What's the story with the fence at the Dargle put-in?

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

jimkennedy
What's the story with the fence at the Dargle put-in?

Post by jimkennedy » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:03 pm

Hi all,

There's a new fence at the Dargle put-in. It looks recent (there's sawdust lying around) and it covers only the bit you see in the picture below (picture courtesy of Kate):

At first glance it looks specifically designed to stop people accessing the river over the wall. In looking around it seems that the gatehouse has a planning permission notice up for an extension, and there's evidence of heavy vehicles at work inside the sidegate (between the main gate and the river).

Does anyone know what's going on? Has there been some change of ownership, or some aggro with the owners? The impact on us is obvious to see. If someone's gone to the trouble of putting up a fence exactly here, they must have some issue with us. It would be good to find out what's going on and maybe try to sort something out.

Be careful what you say, this is a public forum...

Jim.

Adrians

Re: What's the story with the fence at the Dargle put-in?

Post by Adrians » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:09 pm

Jim,

Just repeating my answer from IFS as this is prob a better forum for this topic,

I just did a quick search for planning permissions in the area and this looks to be it.

Location: Golden Gate Lodge, Powerscourt House, Enniskerry, Co. Wicklow
Wicklow CC wrote:demolish existing single storey lean to extension to the rear of existing dormer style gate lodge, renovate existing gate lodge, construct a single storey extension to the rear of existing lodge, install a proprietary treatment system, associated percolation area, all ancillary site works and services

Ref here file ref number 09907

At a bit of speculation I'd say as the decision is to be giving in just over a month the contractor is preparing the area for work. It would be an obligation on the contractor to close of the area to public for the duration of the works.

This would come under Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005, S.I. No. 299 of Safety, Health and Welfare (General Application) Regulations 2007 and S.I. No. 504 Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (Construction) Regulations 2006.

That's only an educated guess, even though the contractor may have no issues with paddlers accessing the river they would have legal obligation to restrict access to the area. There are ways possible ways for the contractor to allow access but this would no doubt be hastle they wouldn't want.

Adrian

Ross Redmond

Re: What's the story with the fence at the Dargle put-in?

Post by Ross Redmond » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:38 pm

Maybe just call up the land owners and ask what gives?