Getting started building a Gauge

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

Ronan
Getting started building a Gauge

Post by Ronan » Tue May 26, 2009 4:00 pm

I know its a pain but could the construction details be reposted on the same site with the upgrades and a step by step guide of what goes where and plenty of photos' please!!

It would be greatly appreciated!!

I have access to all the machinery to mass produce circuit boards via CNC as well as most of the components. I just require a step by step guide for the entire project (i.e. An Idiots - How to guide) and would be willing to send out boards to clubs so all they need to do is solder in the components as shown in the photos.

One of the main problems is what goes where and how do I attach a modern phone?

Can people help???

I understand this would require quite some work; however it would mean that people do not need to post up or e-mail - What next? etc. etc.

Seanie

Re: Getting started building a Gauge

Post by Seanie » Tue May 26, 2009 5:05 pm

Hi Ronan,

You hit the nail on the head, if we make it easier for people to understand the instructions we'll make it alot easier to undertake.

I started this part of the site a while back:
http://projects.irishwhitewater.com/

I had intentions on doing a lot more work on it, I would welcome as much help with it as possible.

I also have started making a video, but don't hold your breath on that one happing any time soon (my gauge is about 2 years in the making :-p )

There is a thread here describing how to get started:
http://www.irishwhitewater.com/forum/vi ... 2&t=9&p=30

If we could bring all of this together and put it all on the projects.irishwhitewater.com wiki, I think it would make it much easier for people to get started.

While all of this is getting sorted, please feel free to post here or give me a call on 086 3154419, I should be able to point you in the right direction.

All the best,
Seanie

Ronan

Post by Ronan » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:04 pm

BUMP!!!

tiernan

Post by tiernan » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:24 pm

Ronan

Post by Ronan » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:21 pm

Hi folks.

Does anyone have any closeups pics ot the river gauges PCB's?

All I require is the layout for the tracks and components! I know there is the original document on the web; but I still need full closeup pictures to get a look at how the gauge is built etc!!!

Thanks again!

Huck it

Post by Huck it » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:27 pm

kthx

jimkennedy

Post by jimkennedy » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:05 pm

Brilliant! That's the funniest thing I've seen all week.

Daithí

Post by Daithí » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:18 pm

The old layout for the tracks and components in on the website at
http://pei.ucc.ie/daithi/RiverSpy22_silkscreen.pdf
but that verion can't be mass produced as its dependent on a supply of reliable old siemens phones which don't exist. The sensor piece won't change very much though (see below)

The next version of the controller pcb will use a modem such as this one instead of a phone. We'll try to get lost of pics of the next build.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RIM-1802G-1800-MH ... 0276292642

The Flesk gauge is still in my garage. I think that I fried the sensor by wiring it backwards. I'll be adding a few extra components in the next version to make the wiring more idiot/hangover tolerent. I have 3 new sensor parts in the making at the moment so there will be spares ready to go if needed in the future.

Ronan, if you want to get stuck in straigh away, just make the sensor part of the pcb and get that much going.
Add a 15V zener diode onto the pcb backwards across the supply terminals to protect it in case of over-voltage or reverse connection. Also, add in a 1k resistor onto the pcb between the output (pin 6) of AMP1 and the cable. If you are making pcbs, email me a copy of the artwork before you make it if you want me to check it over,
Daithi

muirs

Post by muirs » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:19 pm

Daithí wrote:but that verion can't be mass produced as its dependent on a supply of reliable old siemens phones which don't exist.
I actually found a reliable old siemens phone yesterday while cleaning out my room if it's of any use to anyone?
Muireann

Ronan

Post by Ronan » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:49 am

Cheers folks! You’re all stars for helping out - even TomTomG for using my pseudonym (Huck It) to make the forum a brighter place.

Brian

Post by Brian » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:15 am

http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Make_Your_Gadgets_Twitter

One of those microcontrollers along with a usb internet dongle would be savage. Real-time data.
Imagine a twitter feed that posts whenever a river rises to a runnable level

JohnCostello

Post by JohnCostello » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:59 am

Hi Ronan,

A few of us are trying to do something similar to what I see you have mentioned. We also should have access to a PCB router. At the moment we're in the middle of a redesign, having talked to Daithi and some of the others who have built the gauges.

It would be great to work with you on this and pool resources.

If you're interested please mail me at [email protected].

John

Ronan

Post by Ronan » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:57 am

No worries John.

I'm going to continue building the gauge using the current setup as I would need all the info (dumbies guide) to build the updated one as i'm literally copying it in build by numbers kind of style.

As long as it works its all good.