Where to paddle in Ireland

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

bojan5
Where to paddle in Ireland

Post by bojan5 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:46 am

Hi!

I'm from Slovenia. I and my family are planning to visit Ireland first two weeks in August. I'm white water kayaker and I'm looking for some suggestions where to paddle at that time. I'm interested in grade 3-4. I will also need to borrow boat, paddle and some other equipment (some of it I will bring), so some kayak center should also be near. I might also need some boat shuttle, because we will travel by car. I will try to get car with carrier but I'm not sure if I will manage.

Thank you very much in advance.

With best regards,

Bojan

tiernan

Re: Where to paddle in Ireland

Post by tiernan » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:38 pm

Hi Bojan

What part of Ireland are you coming to visit? What is your plan for the 2 weeks?

Kayaking in ireland is not as reliable as in Slovenia. The rivers only work here after rain, and even though it rains alot in ireland this summer doesn't seem to be raining enough (yet).

Tiernan

bojan5

Post by bojan5 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:03 am

Hi Teirnan!

We are planning to go all across Ireland, so I can adjust route a bit if necessary. I'm open for any suggestion and place. I was afraid that some one will tell that about rivers in Ireland. I've got that impression surfing internet.

Anyway, can you suggest few places, most reliable (if any), where some kayak centers are nearby. Is there any guide book with river descriptions available?

Bojan

mikef

Post by mikef » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:44 am

Hey Bojan

If you get yourself a road map once you get here and maybe people could post up a bunch of mobile numbers for the different regions and before you head to say Galway Mayo Sligo etc. you could text someone over there and get the heads up on the paddling possibilities. Your family will kill yea if your chasing rain the whole time your here but maybe that is the attraction of Ireland for you?

Well anyway if your passing through or around East County Cork, Waterford or Wexford drop me a text and we can hook you up. Mike Flynn +35387-9158466

bojan5

Post by bojan5 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:08 am

Thanks Mike. I will save your No.