kayak quides and gear

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

Vagabond
kayak quides and gear

Post by Vagabond » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:24 pm

I'm meeting a lot of friends in Cork for a wedding at the end of May. 4 of us are planning on staying in Ireland for at least a week afterwards to do a little touring and wanted to do some paddling. 3 of us are experienced paddlers (2 are way out of practice) the 4th is a novice. We need helping finding gear, boats and then someone to point us downriver. My wife and I will bring all of our gear except paddle and boat. The other couple will need everything.

Can someone point me to a shop or individual who can provide the gear and hopefully a guide for three of us to run something in the 3 range. My wife will kill me if I take her too steep and deep on her 2nd run in 4 years, so I've got to keep it reasonable and I'll probably try to start them on something really light. We'll take the novice down class 2 unless there is something that has 3 drops that we have her portage.

We're starting in Cork but can travel. Thanks

Adrians

Re: kayak quides and gear

Post by Adrians » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:02 pm

paddymcc

Post by paddymcc » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:24 pm

Hea Ill sort you out if you need it. We are bassed in the south east and east give me a shout if your interested good sea kayaking this side of the country too if thats your thing.
Give me a shout by mail or phone
[email protected]
or

Cheers
Paddy

muirs

Post by muirs » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:44 pm

Not to be a big doomy gloomy naysayer... but unless there's rain in the few days immediately beforehand, you'll be doing well to find any grade 3's running anywhere at the end of May. Sea / surf may well be your best shot, I'd say keep a close eye on weather forecasts coming up to your trip. And pray that your friends wedding is absolutely washed out of it! :D
Muireann