level four training/assessment

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

civildivil
level four training/assessment

Post by civildivil » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:16 am

Is their anyone running level four training or organising an assessment later on this year.
Is the Bouluisce still used by instructors to assess level four ?
I have level 4 a number of years, Does the cert expire ? enough though I'm still paddling

Adrians

Re: level four training/assessment

Post by Adrians » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:22 pm

civildivil wrote:Is their anyone running level four training or organising an assessment later on this year.
The ICU are the only ones who can run assessments for L4 skills unless otherwise approved by them, the training calendar is keep up to date here
civildivil wrote: Is the Bouluisce still used by instructors to assess level four ?
Yes to the very best of my knowlege

civildivil wrote: I have level 4 a number of years, Does the cert expire ? enough though I'm still paddling
The skills awards do not "run out" so once you do your assessment you will always have it, the awards have been tweaked lots over the years to try and keep up to date with advance in paddling technique.

I think you may just want some coaching as opposed to a level 4 skills course, there are a bunch of really good level 3+ / 4 coaches around that would be able to help you out. If you are Galway based try get in contact with Ali Donald who is super or chat to Kipper or Brian in Total Experience who arrange tailor made courses here.

Adrian

http://www.canoe.ie/LinkClick.aspx?link ... uage=en-GB

Colm

Post by Colm » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:35 am

super

roshaw_87

Post by roshaw_87 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:56 am

I thought once on the level four assesment panel a level four instructor could run assessments themselves?

ps if your looking for ali donald heres the email address to his company
[email protected]
087 9862517/ [email protected]
Intelligence is what you use when you dont know what to do

Adrians

Post by Adrians » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:16 pm

Alright Bosco,

I'm pretty sure that once you are accepted on to the Level 4 assessment panel you still have to apply to the office for permission for each L 4 Skills assessment you run.
The ICU wrote:IRISH CANOE UNION
Training Course & Assessment Approval Application

Training Course & Assessment Approval
The following procedures outline the steps required to obtain Irish Canoe Union recognition for training courses and assessments.

Prior approval is required for all ICU Training Courses and Assessments above Level 3 Proficiency; all levels of Instructor and Coach Training Courses and Assessments; and River Safety & Rescue (RSR) Courses.

Approval can only be sought by a Course Director or an Assessment Director (i.e. the ICU qualified instructor or coach directly responsible for the organisation of a course or an assessment).

Only currently registered instructors or coaches who are members of Course Provider or Assessor Panels are considered appropriately qualified to work on ICU courses and assessments that require prior approval.

1. Approval being sought for a Course or Assessment
A completed Approval Application Form (accompanied by confirmation that a proposed course or assessment is appropriately covered by third party public liability insurance cover) should be returned to the Irish Canoe Union Office not later than 2 weeks (14 days) before a proposed training course or assessment is due to take place.

2. Course or Assessment Approved
A stamped copy of the Approval Application Form will be returned to the Course Director or Assessment Director, within one week of receipt of the Approval Application Form by the Canoe Union Office, indicating that a training course or assessment has received approval or not.

Courses and assessments that have not received prior approval will not be recognised or considered valid by the Irish Canoe Union. No records will be maintained or certificates issued for courses and assessments that have not obtained prior approval. An individual having completing an unapproved course or assessment may subsequently have to undergo an approved course or assessment in order to progress through the Awards Scheme.

Insurance
One of the conditions of approval is that a course or assessment, the instructors/coaches with responsibility for running a course or assessment, and the participants involved in the course or assessment are adequately covered by third party public liability insurance.

A declaration from an insurance company or insurance broker confirming that a course or assessment, the instructors/coaches with responsibility for running the course or assessment, and the participants involved in a course or assessment are adequately covered by third party liability insurance must accompany each application for approval. The declaration must include the following information:

1. Policy Number
2. Period of Cover
3. Limit of Indemnity

Alternatively a declaration on headed notepaper from a club, centre or college and signed by a director or manager confirming the above insurance information and including the text below may accompanied an Approval Application Form. The text of the declaration should read be as follows:

That info come from this form on the ICU site. I am guessing it has something to ensure all assessments are carried out to the standards of the Union.

I once head this set up describe by a prominent coach as the ICU "being Sheppard & Sheep" when means it has complete control of the market re delivering these assessments thus eliminating competition in the market.

To be fair it doesn't affect me but that the situation as best I can tell.

Adrian

*that may be a para phrase as opposed to a direct quote, it was a while back.