribute and transmit the work
* to Remix — to adapt the work

Under the following conditions:
*Attribution. You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
*Noncommercial. You may not use this work for commercial purposes.
* Share Alike. If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one.

* For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the license terms of this work. The best way to do this is with a link to this web page.
* Any of the above conditions can be waived if you get permission from the copyright holder.
* Nothing in this license impairs or restricts the author's moral rights.
(you can read the legal details here)

Also I don't think its cool if anyone makes money from another persons hard work, so I would like any new license to prohibit the commercial use of the content of the site(without express permission). As I see it this move is a positive one for everyone involved and can only benefit the entire community.

So what does that mean? well It means that the information on this site will be easier for people to access, because hopefully people will copy it and use it in other places. Meaning that the information about the rivers will spread, achieving exactly what this site is meant for.

I haven't changed it yet, because there is still some more research to do, but I said I'd let ye know what my intentions are and I would like some feed back from ye. I might have overlooked something or people might not like the idea. Either way I would love to hear it.

Stay safe,
Seanie

Seanie

Re: Copyright for the photos and river guides

Post by Seanie » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:26 pm

I haven't really done anything with this for a bit. But I received an email this morning that was requesting to use two of the photos on the site for a charity project.
A chara,

The Public Libraries in Ireland along with the Department of Environment, Heritage and Local Government, the National Council for Curriculum and Assessment (NCCA) are currently developing an online education resource for primary and secondary level students which will be located on the website http://www.askaboutireland.ie.

As part of this project we are currently trying to source images to illustrate these education units. We would like to ask your permission to use an image of yours of the River ....... (edit by seanie) we found on the website http://www.irishwhitewater.com We are more than happy to accredit this image. Please could you provide the exact statement you wish us to use? Please note that the image will only be displayed with a web quality resolution (ie 72dpi) and will not be useful for downloading and printing purposes.

If you would like to see some of the work which we have already completed please click on this link: http://www.askaboutireland.ie/show_narr ... ge_id=1042

We have a small budget and are willing to pay for the use of this image if necessary but please note that we are a registered charity and the project is to benefit Ireland\'s primary and secondary level students.

We would be extremely grateful if you could satisfy this request at your earliest convenience.

Best wishes,
Rónán

Rónán Mac Lochlainn
Library Assistant
An Chomhairle Leabharlanna
53/54 Upper Mount Street, Dublin 2
I have contacted the guy who uploaded the photos. And I'll do what ever he wishes to do.

However in the future wouldn't it be cool if non profit (if its for profit they would have to contact me, who would then contact the uploader) organisations cool just take teh images, use them giving credit without asking.

So I fully intent to move the site to Creative Commons in the next week or so. Do ye as users have any ideas, feeling or questions about this?