Paddling in the Alps, any words of wisdom?

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

Seanie
Paddling in the Alps, any words of wisdom?

Post by Seanie » Thu May 14, 2009 1:17 pm

I'm going to be paddling in the Alps for the first times this summer. Any words of wisdom?

tiernan

Re: Paddling in the Alps, any words of wisdom?

Post by tiernan » Thu May 14, 2009 1:45 pm

dont underestimate the rivers, pictures online and views from the road make them look alot easier than they are, also when the guide book says its a grade 3, it will be more like a grade 3+ or 4 of an irish river (in terms of challange, obviously its tough to compare alpine rivers to irish ditches). start off with some good warm up runs and work ur way up.

remember that the water is higher after lunch, and ur confidence will also be higher after a mornings kayaking (IMHO)

dont go kayaking in the morning unless u have had a breakfast of coffee, pain au chocolat and croissants.

go to the student boater cross on sat 13th of june if possible, its mental craic!

Adrians

Post by Adrians » Thu May 14, 2009 11:39 pm

Seanie,

Would have thought an auld river dawg like your self was a Alps vet at this stage..... Less words of wisdom and more common sense...

Like the song says, wear sunscreen!

Drink less beer and more water, sounds like a shite thing to do but you want to make the most of your time there.

Dress for the water not the weather...melt water is cold!

Hit those eddies deep and hard, none of that little drifting bow rudder lark at the very top of the eddie or you will be bouncing down river before you know it. :roll:

France rocks, enjoy it... make sure you get some Desperado beer! Buy shiny stuff in Decathlon, at least try speak French.

Oh and last but not least "Active blade pressure" more of that too..... What's some advice without some buzz words eh :lol:

J.K.

Post by J.K. » Fri May 15, 2009 5:36 pm

Desperado? THat's fuckign rank, who'd like tequila flavoured beer?

The main thing I got from the first river I ran over there that it's a lot faster than Ireland, so sharpen up your response times.

Adrians

Post by Adrians » Fri May 15, 2009 5:55 pm

J.K. wrote:Desperado? THat's fuckign rank, who'd like tequila flavoured beer?.
Right here JK....right here!

Tastes from heaven but the hangover from hell....

J.K.

Post by J.K. » Sun May 31, 2009 9:40 am

The latest issue of KS has an instruction dvd made by David Arnaud in it, filmed on some of the classic runs. Even as a guide, it's pretty helpful, and obviously as a learning tool. I'm really impressed with his shooting style, he's rigged up some kind of A frame on the back deck of his boat for filming, a wee bit reminiscent of third person shooters. It's a lot nicer to watch than usual head cam footage, even if it's a lot riskier for the camera itself. Anyone heading over there should definitely take a look at it, it's only about forty minutes long.

Seanie, I can lend you mine this afternoon?

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Sun May 31, 2009 12:32 pm

Nice :-D

Thanks dude.

Niall

Post by Niall » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:51 pm

A bit off topic but desperados is available here as well. Some nightclubs do stock it.

Attempting to speak french no matter how bad is a good plan. People seem to automatically assume that since youre speaking english you must actually be english which obviously gets you nowhere.
People knowing you are irish can be a big advantage.