The Evolution of Kayaking Safety

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

Seanie
The Evolution of Kayaking Safety

Post by Seanie » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:26 pm

Like all sports kayaking is developing. Watching sports like F1 motor racing, the progress from bales of hay on the side of the road, to high-tech protection pods, an evolution of safety can be clearly seen.

Developments in sport often comes on the back of horrible tragedy and I'm afraid kayaking is no different. I know a good few people have lost friends kayaking. I think that this conversation by its very nature is so heavy that its a hard one to have, but necessary.

The first paddler magazine I read had an obituaries section in it. There is no question safety has improved since, but how much? Are we at the start, middle or end? When you start counting all the close calls, the ones people don't hear about, have we come that far, where are we on this evolution of safety?

My questions are:
  • What were some of the turning points in the evolution of kayaking safety, and what has changed since?

Where is kayaking in its process of evolution?
Note: I am talking mainly about grade 4+ paddling and taking an international view of things, not just Irish.

J.K.

Re: The Evolution of Kayaking Safety

Post by J.K. » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:06 pm

I guess the big turning points would be structured safety and rescue courses that are recognised internationally, and improvements in gear - plastic boats, floating ropes.
And your guess is as good as mine, I vouldn't tell you where we are on the timescale of evolution, but hopefully it'll still keep growing and developing.

KevEgan

Re: The Evolution of Kayaking Safety

Post by KevEgan » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:34 pm

There was a good article in Kayak Session a while back about the Alpine Kayak Club (well at least I think that's its name). They talk about a lot of the changes that have been made in kayak safety and who made them.